Cutting Torch

Help Support CattleToday:

When our MFG shop was open, we used Propane. We'd cut 1-3/4" thick steel regularly with Propane and the thickest we ever cut was 5" thick. There is no Propane "mix" in bottles. The Propane we used was the same Propane you use in your gas grill or stove. As mentioned earlier, a different tip is needed for Propane. If you look at the end of the tip, Propane tips have a slot where the gas comes out. ACY tips are circular holes.

Bottles are on a rental bases unless you own them. By putting down a deposit and only having to exchange, there is a rental fee building up. Get your rental pricing so you know what your dealing with. Owning bottles are a hassle, because you have to maintain your own bottle inspections.

Plasma cutter is the best option for occasional use. No dealing with bottle inspections or bottle rentals. You just need to have a good sized air compressor to drive a plasma cutter.

I'll be doing some of the work at the farm which is about 7 miles from my home. This is one reason I'll maintain two. Now I gotta get out there and hang that gate.

Mudhog wrote "There is no Propane "mix" in bottles" Sure there is. Look up the ingredients of MAPP gas. It is now made under different names and slightly different mixtures.

bird dog":205w25as said:
Mudhog wrote "There is no Propane "mix" in bottles" Sure there is. Look up the ingredients of MAPP gas. It is now made under different names and slightly different mixtures.

MAPP is no longer made. The replacement when it can be found is MAP Pro. MAPP burns at 5300 degrees F. MAP Pro is 3600 degrees F, whereas Propane is 3450 degrees F. ACY burns at 6332 degrees F for reference.

That said, MAPP is still no longer made in North America and MAP Pro isn't worth the money when regular old Propane out a BBQ grill bottle will do just as good.

Now there is also Hydrogen gas generators that can be used for cutting torches, but that's some serious dollars. It is an endless supply of fuel though with only water being needed to generate the fuel (besides electricity to power the generator). Hydrogen does burn hotter than ACY too.

My local supplier has a propane mix he calls Flame-X. It burns a little hotter than propane and is about the same cost. If you hook it up to your BBQ grill the thin metal of the burner will be melted in short order. No idea what's in it but it works good.

chevytaHOE5674":2mfjif8e said:
My local supplier has a propane mix he calls Flame-X. It burns a little hotter than propane and is about the same cost. If you hook it up to your BBQ grill the thin metal of the burner will be melted in short order. No idea what's in it but it works good.

Most likely propylene. There is an interesting comparison on the Matheson website between propylene and acetylene and how each one can be better for certain situations.

As far as I know, real MAPP quit being available in 2008 or 2009.
FlameX is a liquid, that is blended at the retail vendor or consumer level into a empty propane bottle that is afterwards filled with propane. The company's website doesn't say exactly what it is except it is an 'aliphatic blend'. Instructions for blending are on their website.
http://www.flamex.com/
http://www.flamex.com/filltank.htm
Specs:
http://www.flamex.com/fxdspecs.htm

MODIFICATION

To modify a standard POL propane tank filler the following steps must be followed:

A. Install a pipe tee (6) suitable for propane between he POL tank filler (A) and the propane filler shut off valve (#3).

B. Install a standard propane, quick close valve (#2) into the third opening in the pipe tee (B).

C. Fabricate a funnel (C) that can be threaded into the open port on valve #2. This completes the modification.

CYLINDER FILLING PROCEDURE

To fill a standard propane cylinder with the proper amount of FXD and propane, complete the following steps:

1. Make sure all valves #1, #2, and #3 are closed completely.

2. Thread the POL filler (A) into the propane cylinder valve #1. Properly tighten the filler to prevent any leaking.

3. Open valve #2 and pour the pre-measured amount of FXD into funnel (C). Inject proper amount of FXD. The FXD will flow into the filler pipe. Close valve #2 !!!!!

4. Make sure valve #2 is closed. Then open valve #1 on the propane cylinder.

5. Open valve #3 on filler hose and fill the cylinder with the proper amount of propane. When the propane first starts flowing into the cylinder the FXD is carried into the cylinder with the propane. Close valve #3.

6. Close valve #1. Remove the filler from the cylinder. This completes the filling cycle.
There's an illustration at the 2nd link above.

Latest posts