Cutting torch problem

Help Support CattleToday:

Nesikep":3kfptado said:
I'm thinking something caused the gauge to blow, overpressure would be #1 culprit considering it's stuck way up there.. find the root cause then replace the gauge
Probably so, considering that gauge shouldn't 'see' anywhere near that much pressure unless someone cranked the regulator in all the way to the stop or the regulator failed.

With the regulator adjustment backed almost all the way out, (you will be able to feel when the spring tension is off of it) & the regulator connected to the pressure source, you should be able to slowly open the tank valve and find there will be nothing coming out either the hose port or from the hose gauge port.
(make sure there is no oil, grease or open flame in the immediate vicinity when you do this)

slick4591":1n6huh1w said:
While you are here... What's happening when your torch pops and the flame goes out?

I did not try to lite it when I found out it was leaking. It was a sufficient enough leak that I could hear it well and my hearing is not good! So I don't know.

I used it 2 days ago and it worked fine. I think Nesi and GB are correct- the LP guage blew that is why I could not trace the leak, it was coming out all around the lens.

slick4591":kr6e7yio said:
While you are here... What's happening when your torch pops and the flame goes out?
You thinking a blowback? Hopefully he has the check valves installed at the torch.
(It sucks when you look back and the whole hose is smoking and melting... )

greybeard":20nkg593 said:
slick4591":20nkg593 said:
You thinking a blowback? Hopefully he has the check valves installed at the torch.

Not really thinking of anything. The boy used it last time and said he had a hard time getting it to stay lit. Said it would make a popping sound and the flame would go out. I had forgotten about it until Ron put up this thread.

greybeard":1zge1rf6 said:
slick4591":1zge1rf6 said:

Actually, I don't have check valves at the torch. I know I should.

while it's certainly a good idea to have flashback arrestors, the likelyhood of it flashing back, especially beyond the regulator is slim, the oxygen line carries no fuel, and the acetylene line has no oxygen for a burn

M-5":2vtyprg6 said:
Tip is stopped up , clean it good.

I mistook this as an explanation for the oxygen leak at the regulator. I see now that you are talking about the popping issue.

Nesikep":1br1a5rs said:
while it's certainly a good idea to have flashback arrestors, the likelyhood of it flashing back, especially beyond the regulator is slim, the oxygen line carries no fuel, and the acetylene line has no oxygen for a burn

Beyond the regulator..no, but it can get into the mixing chamber of the torch and into the hose. Once they get hot, the synthetic material the hoses are made of release enough oxidizer to support flame in the acet hose.

slick4591":24iy62bz said:
Make sure the cutting tip is tight and not leaking any air around it. Also depending on tip size will determine the pressure setting. Acetylene pressure should be 3/5 psi and oxygen pressure around 20 psi. This is good up to about a three size tip.

Bright Raven":3gzzwkjm said:
jltrent":3gzzwkjm said:
Easy fix as mine did the same thing last year.

I ordered this kit and put it in and that fixed it. Make sure you get the right kit and it is easy to put in. The seals just get old and let go and needs replacing.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Victor-SR350D- ... =1%7C1%7C1

Thanks Trent
Pretty sure here is the kit you will need taking the numbers off the front of your regulator as yours is the model 250 as mine is the model 350. The parts are easy to put in.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Victor-250-80- ... m570.l1313

jltrent":332amdg4 said:
Bright Raven":332amdg4 said:
jltrent":332amdg4 said:
Easy fix as mine did the same thing last year.

I ordered this kit and put it in and that fixed it. Make sure you get the right kit and it is easy to put in. The seals just get old and let go and needs replacing.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Victor-SR350D- ... =1%7C1%7C1

Thanks Trent
Pretty sure here is the kit you will need taking the numbers off the front of your regulator as yours is the model 250 as mine is the model 350. The parts are easy to put in.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Victor-250-80- ... m570.l1313

Thanks. Will I need to replace the LP guage?

Latest posts