Torch set?

Help Support CattleToday:

Strange all the pros around here use propane. The scrap yard uses a propane/mapp blend. I use the same amount of oxygen as acy and there maybe a little more slag on the cut but nothing a wack with hammer won't take care of.

My only negative is the larger tank and less flexibility is tank size, so going portable isn't as easy.

I use propylene. Almost as hot as ACY but does use more oxygen.
Incidentally when we built a large fab shop in an existing building around 1990 their was natural gas pumped into the building. After lots of study and arithmetic we decided to use the gas for cutting and put in a liquid oxygen tank and pumped that to each welding station.
This not only saved a bunch on cylinder rental it saved the 15 minutes it took a welder to change one out. Every new fitter we hired would complain about the gas the first day they were there but after learning to use it, most would agree there wasn't much difference, just slightly longer to heat the piece before hitting the cut lever. The system we put in is still used today.

Not long after that is when ACY spiked in price and they came out with a tri-mix gas that was similar to MAPP. Propylene was one of the mixes and after a while the tri-mix experiment went away but the propylene stayed in use. I have used it ever since.

Here is site that explains a lot of what we are discussing.

You should figure in the the 3-4 x more oxygen, the time and the poor quality when you figure propane being cheaper.

Propane is the easiest fuel gas alternative to Acetylene to obtain and is normally supplied in cylinders on a Deposit basis, rather than rented (as is usually the case with Acetylene). For most users, Propane works out cheaper. Like I said if I was in the metal cutting business I would use Mapp gas or consider Acetylene as they both are hotter. Propane will cut what they will cut just a little slower.

I am throwing my propane tanks in the river.
I wish people would quit doing that. Every time the river gets out, I end up with 2 or 3 propane or refrigerant bottles. All empty and/or the old style connections. I have 7-8 on the junk trailer right now to haul off.

Latest posts