Cutting Torch

Help Support CattleToday:

slick4591

Reaction score
I've been wanting a cutting rig for a while now as I've had several occasions where it would have been really handy. I need one again to hang a gate and have given in to buying one instead of hiring it out. I know the Victor brand is quality, but I don't think I need to spend the extra bucks they cost for my every-now-and-then use. Anyone have a suggestion where I could save a few bucks and have something decent? Probably want to stay away from Harbor Freight or Northern unless you know something about the quality that I don't.

Thanks! Never heard of that brand but it's probably up my ally. I could drill it, but I want a torch for other applications.

Uni-bits are only good for thin steel. Thick wall pipe is a no-go, especially since you can only get to it from one side.

I seldom drill a hole. Torch is the way to go if you ask me. I've used a few different torches and never found one that cut much better than another, provided that the tip was clean. The HF torch seems to get good reviews.

Slick , I have a harbor freight torch Everything I read about them stated they were made by victor and I have bought new tips for mine that were victor tips. The hoses are the weakest link on them they work fine but after a couple of yrs they are cracking on the outer rubber. I will replace those as soon as one develops a leak. Unless you are making a living doing it you will likely never have an issue. Your biggest cost will be your tanks . DO NOT buy used tanks unless you inspect them. They don't sell the large tanks anymore so if you find them used they will need to be from your local company. You can buy a slightly smaller homeowner version that you just trade in when you are empty so you never have to worry about your tanks going out of date

M-5":19fv5196 said:
Slick , I have a harbor freight torch Everything I read about them stated they were made by victor and I have bought new tips for mine that were victor tips. The hoses are the weakest link on them they work fine but after a couple of yrs they are cracking on the outer rubber. I will replace those as soon as one develops a leak. Unless you are making a living doing it you will likely never have an issue. Your biggest cost will be your tanks . DO NOT buy used tanks unless you inspect them. They don't sell the large tanks anymore so if you find them used they will need to be from your local company. You can buy a slightly smaller homeowner version that you just trade in when you are empty so you never have to worry about your tanks going out of date

I usually shy away from HF tools, but there torches are quit decent. They have an HVLP gun as well, that's as good as anybodies.

Bigfoot":3jxbg05h said:
M-5":3jxbg05h said:

I usually shy away from HF tools, but there torches are quit decent. They have an HVLP gun as well, that's as good as anybodies.

Bigfoot, I have a shop full of HF tools and such. If you could see how my stuff gets treated you would never question their tools again . I have bought a few things that were not worth the price of admission but I say 95% is worth it for the value and durability . I use and abuse them and it keeps on working

Just got back from town and went by the welding shop. They had a new Best Weld (again by Victor) with 12.5 feet of lines, gauges, cutting and brazing tips with striker for $270.00. I went ahead and purchased with two small bottles. I just need a carrier for the bottles now. I wasn't going to buy today, but I was there and sometimes I can't resist shiny things. lol Thanks for the suggestions. I also have some HF tools, but they are ones that I use very little.

We have to rent the gas cylinders and exchange for refills but the gas company has us by the short and curlies and the price is prohibitive for occaisional use, I use a plasma cutter.

Ken

slick4591":1bemab64 said:
I had to put down a deposit for the cylinders. When empty I just take back and pay for new gas.
And probably once a year you'll have to pay rent on the bottles. That's how it has always worked for me except when I owned my own bottles many years ago.

acetylene is expensive and made by very few companies since that plant blew up in Dallas a few years ago. I have switched to the propane mix gas that comes in the lower pressure bottles like propane cylinders. It takes a bit to get used to because it burns at a lower temp but now I wouldn't switch back. The cylinders weigh a lot less, the gas is less expensive, and a cylinder lasts a lot longer. They do require a bit more oxygen. You might want to look into those if you decide to get shop size cylinders.

bird dog":22j2j831 said:
acetylene is expensive and made by very few companies since that plant blew up in Dallas a few years ago. I have switched to the propane mix gas that comes in the lower pressure bottles like propane cylinders. It takes a bit to get used to because it burns at a lower temp but now I wouldn't switch back. The cylinders weigh a lot less, the gas is less expensive, and a cylinder lasts a lot longer. They do require a bit more oxygen. You might want to look into those if you decide to get shop size cylinders.

Thanks. Guess I'm living in the past because I've not heard of the propane mix, but then again there's not been a reason until now. I'll definitely ask about it.

If your going to be using them with any frequency then go to propane (requires different tips), its way cheaper than Acetylene and much more readily available. I switched to propane 4 or 5 years ago and kept my acetylene tank just in case, but I haven't used it since.

chevytaHOE5674":2r6jf14j said:
If your going to be using them with any frequency then go to propane (requires different tips), its way cheaper than Acetylene and much more readily available. I switched to propane 4 or 5 years ago and kept my acetylene tank just in case, but I haven't used it since.

Great advice, and with someone just starting out its really the way to go. Seems like it takes forever for the steel to get hot with propane when you first switch. Now I don't even think about it.

slick4591":2g8i3mrz said:
Just got back from town and went by the welding shop. They had a new Best Weld (again by Victor) with 12.5 feet of lines, gauges, cutting and brazing tips with striker for $270.00. I went ahead and purchased with two small bottles. I just need a carrier for the bottles now. I wasn't going to buy today, but I was there and sometimes I can't resist shiny things. lol Thanks for the suggestions. I also have some HF tools, but they are ones that I use very little.

12.5 feet of line?! Don' t think you'll be happy with that. I also like 'anti-flashback' dealies between hoses and torch.

LongLopeSlowHorse":2zv88bsj said:
slick4591":2zv88bsj said:

12.5 feet of line?! Don' t think you'll be happy with that. I also like 'anti-flashback' dealies between hoses and torch.

I won't be in the log run when I expand, but I bought the plastic carrier and I can wrap the 12.5 feet around it. It will be handy to just grab it all and take it where I need it away from the house.

I never really like my bottles sitting right next to my hot work area, and it only took once for a blowback in the lines for me to install the check valves at the torch. Usually happens when using a rosebud and lots of flow. Not good, when you look back and your hoses are afire almost back to the regulator--or no flame and you hit the burn lever and black smoke pours out the nozzle.. :lol:
I tend to keep my bottles in the shop and my hot work outside if I can, which means longer hoses.
Irritates me too, most new welding machines come with little short leads.

I couldn't do without my big set up but I wish I also had one of those small kits. There has been many a time where I have to load everything into the the side by side just to go out and cut off one bolt or blow a hole in a fence post.

The company I worked for had one back when I was a iron worker. It was great when we had a call back on a job for a minor fix. Not easy dragging a big torch set up all the way to the roof of a 5 story building just to cut off a piece of angle that was sticking through the brick. They won't cut for long but are major time savers for one cut.

Latest posts