Cuts the butcher might keep, not steal

Help Support CattleToday:

Alan

Reaction score
I posted a question about a hanging tenderloin a while ago and now I think I can remember the butcher at slaughter time trimming something off the end of the ribs and tossing it in a bucket (90% sure). He also skins the skull and cuts out a small steaks from the cheeks. I really don't care about it because of the amount of meat I get back and I trust him to complete my transaction honestly.

But, I will be watching closer and not say anything, more curious than anything. Is there any meat quality in the cheeks and are there other cuts to watch for him to want at slaughter time other than the obvious, tongue, tail, liver, heart?

Alan

I don't know the age of your animal, but I believe, due to the mad cow problems, you cannot get certain cuts back from an animal that is over 30 months old.

These cuts are from the spinal meat and cheeks.

I know there's some mighty fine cheek meat in larger grouper and snapper that most don't think about. I don't see why cattle would be different.on the mad cow thing, loins are along the spine also, so I don't how they can say cheeks and sweetbreads are potential issues

If he threw it in a bucket there's a possibility that it ended up in your grind. Why not ask?

ALACOWMAN":3b2gkszo said:
dun":3b2gkszo said:
If he threw it in a bucket there's a possibility that it ended up in your grind. Why not ask?
like adding fat to hamburger ????
No like adding odd pieces of meat trim from the carcass. I don;t like beef ribs so the ribs are boned out and all the meat goes to grind, as does the neck, etc.

hooknline":2off3e3w said:
I know there's some mighty fine cheek meat in larger grouper and snapper that most don't think about. I don't see why cattle would be different.on the mad cow thing, loins are along the spine also, so I don't how they can say cheeks and sweetbreads are potential issues

Cant forget about the head meat in a catfish. And that jowl meat in your gators aint too shabby neither.

The sides of the head has really delicious meat; but only a few animals, like old blonde bulls have any larger quantities of it. There is a special Swedish dish called "oxkind", literally ox cheek. We can not eat lutfisk every day. :banana: :banana:

ANAZAZI":1m1tnb4l said:
The sides of the head has really delicious meat; but only a few animals, like old blonde bulls have any larger quantities of it. There is a special Swedish dish called "oxkind", literally ox cheek. We can not eat lutfisk every day. :banana: :banana:

How do you ever survive a day without it? :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

There is beef flank steak which is great for fajitas. I think it is an interior rib meat. Adds a few bucks to your total carcass value but there's not much of it.

Speaking of- how do you get rid of liver? I was thing about feeding it to the fish pond :???:

shaz":ai0yq6zr said:
There is beef flank steak which is great for fajitas. I think it is an interior rib meat. Adds a few bucks to your total carcass value but there's not much of it.

Speaking of- how do you get rid of liver? I was thing about feeding it to the fish pond :???:
You slice liver about 1/2 inch thick, dust it with flour and cook it slowly till it's just pink inside.

dun":qvphr17g said:
shaz":qvphr17g said:

You slice liver about 1/2 inch thick, dust it with flour and cook it slowly till it's just pink inside.

Its also good sliced and cooked slow on the BBQ :cowboy:

funky 4-Her":kscm1u5b said:
dun":kscm1u5b said:
shaz":kscm1u5b said:

Its also good sliced and cooked slow on the BBQ :cowboy:

Cooked well done (without onions)...THEN, the "Other Dog Food!"

P.S.: I'd eat tree bark before I'd attempt to eat any "organ meat"...even in a survival mode...lol.

Tongue and tail are the furthest I will venture into that culinary cuisine and even the tongue has to be done like a brisket for me to eat it.

Liver is dog food and is not allowed in my house unless it is freeze dried and in a sealed bag, even then I have to hold my nose when giving treats the the pup. :frowns:

Don't even mention head cheese or kidneys :help:

cow pollinater":w2ug8qey said:
We have people around here that will ask if they can scavenge the maternity barn for uneaten placentas :D

beingsick.gif

Latest posts