Cuts the butcher might keep, not steal

Help Support CattleToday:

alan;
without knowing the circumstances, i would venture a guess that you have a significant mexican population in your area. if that is the case, cheek meat is cooked to make barbacoa - a specialty item in mexican cuisine especially on sunday mornings. that bucket you're refering to could be the first step. i don't particulary care for barbacoa as it is a little greasy for my taste, but those that do are true believers...

hillsdown":vqww7rlk said:
Tongue and tail are the furthest I will venture into that culinary cuisine and even the tongue has to be done like a brisket for me to eat it.

Liver is dog food and is not allowed in my house unless it is freeze dried and in a sealed bag, even then I have to hold my nose when giving treats the the pup. :frowns:

Don't even mention head cheese or kidneys :help:

There are many culinary items of diet that are ethnic, racial, or even tribal in origin that are anathema to many individuals, or even classes of people in different parts of the world. What humans eat is pre-determined to a large extent on necessity and availability of source. "Starving to death" is not an option in the protocols of most people!

Protein is absolutely mandatory for the sustenance of plant and animal bodies, and is essential to the diet of animals- even human beings! Therefore, the acquiring of protein is JOB 1 in the struggle for living. An animal, ANY animal, will experiment with eating ANYTHING to be able to continue living rather than venturing into a permanent state of "Goodnight Irene!"

Worms, Ants, Maggots, Rattlesnakes, (ANY snakes!,) Pond Scum, Beets and Cucumbers (they are in the same catagory as Pond Skum) are items that are TOPS on my "Do Not Touch" list! On the other hand - - - before I would succumb to the grim reaper without a battle - - - I might close my eyes, hold my nose and - - - try an ant. :bday: :bs:

DOC HARRIS

IMO, the best way to not have to eat "undesirable things" is to never put yourself in a place or situation where survival skills would be necessary to stay alive (mandatory military service in a godforsaken place excepted). It also includes not having enough "normal" food (for you) on a hiking, camping, exploring, etc., trip where you might run out of food due to getting lost and/or getting injured, etc., and couldn't get back to "civilization".

Of course, even if you are a victim of a natural disaster, "normal" food still isn't very far away by some means...as long as you stay out of strange, exotic, and dangerous environments...

;-)

dun":3rocy9kf said:
shaz":3rocy9kf said:
There is beef flank steak which is great for fajitas. I think it is an interior rib meat. Adds a few bucks to your total carcass value but there's not much of it.

Speaking of- how do you get rid of liver? I was thing about feeding it to the fish pond :???:
You slice liver about 1/2 inch thick, dust it with flour and cook it slowly till it's just pink inside.
Then you feed it to the dog....... :D

dun":11kgle8q said:
shaz":11kgle8q said:
There is beef flank steak which is great for fajitas. I think it is an interior rib meat. Adds a few bucks to your total carcass value but there's not much of it.

Speaking of- how do you get rid of liver? I was thing about feeding it to the fish pond :???:
You slice liver about 1/2 inch thick, dust it with flour and cook it slowly till it's just pink inside.
add a big sliced onion in with it and your good to go

Angus Cowman":lkjwvr3l said:
dun":lkjwvr3l said:
shaz":lkjwvr3l said:

add gravy and diced bacon and serve on toast for breakfast. Yum! Its a good one for women feeling a bit iron deficient once a month

We knew that you do not eat the hide from the cow before she is slaughtered! :banana:

Keren":29hbq02v said:
Angus Cowman":29hbq02v said:
dun":29hbq02v said:
add gravy and diced bacon and serve on toast for breakfast. Yum! Its a good one for women feeling a bit iron deficient once a month[/quote]
Never had it that way but I like it fried with onions and served with fried taters and gravy with a thick slab of homemade bread and real butter
think I might have some for supper tonite

DOC HARRIS":2oumtdj8 said:
hillsdown":2oumtdj8 said:
Tongue and tail are the furthest I will venture into that culinary cuisine and even the tongue has to be done like a brisket for me to eat it.

Liver is dog food and is not allowed in my house unless it is freeze dried and in a sealed bag, even then I have to hold my nose when giving treats the the pup. :frowns:

Don't even mention head cheese or kidneys :help:

There are many culinary items of diet that are ethnic, racial, or even tribal in origin that are anathema to many individuals, or even classes of people in different parts of the world. What humans eat is pre-determined to a large extent on necessity and availability of source. "Starving to death" is not an option in the protocols of most people!

Protein is absolutely mandatory for the sustenance of plant and animal bodies, and is essential to the diet of animals- even human beings! Therefore, the acquiring of protein is JOB 1 in the struggle for living. An animal, ANY animal, will experiment with eating ANYTHING to be able to continue living rather than venturing into a permanent state of "Goodnight Irene!"

Worms, Ants, Maggots, Rattlesnakes, (ANY snakes!,) Pond Scum, Beets and Cucumbers (they are in the same catagory as Pond Skum) are items that are TOPS on my "Do Not Touch" list! On the other hand - - - before I would succumb to the grim reaper without a battle - - - I might close my eyes, hold my nose and - - - try an ant. :bday: :bs:

DOC HARRIS

DOC, Rattlesanke is GOOD. Tastes just like chicken!
One of my husband girlfriends - years ago - cooked him supper. He dearly loved it until.....she told him tose piecedf of meat he thought was so tasty were actually ... yup - mountain oysters. She wasn't quite so polite in the naming. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Valerie

[
One of my husband girlfriends - years ago - cooked him supper. He dearly loved it until.....she told him tose piecedf of meat he thought was so tasty were actually ... yup - mountain oysters. She wasn't quite so polite in the naming. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Valerie[/quote]

doc; i second the rattlesnake being good. fillet the snake, cut into 3-4 inch long pieces and soak in milk over night. fry like catfish. most people don't know the difference - i know my last wife didn't :lol2: -no spring snakes-

tsmaxx47":2xw95bzi said:
[
Valerie

doc; i second the rattlesnake being good. fillet the snake, cut into 3-4 inch long pieces and soak in milk over night. fry like catfish. most people don't know the difference - i know my last wife didn't :lol2: -no spring snakes-[/quote]

I was struck on the boot heel by a 4' long rattlesnake in an Eastern Colorado Wheat Field 61 years ago! Never forgot it! Still can't forget it :dunce: :shock: It is not the taste that is anathema to me. It is the :devil2: SNAKE! I won't even wear a snakeskin hatband because - - - at ONE time it was being worn by a snake!! I don't like snakes. I abhor snakes! I avoid snakes. I don't want to touch a snake. I don't want a snake to touch me. I hacked a 5' long rattlesnake in half with a very sharp hand ax in California one time on a camping trip with ONE stroke!! It was coiled and threatening my wife and three sons, and I had no choice. The only negative thing about the experience was - we had no underwear washing machine with us on the camping trip!!

I don't care for rattlesnakes.

DOC HARRIS

Ok, but do you think if I throw it in the fish pond the bass may eat it? Benefit from it somehow?

The stuff makes potted meat look good. There has to be some way to get rid of it other than throwing it to the coyotes. I ain't feed'n no buzzards anything but a shotgun shell either!

DOC HARRIS":25syaq4r said:
tsmaxx47":25syaq4r said:
[
Valerie

doc; i second the rattlesnake being good. fillet the snake, cut into 3-4 inch long pieces and soak in milk over night. fry like catfish. most people don't know the difference - i know my last wife didn't :lol2: -no spring snakes-

I was struck on the boot heel by a 4' long rattlesnake in an Eastern Colorado Wheat Field 61 years ago! Never forgot it! Still can't forget it :dunce: :shock: It is not the taste that is anathema to me. It is the :devil2: SNAKE! I won't even wear a snakeskin hatband because - - - at ONE time it was being worn by a snake!! I don't like snakes. I abhor snakes! I avoid snakes. I don't want to touch a snake. I don't want a snake to touch me. I hacked a 5' long rattlesnake in half with a very sharp hand ax in California one time on a camping trip with ONE stroke!! It was coiled and threatening my wife and three sons, and I had no choice. The only negative thing about the experience was - we had no underwear washing machine with us on the camping trip!!

I don't care for rattlesnakes.

DOC HARRIS[/quote]

Doc you really need to quit holdin back and tell us what you really think of snakes........BTW i agree wholeheartedly :tiphat: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

funky 4-Her":1a7ugc0s said:
dun":1a7ugc0s said:
shaz":1a7ugc0s said:

Its also good sliced and cooked slow on the BBQ :cowboy:
What ain't? :cowboy:

Latest posts