Current prices here in Va.

Help Support CattleToday:

farmerjan

Reaction score
Took a few calves in yesterday to the local sale. Prices were surprisingly higher on the steers than we were thinking. Only took 6 as we moved a bunch out of a pasture that several insisted on going through the "not so good fencing".... and a couple kept going across the dirt road into the field to eat green grass ( it's always greener on the other side).

2 were in the 350 range, one off a crazy cow that went also, the other from a cow that had died. 1.57
2 were in the 410-415 range, 1.47 & 1.65; one was just a nicer chunkier calf
1 nice red steer 515 1.43
1 fair to decent black steer 545 1.31. not real thick but decent.

the 2 biggest were the 2 out loose all the time; I think the black could have done a little better but was a little lower than the average for most all that I watched in that size range. Many brought in the 1.40-1.50 range for the 5 wts.
4 wts seemed to do good. Most all were in the 1.45 to 1.65 range.... the lower end being bulls and the higher end being steers.
3 wts nearly all brought in the 1.60's . Not alot of them, mostly singles or pairs.
Even saw a pair of jerseys weighing 385 average, bring $.89 which is really high for jerseys.
6 wts were in the 1.30's and low 1.40's for a few.

Didn't stay for the heifers, or the cull/pound cows. That nut case cow was not coming back no matter what.

Had near 1,000 head. Weather was nice, 70-80's and sunny. From frost last week to this "heat wave"....

FlyingLSimmentals said:
Sold 5 today in KY. 3 Heifers weighing 477, 478, 505 for 1.3750 lb.
1 Bull weighed 345 at 1.75
1 Bull weighed 455 at 1.5950

The heifer prices are really good compared to here. And the bull prices are better than here too as the bulls here will run $.25 less per pound than the steers. Didn't go to the sale yesterday. Son came up and we worked 10 through the chute that I had gotten in at one pasture. Calves have been coming in the creep gate and I have been feeding a little feed in the manger in the little barn there. Then they have been hanging out inside as the flies don't come in as much. Got 3 or 4 more that are in the 300 lb size. These didn't get done before I had my ankle replacement, and I am now just getting to getting around some since the boot is off and I can maneuver a bit better. Since the ankle is improving, I am really feeling it in the knees.... so get the other few done and move some out to grass. Gotta preg check, these are first calf heifers and the calves are pretty good. May wean them off and give the girls a little bit more time off. Did see 3 calves on the one charl cross first calf heifer, she is thin.... poor thing is just a milk wagon for all these calves. That is one nice thing though, this group all pretty much grew up together and they all sort of "co-mother". Even took on a twin from another place that I had been bottle feeding and let out with the other calves to socialize. He started sucking off anyone that let him and refused to take a bottle so I just let him go. Nice and quiet and calm in the barn and came back in after we banded, about 15 min later, looking for more grain....

76 Bar said:
Thanks for the market update & further insight about your program Jan. Its greatly appreciated.

Thanks 76Bar. Just thought that I would add that we don't do much creep feeding. But this one place I calve all the first calf heifers and the heifers seem to do a little better if I creep the calves a little, as then they don't seem to get so pulled down. This is decent grass but not super good. But there is a small barn there with a catch pen and I can put grain in the feeders and in the barn and have 90 % of the animals in there in 10 minutes. So I fix a creep gate for the calves, they get a 5 gal bucket for every 6-10 calves a couple times a week so then they know that I am not the bad guy, but someone that gives them a little treat and they are quieter in the barn when we get them in. I have a couple of times had to get one in, like a few months ago, that had one leg out. Calf's other leg was down and I never would have been able to do anything if I hadn't been able to walk her to the barn and get her in with a little grain. Calf was dead, got it out, and she mooned around for a day or two and I didn't try to put a calf on her but let her dry up. She should be bred for a fall calf now. It is a pasture that is pretty easy to find them as they are calving but still has some wooded areas. I keep my nurse cows there also and can use the barn to let cows in and get calves on them and such. Works for my rinky dink set up.

Latest posts