How to Understand Cattle Pricing and Current Prices

Help Support CattleToday:

The extension people in our area wouldn't know the front from the rear of a cow. Zero chance I'm asking those "be nice" people anything.
I worked for a conservation district for 20+ years. That put me working with both extension and NRCS. I always said you could give them the keys to the ranch with everything paid for and they would lose it in 3 years. There are some good ones but they are certainly out numbered.

I worked for a conservation district for 20+ years. That put me working with both extension and NRCS. I always said you could give them the keys to the ranch with everything paid for and they would lose it in 3 years. There are some good ones but they are certainly out numbered.
We had a good one at nrcs and extension office, one at nrcs retired after 38 years and one at extension office transferred. I haven't dealt with the new ones, hope they're as good as the old ones.

We had a good one at nrcs and extension office, one at nrcs retired after 38 years and one at extension office transferred. I haven't dealt with the new ones, hope they're as good as the old ones.
Hard to replace those good ones. One of the things I noticed was that a lot of those old hands were ranch or farm raised as kids. Getting more and more difficult to find that background. Education is nice but real world experience is often much better.

My NRCS guys are great to work with. Grown up with cattle and still have them.
My extension agent is good also. A lady that grew up showing calves. We may not always agree on everything but she will get any info I request and help anyway she can. She is very good on soils and forage which is what I need help with. She actually is/was a member on CT.

My NRCS guys are great to work with. Grown up with cattle and still have them.
My extension agent is good also. A lady that grew up showing calves. We may not always agree on everything but she will get any info I request and help anyway she can. She is very good on soils and forage which is what I need help with. She actually is/was a member on CT.
The guys in my county have been competent. Gave me some good advice about resting my place for a few years after the place had been grazed down to the ground during the hard drought the year previous to my ownership.

That first year the place was covered with broomweed and wild mustard. After two years of rest, couldn't find hardly any broomweed on the place. I know the seeds are still in the seed bank, but the management practices they recommended have brought back the forage.

Also went from seeing stressed wildlife to wildlife looking fat and healthy, even during this recent drought.

When my bull purchase plans fell through this past fall, I called the same guy and told him about my emergency. Asked if he knew anybody. Had a decent beef bull delivered to my place by the next day. I felt like the little that I did overpay was appropriate, considering the circumstances. And the bull seems to have the genetics to improve my motley herd.

So I think they are doing a competent job, at least in my experience.

The comments around here on extension agents was that they couldn't make it farming so they went to work at the extension office. Sad thing is that it was true just north of me and 2 of them took paid for inherited farms and practically lost the farms.... sold out the dairy cattle and managed to hold on to the land... but there is an inherited "lazy" gene in there too... lotta talk and little work.

Ever seen any research on cattle trading? One facit of cattle that can make money with minimal inputs no matter the cattle price.
I kind of fell into trading cattle by accident. I don't know of any books or "research", but it's much like anything else... trial and error and if you're doing it right you make money.

Latest posts