Cultural Changes with time

Help Support CattleToday:

pdfangus said:
Nesikep said:
I watch Married with Children for nostalgia... it's from the mid 90s... not a cell phone to be seen
There were cell phones then..but they were in cars...I was a manufacturers rep back then covering parts of seven states and I had one...then I worked for three years for a battery company and one of my jobs was installing backup batteries in cellphone tower sites.

Al Bundy was no such person.. Kids were raised on toaster leavin's

The toaster leavins were a treat...I'll never be able to pass a shoe store and not think of Al Bundy..same regarding a large librarian.
"See a pie..eat a pie..."

herofan said:
Dave said:
I believe a lot of culture change depends on location. I know that when I left Western Washington in the late 70's and went to SE Alaska it was like going back in time. Them one year when things shut down for the winter in Alaska I decide to go to California and hang out with all the girls at the beach. Talk about culture shock. Here in cow country of Eastern Oregon things haven't change nearly like they have at the cities on the coast. Location will have a huge impact on change.

That's a very good point too. For example, there was no hippie culture in my area of Ky in the 60s, and I never heard my grandparents say that the Beatles was a life-changer for them I'm sure they barely knew the Beatles existed. :lol: I've even heard my grandparents talk about how the Great Depression didn't affect them much. They were already living roughly and producing most of what they consumed, but people in cities didn't raise hogs and live off the land, so it hit them hard. It reminds me of a line from an Alabama song; "Somebody told us Wall Street fell, but we were so poor that we couldn't tell."

Herofan, that sounds very similar to what I have heard too. I'm sure my grandparents or parents didn't know about the Beatles, maybe Beetle Bailey, or the real six legged beetles like June bugs. In my life time the early years of Japanese beetles was a memorable experience. Most the older folks I knew never really talked about personal experiences from their or their families perspective of the Depression. They always quoted somebody as saying they didnt know it was any different they ate "old ham" right on through it. Most people around here raised sizeable gardens and canned and preserved everything they could. Most folks would fatten some hogs and cure the hams, shoulders, wouldn't let any of the rest of it go to waste either. My dad was born in 1925. I reckon that they lived off of the farm and what his dad made as tenant farmer, that dad said when he got his first job he was making so much money he didnt know what to do with it. Unfortunately, he like everyone else figured it out soon enough. I think a lot of the change has to do with our higher standards of living. We think we have to have things that our grandparents never dreamed about.
As for the hippie culture, I never heard much about it in terms of local either. Used to hear stories about transient folks coming through and helping on the farm, some would come through annually and stay in my grandparents home while they worked then would move on.

I wonder why it's human nature to remember the past with such fondness and to think things were so so much better in our past? Most people like the music from their youth and think modern music is garbage. Oddly, thirty years from now, somebody will be talking about how great the music was from the 2010s.

Even though modern machinery makes farming much easier that it was many years ago, we still like to look back on it as the good old days.

For some reason, I've really been nostalgic lately. Like I wrote earlier, I must be getting old.

herofan said:
I wonder why it's human nature to remember the past with such fondness and to think things were so so much better in our past? Most people like the music from their youth and think modern music is garbage. Oddly, thirty years from now, somebody will be talking about how great the music was from the 2010s.

Even though modern machinery makes farming much easier that it was many years ago, we still like to look back on it as the good old days.

For some reason, I've really been nostalgic lately. Like I wrote earlier, I must be getting old.

Herofan, I have been pondering similar things as well. I think it could possibly be due to things in the present and future looking difficult, complicated and frankly just uncertainty over the unknown. I have heard older folks say statements like it was hard but we didnt have to worry about this this and this, fill in the blanks of what ever the worries could be. Our preacher used to quote somebody, think it was a famous ball player but cant remember who as saying "Things ain't like they used to be probably never was".
Funny thing, yesterday my wife and I went to western KY to visit with my 91 yr old aunt and uncle. My wife can somehow work her phone through the truck and play music off of the phone through the truck radio. With all that modern doings we were listening to mainly songs from our youth or older that we used to listen to.

65 years ago we did not know much more than what happened in the town closet to us. Now we can get on line and see what is going on everywhere in the World and worry about something we know nothing about and cannot do any thing about except worry.

Ky hills said:
herofan said:

Herofan, I have been pondering similar things as well. I think it could possibly be due to things in the present and future looking difficult, complicated and frankly just uncertainty over the unknown. I have heard older folks say statements like it was hard but we didnt have to worry about this this and this, fill in the blanks of what ever the worries could be. Our preacher used to quote somebody, think it was a famous ball player but cant remember who as saying "Things ain't like they used to be probably never was".
Funny thing, yesterday my wife and I went to western KY to visit with my 91 yr old aunt and uncle. My wife can somehow work her phone through the truck and play music off of the phone through the truck radio. With all that modern doings we were listening to mainly songs from our youth or older that we used to listen to.

I enjoyed your comments. I believe there is truth that we can look back in the past, and even if some of it was bad, at least we know how it turned out; there are no surprises with the past. With the future, however, it's uncertain, and therein lies some anxiety and fear.

Your wife used a modern device to listen to the oldies. I do the same thing. There's no way that one can argue that technology doesn't make things easier these days, but it doesn't always hold the sparkle it once did. Speaking of music, I remember the days when everybody owned a few albums, and we had radio that we hoped we would get lucky enough to hear our favorite song. These days, we can own a thousand songs and listen to any song any time we want. There's no such thing as a "hard to find" song anymore. But somehow, a little something was lost along the way. Even though I can have a thousand songs at my fingertips, it's just not as magical as back then, but that doesn't make any sense does it?

herofan said:
Ky hills said:
herofan said:

I enjoyed your comments. I believe there is truth that we can look back in the past, and even if some of it was bad, at least we know how it turned out; there are no surprises with the past. With the future, however, it's uncertain, and therein lies some anxiety and fear.

Your wife used a modern device to listen to the oldies. I do the same thing. There's no way that one can argue that technology doesn't make things easier these days, but it doesn't always hold the sparkle it once did. Speaking of music, I remember the days when everybody owned a few albums, and we had radio that we hoped we would get lucky enough to hear our favorite song. These days, we can own a thousand songs and listen to any song any time we want. There's no such thing as a "hard to find" song anymore. But somehow, a little something was lost along the way. Even though I can have a thousand songs at my fingertips, it's just not as magical as back then, but that doesn't make any sense does it?

Hadn't thought about that angle, I used to think it was a pretty big thing when a song I liked came on.

Ky hills said:
Hadn't thought about that angle, I used to think it was a pretty big thing when a song I liked came on.

Same here. I can also remember searching the record stores looking for a song I wanted that was hard to find, and then when I finally found it, I felt like I had struck gold. Today, all I have to do is go to a device, and there is all I need.
It's better, but just not quite as exciting as the old way.

One obvious cultural change is more celebration of lesser achievements.
Historically graduating classes have announced their Valedictorian and Salutatorian.
Today even high schools with less than 40 graduates announce the top 5 honor graduates.

Son of Butch said:
Historically graduating classes have announced their Valedictorian and Salutatorian.
Today even high schools with less than 40 graduates announce the top 5 honor graduates.

Very true, and everybody these days has to act like everything is so exciting. Things that were once normal are now amazing and incredible. This is really exhibited in school. I remember my principal was a serious authoritative figure. These days they are always in a mood like they're announcing a horse race. Everything is soooooo incredible. Yuk.

herofan said:
Son of Butch said:

Very true, and everybody these days has to act like everything is so exciting. Things that were once normal are now amazing and incredible. This is really exhibited in school. I remember my principal was a serious authoritative figure. These days they are always in a mood like they're announcing a horse race. Everything is soooooo incredible. Yuk.

I hate gender reveal parties for babies. I was born in '82, my folks didn't have any US's down. Had they, they would have known I had a cardiac issue coming down the pike. B/c of my history, we had a couple with our son. When we were in one, I knew that we were having a son, but I sat on it b/c 1) I wanted the surprise and 2) it p#$$ed off my FIL. I think it's important to celebrate accomplishments in life, though. For example, my wife won her class in cutting horses. It was the $250 limit rider class. Those of you that know anything about that sport know how little that is and easy it is to win $250. We were just beginning. Not only did we learn how to ride horses that first year, but we learned how to cut. So, it was an amazing accomplishment for her to win her class in just her second year of competing. Should she not have gotten a buckle? Should she not display it b/c it's the lowest class in a small local club here in Idaho?

I attended the county FFA4H awards ceremony and right after the 'special' awards and trophies, every other member got a little dinky acrylic/plastic pyramid shaped thing with something inscribed on it. Those recipients looked about as excited as I was when my wife fixed me brussels sprouts..ONCE.

'no child left behind' sort of thing..

I feel for the parents, all I see is the money those trophies cost us. Plus the time I wasted building shelves on 3 walls for all the kids trophies. My son has thrown most of his out and my daughter is thinning them down every time she cleans her room. Do what you can there only kids once.

Bestoutwest said:
So, it was an amazing accomplishment for her to win her class in just her second year of competing. Should she not have gotten a buckle? Should she not display it b/c it's the lowest class in a small local club here in Idaho?

I know nothing about that, but from what you described, I think it's fine that it was celebrated. I think the thing that makes people nauseous today is that things that were not once celebrated are now a big deal. It reminds me of a scene from a movie where a guy was puzzled at someone displaying a trophy for 9th place.

It also seems like everything is given more equal attention too. Among its followers, first prize in the "draw the best potato" contest produces as much excitement as winning the Super Bowl.

As for celebration, I'm all for recognition, but I could pass on public celebration. For example, I won teacher of the year about 12 years ago; somebody wins it every year. Personally, it would have meant much more to me if the administration had sat down with me for 15 minutes and explained why I was so awesome that I was teacher of the year.

Instead, we had to waste an entire day going to a celebration function honoring the top teachers from that year. We got to hear some boring speeches, eat some so so food, and get our pictures taken for the paper. I think we got a certificate too. I could have passed on that. It really meant nothing to me.

The celebration of mediocrity. Devalues most everything. Its why wrestling has been, is and will always be my favorite sport. Those kids learn at an early age about winning, losing and placing...all with grace hopefully. You shake your opponents hand before the match. Go to work for 3 periods (more or less),shake their hand again, and only one of you is getting their hand raised after that. At the bigger tournaments, they have a podium like the olympics. First place is at the top, then everyone descends from there. No BS about feelings or inferiority. The kid that got the job done best that day is elevated. Simple. No excuses; no other team mates to blame. You own your wins. You own your losses.

Just to clarify herofan, i in no way meant to imply you being named teacher of the year was mediocrity.

Im not as nostalgic i suppose. I thoroughly enjoy the era im currently living in. Information is available about virtually any topic. I enjoy and value that. The challenge is sifting through it all to claim the quality, accurate, helpful info and disregard the inaccurate misinformation. Youtube videos explain and show how to do so very many things. Priceless.

bball said:
Just to clarify herofan, i in no way meant to imply you being named teacher of the year was mediocrity.

Im not as nostalgic i suppose. I thoroughly enjoy the era im currently living in. Information is available about virtually any topic. I enjoy and value that. The challenge is sifting through it all to claim the quality, accurate, helpful info and disregard the inaccurate misinformation. Youtube videos explain and show how to do so very many things. Priceless.

No problem. I understand what you meant.

Latest posts