Cultural Changes with time

Help Support CattleToday:

herofan

Reaction score
I don't know why, but I've been a little nostalgic and thinking about the past lately; I guess I'm getting old. I guess there are many paths one's mind could go down. I've been thinking about some movies and tv shows that were set in a time period earlier than when they were produced. I realize there have been a lot of changes in the last 10, 20, 30, and 40 years, but has it really changed as much as past other times?

Culturally, there was nostalgia for the 1950s during the 1970s. It was displayed in different movies and tv shows that lasted almost the entire decade. The movie, "American Graffiti" from 1973 was one of the first items. The movie was actually set in 1962 with a 50s flavor. That was 11 years earlier, and that got me to thinking, would a movie today set in 2008 for the purpose of being nostalgic really get that much attention? Is there really anything classic from 2008 that would bring back waves of enjoyment to revisit in a movie? I don't think it would from me. Sure, there have been some changes, but does any of us really look at that as the good old days? I doubt it.

The next year, Happy Days came along. I remember watching the first couple of seasons of that show and just thinking about how the cars, clothes, music, and styles were so different from the 70s. It seemed like something from a time capsule. Happy days started in 1974, and I believe the first season was set in 1957 or 58. Today, that would be like doing a series set in 2003 for the sake of nostalgia. Would anyone really care? Would it really seem that different to the point that it would be interesting? If I happen to see an episode of Friends, CSI, or ER from 2003, I'm not watching in amazement at how it looks so different and how times have changed so much. That rarely gets my attention even if it's a show from the 90s like Seinfeld. Sure, there are differences, but does it really create that "different" feeling that Happy Days did?

I also think of The Waltons. That show started in 1972, and it's first season was set in 1933. That's a 39 year difference. I remember my parents and grandparents talking back then about how it sure depicted a "different time" and how things had changed so much since then. Now, that would be like doing a show set in 1980. I'm sure we could make a list a mile long of things that have changed since then; technology would be a huge one, but does it really stick out as worth revisiting? What would the "Fonzie" of 1980, 2003, or 2008 look like? Would there even be one?

Not only did these times show differences, but there was something fascinating about how it used to be. Was 2003 or 2008 really that fascinating compared to today?

Of course, we all have our own personal memories from those times that are precious to us, but as far as culture goes, was the past that fascinating from those times, or am I just seeing it differently as I age?

Think of it like this, for a person my age:

In the 60s and 70s, every where I looked a new door of opportunity was opening. When I reached 50 in 2000, the doors were closing. Now so many doors are closing - not opening. There in lies the lure of nostalgia.

Bright Raven said:

In the 60s and 70s, every where I looked a new door of opportunity was opening. When I reached 50 in 2000, the doors were closing. Now so many doors are closing - not opening. There in lies the lure of nostalgia.

I understand that completely. We all have our own good old days. I guess I'm speaking of more general. Apparently, the 50s were fascinating enough that people enjoyed thinking about it in the 70s. I'm just thinking that the 2000s aren't nearly as fascinating yet.

herofan said:
Bright Raven said:

I understand that completely. We all have our own good old days. I guess I'm speaking of more general. Apparently, the 50s were fascinating enough that people enjoyed thinking about it in the 70s. I'm just thinking that the 2000s aren't nearly as fascinating yet.
[
/quote]

I find 2000's very fascinating and disgusting, we lost our freedom and rights in 2001. And almost lost our country in 2008. Lot's of history in that decade.

herofan said:
Bright Raven said:

The 60s, 70s, and even into the 80s are nostalgic for me. College was a wonderful time in my life. I am a knowledge fanatic. I would relish if time could stand still and I could take every college course that exists.

It all depends on your exposure to different people and their experience over time.
My great grandma was a surviving widow of the Confederacy. Grandparents born in 1870's and 80's parents in 1914. I am amazed by the individuals that I got to converse with that shaped my thinking. I would
have trouble picking one nostalgical time.

The 50's must have been awesome. People were coveting it less than 20 years later.

I wouldn't want to go back and live like the Waltons. It is hard to believe that show was started in 1972. Dang were did time go.

Bigfoot said:
The 50's must have been awesome. People were coveting it less than 20 years later.

That's what I'm trying to say. I'm not so much concerned about someone's personal nostalgia; we all have our good times from the past. But I find it fascinating, as you wrote, that in general, people were coveting the 50s less than 20 years later. In comparison, I don't think the 2000s were such a unique period that people are longing for it like they did the 50s.

herofan said:
Bigfoot said:

That's what I'm trying to say. I'm not so much concerned about someone's personal nostalgia; we all have our good times from the past. But I find it fascinating, as you wrote, that in general, people were coveting the 50s less than 20 years later. In comparison, I don't think the 2000s were such a unique period that people are longing for it like they did the 50s.

The first decade of the 21st century, was mundane. There is not much that I personally can identify with it. It was a bland time period. The second decade has been much the same for me. I cannot think of any art, entertainment, or cultural uniqueness that identifies it.

Perhaps it is because so many people are absorbed in technology.

Bright Raven said:
herofan said:
Bigfoot said:

The first decade of the 21st century, was mundane. There is not much that I personally can identify with it. It was a bland time period. The second decade has been much the same for me. I cannot think of any art, entertainment, or cultural uniqueness that identifies it.

Perhaps it is because so many people are absorbed in technology.

Yes, this is more of what I was trying to say. I just don't see a lot of defining, different characteristics from recent decades as I believe once existed, and I'm just using movies and tv to help describe it. I just don't think the last few decades would be interesting enough to make a movie about just for the sake of looking back. It seems rather bland to me.

My take on it is that the 50's were the changing years of our entire nation after years of World War II and the great depression. it was the time of an economic boom paralleled in human history up until then. It was a time of new freedom and economic opportunity and society was changing at a pace that was also previously unimagined...Society was changing from roles that had endured for generations...the basics of technology were changing lives....teevee was being widespread adopted....everybody had transportation...subdivisions were invented...it was a time of unparalleled optimism and national growth.

the 50's were special....... because the 50's were special.

pdfangus said:
My take on it is that the 50's were the changing years of our entire nation after years of World War II and the great depression. it was the time of an economic boom paralleled in human history up until then. It was a time of new freedom and economic opportunity and society was changing at a pace that was also previously unimagined...Society was changing from roles that had endured for generations...the basics of technology were changing lives....teevee was being widespread adopted....everybody had transportation...subdivisions were invented...it was a time of unparalleled optimism and national growth.

the 50's were special....... because the 50's were special.

I think you captured it. Well said.

I think the visual part has changed too. I believe some past decades had certain fashions that were considered in style, and that is what most people followed. If one were asked to list hair and clothing styles if the 50s, 60s, and 70s, for example, I think certain things would automatically come to mind.

In the last couple of decades, however, I believe that specific style that defines a generation has went by the wayside. When I was in high school, most guys hair at least partially covered their ears. If a guy had come to school with a buzz cut, people would have thought he had lost his mind. Even the teachers had shaggier hairstyles.

Today in high school, I see every hairstyle known to man; there's buzz cuts, hippie hair, green hair, and everything in between, and nobody cares. It's all good. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, but just making an observation. I think the specific, defining styles have waned in the last several years.

Memories caught on film from times past are interesting.I was born in 1941 and my mother would take a lot of photos with her Kodak as she called it. It was a simple box camera and she had to send the film off to Fox Studios to have it developed. Those photos are crisp and clear to this day. My wife and I bought one of the thirty five millimeter cameras and we shot a lot of family photos in color. The colored photos have become dim in time and hardly recognizable. I thought the other day about photos and realized nearly every family get together is filmed with some ones camera phone and never any hard copies made at all. How in the future will children be able to see what their grand parents looked like or will it even matter. So much for memories

herofan said:
What would the "Fonzie" of 1980, 2003, or 2008 look like? Would there even be one?
Fonzie a fictional character, but personas of real persons considered cool by the media of their era
James Dean of the '50s dead at age 24
Tupac Shukar of the '90s dead at age 25

Fonzie had kind of a James Dean vibe/aura.
I doubt any on Cattle Forum would get nostalgic over Tupac or any other with his vibe/aura.
But there are segments of society that probably do.

I had a good friend (deceased now) that was on an elevator with Hitler at the Olympics a a boy. He also met Sigmund Freud and Max Schmeling on a ship crossing the Atlantic. During WWII he was a commander of a PT Boat in California and became good friends with Humphrey Bogart and Lauren BaCall at the Marina he was stationed at. You had to drag the stories out of him, but that man lived in many different eras.

Son of Butch said:
herofan said:
What would the "Fonzie" of 1980, 2003, or 2008 look like? Would there even be one?
Fonzie a fictional character, but personas of real persons considered cool by the media of their era
James Dean of the '50s dead at age 24
Tupac Shukar of the '90s dead at age 25

Fonzie had kind of a James Dean vibe/aura.
I doubt any on Cattle Forum would get nostalgic over Tupac or any other with his vibe/aura.
But there are segments of society that probably do.

Do not forget about Elvis. In his time of popularity all of the young boys were wearing the duck tail haircuts and shirt collars turned up on their necks.

hurleyjd said:
Memories caught on film from times past are interesting.I was born in 1941 and my mother would take a lot of photos with her Kodak as she called it. It was a simple box camera and she had to send the film off to Fox Studios to have it developed. Those photos are crisp and clear to this day. My wife and I bought one of the thirty five millimeter cameras and we shot a lot of family photos in color. The colored photos have become dim in time and hardly recognizable. I thought the other day about photos and realized nearly every family get together is filmed with some ones camera phone and never any hard copies made at all. How in the future will children be able to see what their grand parents looked like or will it even matter. So much for memories
A Kodak Brownie?

Latest posts