Cultural Changes with time

Help Support CattleToday:

I wonder about those award buckles. Not that they are bad. It just makes me wonder. But I traveled some rodeoing with a guy who won the world championship once and the NFR two times riding bulls. Had been in his house many times. He had his world buckle, the two NFR buckles, and not many more. I know that he won some of the big ones over the years but no buckles from them. Now days the Poduck County goat roping gives a big fancy buckle so you can go through life claiming to be their champion. I guess people just want others to know that they are winners????

bball said:
The challenge is sifting through it all to claim the quality, accurate, helpful info and disregard the inaccurate misinformation.
That's so non-inclusive!!
You have to praise and nurture those submitting the inaccurate misinformation... (is there such a thing as accurate misinformation?)
You are going to emotionally scar them for the rest of their lives.
:hide: :lol:
Youtube videos explain and show how to do so very many things. Priceless.
Yep. Some people hate internet and youtube vids but there's lots of good information available if one knows how to look for it.

Dave said:
I wonder about those award buckles. Not that they are bad. It just makes me wonder. But I traveled some rodeoing with a guy who won the world championship once and the NFR two times riding bulls. Had been in his house many times. He had his world buckle, the two NFR buckles, and not many more. I know that he won some of the big ones over the years but no buckles from them. Now days the Poduck County goat roping gives a big fancy buckle so you can go through life claiming to be their champion. I guess people just want others to know that they are winners????

I figure I'm pushing it by wearing a cowboy hat a big ole belt buckle would put me over the top.

True Grit Farms said:
Dave said:

I figure I'm pushing it by wearing a cowboy hat a big ole belt buckle would put me over the top.

I wear the hat on occasions but not all the time. Mostly more formal occasions. I rarely wear a buckle I won. My custom made ranger buckle is more comfortable. Pretty much everyone here are for real cowboys. Some wear a cowboy hat all the time and some never seem to wear one. The buckle thing is the same.

bball said:
Im not as nostalgic i suppose. I thoroughly enjoy the era im currently living in. Information is available about virtually any topic. I enjoy and value that. The challenge is sifting through it all to claim the quality, accurate, helpful info and disregard the inaccurate misinformation. Youtube videos explain and show how to do so very many things. Priceless.

I understand this 100% too. I can't pretend that times are actually worse in all ways these days. There are a lot of things i wouldn't trade for the past. Technology has made life more comfortable and easier, knowledge is more vast and at our fingertips, and medical knowledge is better than ever, just to name a few. I like current times too. There is, however, just something warm and fuzzy about the past.

Perhaps part of it is there are things we have lost that makes the past seem good. If one has lost family members, for example, perhaps knowing we will never share another Christmas or conversation with them makes the times when they were around seem like the good old days. If you had a lot of great times with your first car, and now it's gone, I suppose that can be another area. I suppose anything that was great but is gone for good can bring a sense of longing for the past.

Ky hills said:
herofan said:
I wonder why it's human nature to remember the past with such fondness and to think things were so so much better in our past? Most people like the music from their youth and think modern music is garbage. Oddly, thirty years from now, somebody will be talking about how great the music was from the 2010s.

Even though modern machinery makes farming much easier that it was many years ago, we still like to look back on it as the good old days.

For some reason, I've really been nostalgic lately. Like I wrote earlier, I must be getting old.

Herofan, I have been pondering similar things as well. I think it could possibly be due to things in the present and future looking difficult, complicated and frankly just uncertainty over the unknown. I have heard older folks say statements like it was hard but we didnt have to worry about this this and this, fill in the blanks of what ever the worries could be. Our preacher used to quote somebody, think it was a famous ball player but cant remember who as saying "Things ain't like they used to be probably never was".
Funny thing, yesterday my wife and I went to western KY to visit with my 91 yr old aunt and uncle. My wife can somehow work her phone through the truck and play music off of the phone through the truck radio. With all that modern doings we were listening to mainly songs from our youth or older that we used to listen to.

"things ain't like they used to be probably never was " will Rogers I think

Everybody gets a trophy and everybody is a hero.
I remember a cop who was on here a while back. He said both he and his wife were heroes but never said what qualified them other than being on the police force.
He also said his pay came from his chief and not the people paying taxes.
When a couple of us sort of challenged him he soon left.

Does the United States actual have a cultural. If so what is anyone's opinion of it. I have been thinking of this and cannot come up with any thing that stands out. Does cultural change and evolve through the years as people advance with new ideas and such. What forces create a cultural change. One that might create changes would be war and the disruption of peoples lives caused by having to immigrate to safer areas.

hurleyjd said:
Does the United States actual have a cultural. If so what is anyone's opinion of it. I have been thinking of this and cannot come up with any thing that stands out. Does cultural change and evolve through the years as people advance with new ideas and such. What forces create a cultural change. One that might create changes would be war and the disruption of peoples lives caused by having to immigrate to safer areas.
I think the great depression years had a lot to do with forming a cultural era and after that easy money and prosperity brought in another change.
Economically hard times influenced culture and then when things got better parents did not want their children to have to 'do without', so they tried to give their kids anything they wanted and this for sure brought about a change in the thinking and expectations of the youth. A new culture of indulgence.

A Minnesota girl is receiving both her high school diploma and a degree in nursing from a community
college this spring. There are still a lot of good kids with a good work ethic in America.

I believe another thing that makes me nostalgic too is perhaps because I just don't connect with modern things like I did years ago. As I mentioned before, there are many things I wouldn't trade for the past. Technology has made life much more comfortable these days, but all the political correctness and changes in personalities sometimes makes memories if the past seem more appealing. Even though I enjoy technology, it is frustrating to see how some people can't go 5 minutes without their nose in a device of some kind. I guess I'm just old fogy.

herofan said:
Technology has made life much more comfortable these days,

I especially like air conditioning. When the stores got it we appreciated shopping. Being in the path of an oscillating fan at school was the desired location then they got A/C too. Shade trees just don't have the value they used to have. Everyone goes inside now. They used to head out under the shade tree and enjoy any breeze that existed.

backhoeboogie said:
herofan said:

I especially like air conditioning. When the stores got it we appreciated shopping. Being in the path of an oscillating fan at school was the desired location then they got A/C too. Shade trees just don't have the value they used to have. Everyone goes inside now. They used to head out under the shade tree and enjoy any breeze that existed.

A/C at school? What is this you talk of Church didn't have it either. Those old Homestead ceiling fans turned so slow I don't know what purpose they served.

backhoeboogie said:
herofan said:

I agree. I equally enjoy central heat as well. My family burned wood when I was a kid. Part of the house was always closed off in the winter, and if you were gone all day, the house was cold coming in. I enjoy evenly heated rooms and the ability to keep it warm all the time.

herofan said:
backhoeboogie said:
herofan said:

I agree. I equally enjoy central heat as well. My family burned wood when I was a kid. Part of the house was always closed off in the winter, and if you were gone all day, the house was cold coming in. I enjoy evenly heated rooms and the ability to keep it warm all the time.
As my dad tore out his fireplace he said "I have split my last dam stick of wood". :nod:

Bring back Tastee Freeze. Fifty flavors of milkshakes and they were like homemade ice cream. I never did get through all the flavors. Had my favorites, some I'd probably never have tried in a hundred years.

I hat central heat. It's actually warm but the 'warmth' is missing, if you understand what I mean.
I lived in a tiny house before I had this one built and while I was cleaning up my father's estate..he was a bonafide hoarder. Only heat was a wood stove, but that was plenty, considering the livingroom was 9X18 and only one bedroom. I had already taken the heater out when I took this picture, but you can see where it sat..bedroom is off to the right. It was definitely a different kind of warm than my central unit provides now, and I kinda miss that heat. Don't miss the splitting or hauling tho.
About 2 years after we had moved out of it:

House outside measured 20 x 30. I put a porch on it and the sq footage increased by about 1/3.

Latest posts