Hard time deciding

Help Support CattleToday:

Forage Quality: Kudzu has forage quality similar to alfalfa. Protein content is about 15 to 18% and TDN is about 60 to 65%.

We need to figure out how to bale this weed.

Yes. And something is lacking in most all soils.

I was a Check Station Warden back in the early 70's for WY Game and Fish.
Some deer would come into the check station from
a different area over the mountain and those deer were HUGE. The size of elk horns and very dark. Something in the soil in that area caused that. Would have been interesting to have a soil test done, but back then I didn't know about testing soil. Not that it would have been up to me anyway. But I've wondered about it ever since.
The color of deer antlers comes from what the deer rubbed the velvet off on. Some things like spruce will really darken them. Willows not nearly as dark. Without the tree bark staining the antlers they would be white.

The color of deer antlers comes from what the deer rubbed the velvet off on. Some things like spruce will really darken them. Willows not nearly as dark. Without the tree bark staining the antlers they would be white.
Thanks. Most interesting. I did not know that. I would think there were cedar and spruce trees in that area.
Still the horns were HUGE from what they ate.

Forage Quality: Kudzu has forage quality similar to alfalfa. Protein content is about 15 to 18% and TDN is about 60 to 65%.

We need to figure out how to bale this weed.
16% is the protein content of the stems and roots. Leaves are 24% +. according to a USDA site. Years ago people did bale it with these little bitty round balers. Made rolls about 50 lbs. I never saw this done, so have no idea how they cut it. I have never seen any growing out on flat ground like a hayfield. Most of it I have seen is like ours... with old fences, old junk cars or equipment, remnants of buildings, etc, that it has grown over and covered up. I would never plant any myself on good ground, but if you had rough sorry ground and didn't want to clean it up, clear it out, and try to plant grass on it, then I'd let the Kudzu come on!. UGA has been experimenting with World Feder Bermuda (which was developed for grazing more so than hay) and a strain of Alfalfa also developed for grazing and suitable for warmer regions and is offering incentives for folks to try it. There is also a program...don;t know if it is federal or stae, where they wil pay for seeding or sprigging, and fertilizing, and taken out row cropping. The man I bought the Brahma herd for, who is keeping my Braunvieh/Brown Swiss for me, has put nearly 400 acres if soybean fields into this. He already had an irrigation system for the beans. There is another program he got that will pay for cross fencing (not perimeter fencing), so he is getting into this with nothing more than buying the cows!

Latest posts