Not a good time to be a tech worker.

Help Support CattleToday:

that's how it is 'supposed' to work but I've known more than a few that knew how to work the system and drew unemployment bennies anyway.
A lot of people file and bank on the company not fighting it. In some its cases easier for the company to just let it ride and send them on their way.

It's not hard to fight a unemployment claim. You just tell the truth and let the chips fall where they may.
In close to three decades I've had two unemployment claims filed approved.Both employees had spouses in the military that got relocated. I didn't protest those. All the others have been denied benefits.

Mr TC did essentially the same thing as Musk, though not as extreme. He accepted the position of Pres/CEO at a company in Austin and cleaned house. No more foosball & pinball machines in the lounge. No more fridge stocked with beer (paid for by the company). Please wear shoes and observe company hours. Reorganized, tightened expenses, doled out severance packages. The ones that stayed worked harder than ever and were rewarded with stock options. He turned that small venture capital firm from a pitiful 10.3M to an annual run rate of 41.3B in 15 quarters, a computed annual growth rate of 395%. And eventually negotiated the sale of the company to Bank of America (and subsequently retired). BTW, I worked there as well, and we were quite often the first to arrive and last to leave. Musk may be rash, but he knows what he's doing.

Mr TC did essentially the same thing as Musk, though not as extreme. He accepted the position of Pres/CEO at a company in Austin and cleaned house. No more foosball & pinball machines in the lounge. No more fridge stocked with beer (paid for by the company). Please wear shoes and observe company hours. Reorganized, tightened expenses, doled out severance packages. The ones that stayed worked harder than ever and were rewarded with stock options. He turned that small venture capital firm from a pitiful 10.3M to an annual run rate of 41.3B in 15 quarters, a computed annual growth rate of 395%. And eventually negotiated the sale of the company to Bank of America (and subsequently retired). BTW, I worked there as well, and we were quite often the first to arrive and last to leave. Musk may be rash, but he knows what he's doing.
Oh no!! And the good ones didn't go screamin off in protest?
;)
Today, your husband would probably have been sued for various discrimination issues by anyone not precisely falling into the 'normal' category.
If you are going to go to work for a company, "Ride for the brand" is no longer acceptable by many in today's workforce.

Oh no!! And the good ones didn't go screamin off in protest?
;)
Today, your husband would probably have been sued for various discrimination issues by anyone not precisely falling into the 'normal' category.
If you are going to go to work for a company, "Ride for the brand" is no longer acceptable by many in today's workforce.
Amazingly, the best ones stayed. And excelled. Three of them started a business together after the acquisition (and it's still doing very well) and a number of the best employees stayed with BofA, quite a few of which are still there.

You're right about how times have changed. Although even then, the slogan was Keep Austin Weird. Which accurately described half the employees.

Although even then, the slogan was Keep Austin Weird.
They have succeeded in keeping it that way, beyond all dreams.

Of course, Elon's move there may change some of that. (Austin is now Tesla's global headquarters) and home to the big battery factory, it's the plant for (as of sept 2022) Model Y Tesla. 10,000 cars completed so far and will be the plant where the Tesla truck will be built. The 2500 acre under roof facility is called GigaTexas and is reported to be the largest factory building in the world.

They have succeeded in keeping it that way, beyond all dreams.

Of course, Elon's move there may change some of that. (Austin is now Tesla's global headquarters) and home to the big battery factory, it's the plant for (as of sept 2022) Model Y Tesla. 10,000 cars completed so far and will be the plant where the Tesla truck will be built. The 2500 acre under roof facility is called GigaTexas and is reported to be the largest factory building in the world.

Yes they have. Some years ago my wife got free tickets to the Sherwood Forest festival near Austin, so we went. I could have happily lived my whole life without seeing boobs and a beard on the same individual, but it happened there.

Yes they have. Some years ago my wife got free tickets to the Sherwood Forest festival near Austin, so we went. I could have happily lived my whole life without seeing boobs and a beard on the same individual, but it happened there.
We lived in Volente, the north shore of Lake Travis. Hippie Hollow was a few coves away. 'Nuff said:oops:

You coulda seen that over at the Renaissance Festival between Magnolia and Plantersville.
GIANT Overpriced TURKEY LEGS!

You coulda seen that over at the Renaissance Festival between Magnolia and Plantersville.
GIANT Overpriced TURKEY LEGS!

I've been to the Renaissance Festival a number of times in the last 45 years, but never saw that. (It's about 30 minutes from my house; all back roads). Although when I worked there picking up trash as a fund raiser for the FFA around 1976 I did see a group of otherwise normal-looking people with one of the group leading a man around with a leash tied to a collar around his neck.

I've been to the Renaissance Festival a number of times in the last 45 years, but never saw that. (It's about 30 minutes from my house; all back roads). Although when I worked there picking up trash as a fund raiser for the FFA around 1976 I did see a group of otherwise normal-looking people with one of the group leading a man around with a leash tied to a collar around his neck.
Go stay in the adult side at night and report back. 😄 You can see a glimpse of it on the FB groups page.

That holds true for lots of different sectors. Full time permanent jobs are fewer and fewer across the board. There are lots of different reasons for it, ranging from employer being able to get work done with [edit=without] paying full time benefits to lower taxes, as well as the nationwide move from manufacturing to service.
Yep, ObamaCare caused a lot of that. If you had 30 employees working 40 hours a week, it would save you $300k to $500k a year to go to 40 employees working 29 hours a week. Or rather, it saved the consumers of your products or services from a $300k to $500k price hike.

Last edited:
I was today years old when I learned from my tech buddy that I "made" more money than him for a good long while, which really surprised me. He said all of his raises that brought him up to where he is now only came within recent COVID and post COVID years for retention purposes.

Latest posts