Coyotes

Help Support CattleToday:

baseballfan27":3jmnjncz said:
Plus the smell will attract other predators (bears, mountain lions, etc...). Goodluck to you good sir!

Sounds like a plus to me.... gives you a shot at the too... then SSS and go about your business.

Yes , NC has some really tuff trapping laws, BUT when the game wardens come around and see the damage with their own eyes, they often are willing to give almost carte blanche to help rid you of the problem, the wardens around here are extremely easy to work with as long as you are shooting straight with them.(pardon the intended pun) and will even go out of the way to help if you ask.

Lordy, we are so blessed to have good wardens, good vets, and good fellow farmers in this area! :)

Thirty years ago we used blueticks, black and tans, english, anything that would run a coyote. We have gone now to running walkers some with a little treeing walker in them. Right now today we do have one bluetick hound, but he is used as a cold trailing hound. We put him on the best coy track that we can find in the snow, and he will trail it until it is jumped. Then we catch him because he has terrible feet (splayed) and is awful slow, and put on a couple walkers. If the coy is still running in an hour or two, we catch that pair and put a fresh pair on. A coyotes physical stamina is unbelievable. It's like comparing a professional athlete to old, crippled grandpa (me). Now, once we have the coyote in the back of the truck, we skin him and sell the pelt for around $20. At one time, we got $75, but times change. We take the skinned critter and put them in a spot on my farm until the ground thaws or until I can drive to them with the tractor and spreader and compost them with a load of cow manure. It's not smart to let the "others" see what they don't understand or approve of. This winter, as I mentioned in my last post, other coyote(s) were eating the skinned carcasses of their buddies. Never saw it before. I think because of a lack of cottontails. I might mention that the big drawback to hunting coyotes with hounds is getting permission from every landowner for miles around to either go on their land or get them to let our dogs go across their land without being shot, but we stay off. Like everywhere else, we've got city people buying a 5-acre lot, putting a modular on it, and Lord help you if you get near their kingdom. The old, native people like me welcome us and some will hunt with us when we're near their farm. Coyotes almost always run 2- 3- or 4- miles before circling back. Some never do, they just straight line it to say the St. Lawrence River, then Wolf Island, and I suppose Canada. Maybe they never stop! BUT, it is fun! I know I shouldn't say it here, but I kind of like the coyote--he's never eaten my angus. If he does, I'm sure I won't like him then.

Beefy":28uyyqgc said:
Several years ago we did have a problem with calves being attacked by what we assumed was coyotes. Did a stake out and found the culprit was actually a pack of dogs. the leader of the pack? a beagle!
When I was a kid,my father ran thru a pack of dogs with a shotgun and his old '06 truck gun. The leader of that bunch was of all things-a poodle. It sounds ridiculous, but he said the poodle was definitely in charge and he would never have believed it if he hadn't seen it himself.

Medic24":1gibj6w8 said:
Oh I might add this footnote.............
NC Game Commission once told me that coyotes have to be "trained" to kill calves, goats and sheep. :eek: huh?

I don't remember giving any classes. :mad: :mad:

I asked how does one go about training them? Of course no one had an a

nswer.
will coyotes attack an adult cow?I have a frail 11yr retired Holstein,she lives with 3 other strong adult cows. Would she be in danger?

Caustic Burno":23l5w1tu said:
CKC1586":23l5w1tu said:
Caustic: You have Plotts? How are they around the cattle??

Fine they stay in the dog kennel until its time to hunt same for the Walkers.
My old boss raises plots. He hunts bears and bobcats with them. Plotts are really cool dogs, I wonder how they would adapt to increased farm duties? Any opinion?

Nah, just get a poodle. My mother went out and got herself a poodle/schitzu (sp?). She is best friends with her lab. Well, the other day my mother hears the poodle growling and barking outside. She looks out the window and there is her 10 pound dog standing up to a coyote. The coyote actually ran away! :lol: I figure he probably thought she had rabies or something. ;-) I wish I had been there to see it.

:eek: The poodle stood of the coyote?! We have an increasing problem with coyotes, they keep the barn cats thinned out and have gotten some small dogs in the area too. Got one of my brothers calves two summers ago. I don't know if I could go the poodle route... :oops:

Victoria":374ut33h said:
Nah, just get a poodle. My mother went out and got herself a poodle/schitzu (sp?). She is best friends with her lab. Well, the other day my mother hears the poodle growling and barking outside. She looks out the window and there is her 10 pound dog standing up to a coyote. The coyote actually ran away! :lol: I figure he probably thought she had rabies or something. ;-) I wish I had been there to see it.

I have a hard time believing that.

CKC1586 - Most little dogs in our area get killed off too. When Mom got this poodle she figured the thing would want to stay home but no she is such a farm dog. Great little mouser too. She lives with a black lab and then I have a Newfoundland cross I take over there so she is pretty brave.
I wouldn't really suggest getting a poodle to anyone, just thought it was a rather amazing story.
We have coyotes around here, but they don't seem to bother our calves. We've got a bunch of cows that don't like them in the herd so the coyotes have decided the deer are easier to deal with.
Neighbours dogs are another story. :mad:

Victoria: One of my sons neighbors labs got tore up pretty bad by a coyote. We found a guy that is trying to trap some at the farm for us. He has gotten rid of more coons tho. We have no use for coyotes and no sympaty for them either. They get pretty brazen come up close to the house at night. I am going to get another dog once I get my barn built. I have always had labs but have been thinking about a getting breed that will work better with livestock. I hear alot of folks talk about the Pyronese (probably spelled that wrong) but I am not sure I want to go that route. I sure would have liked to have seen that poodle take on that coyote!

The last neighbor's dog I shot was 3 years ago after it had attack some more of my dad's chickens. Never had much problem with the neighbor's dogs. Their easy to see.

Hey Union, welcome to the boards even if i am a bit late with that.

As far as your poor ol cow, I would doubt very much that she would have a problem with yotes. Unless she became totally disabled out in the pasture away from everything else.

You will know you have a really bad dog or yote problem when your adult cattle start coming home with bobbed tails and bloody noses! At that point in time it is really time to do something. :cboy:

Victoria":3ftpcint said:

Probably a young pup. "ATTITUDE" goes a long way with them. Coyotes sometimes send in a youngster to lure the dogs away from home and into a brawl with odds favoring the pack.

I dont have any trouble believeing that about a poodle running off a coyote. I dont remember who said it...maybe Campground Cattle???....but a coyote is a coward...one of the biggest cowards in the canine world. In MOST cases if a coyote cant look around behind him and see his running buddies backing him up, and if he thinks he might be in some other canines territory....he's a goner with any challenge of any kind. Dont matter if its a poodle or a one legged rooster, he's out of there!!!

tapeworm":18b6k1lg said:
I dont have any trouble believeing that about a poodle running off a coyote. I dont remember who said it...maybe Campground Cattle???....but a coyote is a coward...one of the biggest cowards in the canine world. In MOST cases if a coyote cant look around behind him and see his running buddies backing him up, and if he thinks he might be in some other canines territory....he's a goner with any challenge of any kind. Dont matter if its a poodle or a one legged rooster, he's out of there!!!
So.......... Is coyote a french word? ;-) :cboy:

Latest posts