Coyotes

Help Support CattleToday:

Medic24

Reaction score
When it rains it pours.............
Just got back in and found one of my smaller calf's gutted out above the barn.

I did hear the damn coyotes howling just above here last nite and the dog was going nuts. and running out. crossed my fingers.
Apparently it was not enuff.

Guess it's time to start the holocaust once again. snares, poison, traps. grease soaked foam rubber.

any other suggestions?

Satan's canines. Hate them. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Oh I might add this footnote.............
NC Game Commission once told me that coyotes have to be "trained" to kill calves, goats and sheep. :eek: huh?

I don't remember giving any classes. :mad: :mad:

I asked how does one go about training them? Of course no one had an answer.

How about a quard dog? Our border collie/collie cross stays with our kids show sheep all the time and hates coyotes. She stays less with the cattle but the coyotes have not bothered them as of yet.

We have coyotes here too but I haven't had any problems yet but I have seemtacks in the snow in my pasture , we shoot em when we see em but that's not to often

Medic24":3g3j3tuc said:

I did hear the damn coyotes howling just above here last nite and the dog was going nuts. and running out. crossed my fingers.

Guess it's time to start the holocaust once again. snares, poison, traps. grease soaked foam rubber.

any other suggestions? you lost me here, whats the purpose of grease soaked foam rubber

Medic24":1wzdcte5 said:

any other suggestions?

sorry about that last post i entered it in the wrong spot, what i was wandering was what does the grease soaked foam rubber do to detor the coyotes

We lost a calf to a coyote this year for the 1st time. We have been seeing one hang around but we can't get a shot. I believe we are going to hunt them with electronic callers pretty soon. If not, put a piece of meat with some Timik (sp?) on it on the ground near where the coyotes are and they will die within 10 feet of eating it, but so will everything else that comes along too. It is very poisionous. You can't breath it in or there is a chance it will kill you. You can get it from any farmer. Usually in the summer they have tons of it. But of course this is something you CAN do. I'm not saying I've done it before. Also if you put it out, it would be wise to pic up all the dead bodies laying around it early the next morning. :)

Josh

We have em' here real bad, lost a calf about a month ago to them, that was the first time.Shot 2 last week, got lucky and caught them out early A.M. before going to work,We use a wild hog type trap to catch them, and usually use cat food or chicken to catch them.BUT, they are extremely smart and we only get one in the trap maybe once a month.And that's after smoking the trap, to get any scents off it.I'll put the best money in a Johnny Stewart electric call, that dying rabbit sound works everytime.Good luck with your problem, and hopefully you wont have anymore losses. Bad part is, they'll be dropping pups soon, that's when the traffic picks up.

Medic.... Had the same thing happen yesterday morning. The cow was about 50' from the calf, and I saw something going across another field. Then she ran to the calf, which didn't get up. So, it was first thing in the morning, so I knew I needed to check it. Got to the calf and, completely gutted out.
Of course, it was out of a 2 year old, and I paid a decent amount for her. What really sucks is that by the time she gets rebred and has her next calf, there will be about 15 1/2 sisters calving (out of the same cow from ET) at the same time. I was so anxious to have the first grandbaby from the cow to tell all of the other breeders about. Now, I just have to sit back and wait.
What a way to start the calving season!

Medic24 said:

any other suggestions?

Satan's canines. Hate them. :mad: :mad: :mad:[/quote

Tell me more about using the grease soaked foam rubber please.

So sorry to hear about your loss Medic.. it's terrible to lose a calf.

We still have never lost a calf to a coyote... but we try and keep them "thinned" down, and I've been told if there's a decent population of rabbits, you won't lose calves. We've got tons of those little cottontails!

We always have the best luck with snares. I really worry about any kind of poison, because with my luck, it inevitably ends up killing something of mine. :oops:

medic.....sorry about your loss....satan's canine's is right....would let you borrow my 17 year old who loves to use coyotes as "target practice", but he has school!!! he's pretty damned good, too...got a few off our place last weekend!

That sucks! Our neighbors run dogs on coyotes. We still get enough hunters around us to keep them dieting mainly on rats and the like. I am also putting in my vote for calling them in and taking revenge.

Deer hunters offered a solution to me, but it ISN"T PRETTY!! Haven't done it, but I'm sure it will work. The hunters have managed to euthanize dozens of yotes with this method. Get some small wire like piano wire. Tie a fairly decent sized treble hook to the end. Tie the line in a tree in such a way that the yote will have to jump a little to reach it, and bait it with a hunk of chicken or other irresistable bait. Check it at least daily with rifle or shotgun in hand. Do not try to remove hook and line from yote. Make a new one for each trapping. The bait must be high enough to jump after or the yote will simply nibble the bait away from the hook leaving nothing.

D.R. Cattle":3rfnpq9s said:
Deer hunters offered a solution to me, but it ISN"T PRETTY!! Haven't done it, but I'm sure it will work. The hunters have managed to euthanize dozens of yotes with this method. Get some small wire like piano wire. Tie a fairly decent sized treble hook to the end. Tie the line in a tree in such a way that the yote will have to jump a little to reach it, and bait it with a hunk of chicken or other irresistable bait. Check it at least daily with rifle or shotgun in hand. Do not try to remove hook and line from yote. Make a new one for each trapping. The bait must be high enough to jump after or the yote will simply nibble the bait away from the hook leaving nothing.

As much as I hate them, that method is unacceptable to me.

dun

I too want to know about the greese soaked foam rubber, please Medic????

D.R. about how high would you hang the baited hooks? I'm not really sure how high a coyote could jump. It is deffinately an interesting idea.

We have hung a carcass in a tree and put leg hold traps under it before, that seemed to work pretty well. We have also called using the electric caller and that worked pretty well also. 3 came up and we got 2 of them, will probably never see that 3rd one again though.

Latest posts