Coyotes and calves?

Help Support CattleToday:

SL, your tuffer than me, shooting dogs is a bad deal. Years ago 4 coon hounds were killed on my land, one from TN matter of fact. Thank the Lord nobody really knew what happened because the Sheriff came by to find out what went on. Two of the dogs were blue ribbon champions, worth 5k-10k each. It was alot of B.S. for a few years, but varmints and predators still get shot at. Be carefull, and I hope you get them all.

Sir Loin":35b55hah said:
OK, let me put it another way.
I don't care if its yotes or dogs or a cross, if it is in my field stressing my cattle, I SHOOT IT, no questions asked.
And I hang it on a fence post near a roadway so dog owner know if they allow their dog to run loose they are subject to being shot on sight.
And it's perfectly legal in TN.
SL

Yup. When this craap happens, and you have a pretty darn good idea what happened, how long should you digest the available information, before you act, when your gut tells you what's going on? :???:

When dealing with dog's the best method is the three S's your mouth can cost you a lot of money from the courthouse to a box of 22 Long rifles. I have never seen a coyote leave a meal. Coyote's kill to eat dog's kill for the fun of it.

Kathie in Thorp":16tuww3a said:
CB - Coyotes will kill, feed --- then come back later if they are disturbed. They are opportunists and scavengers.

(3 S's = Shoot, shovel, shut-up!!!)

I ran them for years with hounds. Trapped them to put in the running pen. Neighbor has game proof fence stocked with yotes to run during deer season. The game proof fence includes his cow pasture and he has never lost a calf to them. The biggest enemies your cow's have is laying on your and your neighbor's porch.

CB -- We don't have loose/way-faring dog problems here. We're too remote/few homes, with supervised dogs. Coyotes are the problem; an occasional big cat (not on our place, by nearby, that have taken sheep), and now we have the wolf threat too close to home. Our country-- the topography, cover, etc., is way different than what you have. I can't even imagine trying to trap coyotes in a pen in this country!

Latest posts