Coyotes and calves?

Help Support CattleToday:

I don't worry about yotes eating calves...I shoot them because they eat white tail dawns... And rabbits ... I like eating deer and rabbit too ..

As with any wild life I think they need to have their population managed by controlled hunting. We will take a few each year on our place and we seem to maintain a healthy population of small game, turkey and deer. I have yet to see tracks of the coyote around my cattle when they are in the fields. I do see the coyote tracks around the streams and springs and the creek areas which the cows don't have access to. You see the coyotes in fields where the cattle aren't quite a bit and hear them every nite it seems. When we see tracks around the cows we start packing rifles and take that one out. Has worked so far. I rarely see mice in either my barn or in the fields and I don't have cats in my barn.

We've had them to grab our calves...We have to keep a jack in our herd to help keep them at bay. Found a newborn last year that had been dragged over the bobwire fence. Two locations....Two jacks. So far this year haven't lost a one.

Until the coyotes and fox quit killing my cats and learn to climb in the rafters to get the dang pigeons that crap all over my hay I'll keep my proficiency up with a rifle or shotgun.

brenda":dou77dcq said:
We've had them to grab our calves...We have to keep a jack in our herd to help keep them at bay. Found a newborn last year that had been dragged over the bobwire fence. Two locations....Two jacks. So far this year haven't lost a one.

Did you directly witness the coyote dragging the calf? And if so, where was the cow? And the other cows?

Seems a shame to have to feed another animal to keep little coyotes away when the cow should be doing that.

around here we definitely have the coyote's.....if I see one and get a chance I shoot it, shot one sunday before church this past sunday....I havn't lost any calves to them but I have lost some goats (we now have a donkey).....here's a pic of one of our favorite goats she weighed around 160#'s and was inside a small pasture that had very good horse fence around it
IMG_4867.jpg

djinwa":26wzpr3o said:
brenda":26wzpr3o said:

Did you directly witness the coyote dragging the calf? And if so, where was the cow? And the other cows?

Seems a shame to have to feed another animal to keep little coyotes away when the cow should be doing that.

I have a jenny to keep dog's out and she does a pretty good job, don't want any jack's. Jack's are bad about killing calves, I dam sure ain't going to feed something that kills calf's.

we even had a approximately 40-50# goat (young boer goat) attacked one morning in a different pasture (but again with horse fence and this time with the donkey) only thing we found was the head and neck the rest was taken over the fence! That's the only one we've lost since we got the donkey but after losing 7 goats I just shoot them. :D

moloss":1s852i93 said:
we even had a approximately 40-50# goat (young boer goat) attacked one morning in a different pasture (but again with horse fence and this time with the donkey) only thing we found was the head and neck the rest was taken over the fence! That's the only one we've lost since we got the donkey but after losing 7 goats I just shoot them. :D

I hate to be annoying, but in a court of law, I'm not sure this would convict the coyote. You see coyotes at times, and when something gets killed, you assume it was the coyotes.

Again, let me ask, have you directly witnessed a coyote killing a live animal?

How do you know it wasn't dogs?

djinwa":23vbpo7j said:
moloss":23vbpo7j said:

I hate to be annoying, but in a court of law, I'm not sure this would convict the coyote. You see coyotes at times, and when something gets killed, you assume it was the coyotes.

I gotta agree. If it was dragged under a fence maybe but carried over, not so sure. Sounds more like dogs or a big cat

I am going to agree over the fence,= bigger than a yote, 40 to 50 lb goat ,same weight as a yote
or bigger, I have been out helping with night calving, ( walk ,or drive threw every hour )3' page/hog wire fences and barbed on top, and you would see yotes glowing eyes on the other side or moving threw the cows, and they never lost a calf that I know of, as they were after the afterbirth not the calves Suzanne

djinwa":2f1lpou7 said:
moloss":2f1lpou7 said:

How bout buzzards they are always eatin on a dead animal.

Had some goats in a head at our hay field. When we cut hay the coyotes would come in and get the dead mice and snakes. When you go around the field you will easily see 15 to 20 rabbits. Then one year never saw a rabbit. Then we cut the hay and went out that night to see how much my granddad had got cut saw eight coyotes. Three coming out of the goat pen. Did lose any that night but did lose 5 in one night the cutting before. Figured coyotes but wasn't sure til I saw them coming out the next cutting. Best thing I have found is to buy the hottest box you can find and keep the fence clean. They will respect it. :cowboy:

moloss":eh2g3wsy said:
around here we definitely have the coyote's.....if I see one and get a chance I shoot it, shot one sunday before church this past sunday....I havn't lost any calves to them but I have lost some goats (we now have a donkey).....here's a pic of one of our favorite goats she weighed around 160#'s and was inside a small pasture that had very good horse fence around it
IMG_4867.jpg

That looks more like dog as yote's would have partied and cleaned that up.

That is defiantly yotes!
Dogs would have had the ears gone first where as yotes start at the anus.
Plus, you most likely would have seen the dogs as they don't usually hide in the day time as they are not as nocturnal as yotes .
Plus cotes usually take an animal down from the rear, and dogs take them down from the head.
SL

Yote's wouldn't have left a meal, dogs kill for fun and I have seen dog's grab anywhere they can, they are very sloppy in their attack. It is a mob mentality not a hunting mentality.

did I see the coyote's get the young goat, no, but we do have packs of them.....(as a side note I've seen a pack of six at times but most of the time we see lone coyotes).....with that being said I've seen them climb right up a good horse fence like it wasn't even there....my theory was that a pack climbed the fence, tore apart the goat and left with what they could take, the goat was seen that afternoon around 3pm but when my wife went to count them that evening we were short one this was around 8pm (I figured it happened shortly after dark) and this is when we found what was left......I do agree that dogs are bolder and larger but we seem to also have quite a few coyotes that are crossed with dogs....there is one I see from time to time along our driveway that looks to be half coyote and sheppard, it's fur is dark grey to black and has red tips to the fur a real intimidating looking fellow probably around 70#'s.

OK, let me put it another way.
I don't care if its yotes or dogs or a cross, if it is in my field stressing my cattle, I SHOOT IT, no questions asked.
And I hang it on a fence post near a roadway so dog owner know if they allow their dog to run loose they are subject to being shot on sight.
And it's perfectly legal in TN.
SL