I need more coyotes

Help Support CattleToday:

Coyotes where we are will kill a baby calf if the mother won't protect it and some first calf heifers don't know what to do especially if they have gone off to have that baby. The coyotes will kill the baby and eat their guts out and leave a hull
That's has been our exact experience too.

What Brute mentioned is something a lot of folks don't consider. How many baby hogs do the coyotes kill out? I leave them be around here. They have never been a problem. The cows seem to know they aren't a threat.
When a coyote crosses the field the cows will look up and watch it for a few seconds than go back to eating. When a dog come around, the whole herd turns in that direction and watches until it is leaving the area.

What Brute mentioned is something a lot of folks don't consider. How many baby hogs do the coyotes kill out? I leave them be around here. They have never been a problem. The cows seem to know they aren't a threat.
When a coyote crosses the field the cows will look up and watch it for a few seconds than go back to eating. When a dog come around, the whole herd turns in that direction and watches until it is leaving the area.
I had a lot of trouble from dogs.
The old Jenny in my pasture cured that.
I haven't lost a calf to dogs since I got her 25 years ago.
Amazing how smart they are she truly loves my Jack Russell .
Strange dog beware as she slips up on it.

Peel the hide off our coyotes and they are pretty small. Maybe 25 pounds. But we make up for it by having wolves that go well over 100 pounds.

In the last couple years I have only seen one coyote on the ranch west of Rawlins. I grabbed my uncles rifle, but I didn't realize he didn't have the magazine in it, so he got away. That was not far from the house, but he had some sheep that he bought to train his dog. I bought myself a 22-250 last year, but never had a change to get out to sight it in; it seems everytime I was at the ranch it was either to windy or it was getting late and I wanted to get back to Riverton.

Wonder if some of your big coyotes have a little canis lupus background such as red wolf or interbred with them?

My maw did have a trail camera picture of a coyote mix with a domestic dog. I believe it was a bull dog coyote. I'd sure the pictures who knows where or if she knows where she has it.

Coyotes are awful hard on fawns around here.
Here in western Montana, coyotes kill a few fawns, but Imidacloprid kills both the adults and a lot of fawns each year. In 2015 our neighbor, while mowing 800 acres of hay, found 49 dead fawns that were lying curled up dead in the tall foliage. They had not been touched by coyotes or other scavengers. They had died soon after being born. Dead fawns that I have found curled up dead have birth defects and always a fairly severe underbite. The neighbor also killed 8 fawns with his swather. That totaled 57 fawns killed by humans, 0 fawns killed by coyotes. So are you certain that the coyotes are the ones killing the fawns where you are. Imidacloprid falls in the rain and snow onto foliage eaten by the deer throughout North America. A study published in Nature (Berheim et al. 2019) showed that Imidacloprid exposure killed both adult does and fawns and caused birth defects (especially underdeveloped facial bones causing underbite or overbite) on the fawns. Right after Imidacloprid began being used in large quantities on fields in the U.S. and Canada, a Canadian veterinarian published several studies about horse foals with underbite and other birth defects. The foals had the same birth defects that the grazing animals here began being born with right after Imidacloprid began being used upwind of western Montana. A veterinarian in Mexico wrote a book about underbite on beef cattle there that began being born with underbite in the same time period. Imidacloprid kills millions of calves (and fawns) in the U.S., and causes millions of dollars in losses due to less weight gain on beef calves that are born with underbite but survive to be sold. For some reason, no one cares about that. Not even mentioned! Only the few hundred total animals that the coyotes and wolves kill are ever mentioned. Weird!

Last edited:
Here in western Montana, coyotes kill a few fawns, but Imidacloprid kills both the adults and a lot of fawns each year. In 2015 our neighbor, while mowing 800 acres of hay, found 49 dead fawns that were lying curled up dead in the tall foliage. They had not been touched by coyotes or other scavengers. They had died soon after being born. Dead fawns that I have found curled up dead have birth defects and always a fairly severe underbite. The neighbor also killed 8 fawns with his swather. That totaled 57 fawns killed by humans, 0 fawns killed by coyotes. So are you certain that the coyotes are the ones killing the fawns where you are. Imidacloprid falls in the rain and snow onto foliage eaten by the deer throughout North America. A study published in Nature (Berheim et al. 2019) showed that Imidacloprid exposure killed both adult does and fawns and caused birth defects (especially underdeveloped facial bones causing underbite or overbite) on the fawns. Right after Imidacloprid began being used in large quantities on fields in the U.S. and Canada, a Canadian veterinarian published several studies about horse foals with underbite and other birth defects. The foals had the same birth defects that the grazing animals here began being born with right after Imidacloprid began being used upwind of western Montana. A veterinarian in Mexico wrote a book about underbite on beef cattle there that began being born with underbite in the same time period. Imidacloprid kills millions of calves (and fawns) in the U.S., and causes millions of dollars in losses due to less weight gain on beef calves that are born with underbite but survive to be sold. For some reason, no one cares about that. Not even mentioned! Only the few hundred total animals that the coyotes and wolves kill are ever mentioned. Weird!
No mention of underbite, but I'm sure that's an oversight.

No mention of underbite, but I'm sure that's an oversight.

LOL. Nope, she wouldn't dare miss an opportunity. Its in there.

Dead fawns that I have found curled up dead have birth defects and always a fairly severe underbite

Sounds like you're trying to confuse us with science!! :) I'd much rather traffic in the anecdotal. Chronic wasting, Bovine TB, untold crop losses.... I know we all like to hunt but the coyote is our friend when it comes to deer. It's part of an ecological balance. But I digress....

Sounds like you're trying to confuse us with science!! :) I'd much rather traffic in the anecdotal. Chronic wasting, Bovine TB, untold crop losses.... I know we all like to hunt but the coyote is our friend when it comes to deer. It's part of an ecological balance. But I digress....
Actually, she likes to try and baffle everyone with bullshyt. Because thats all she has, bullshyt.

Our mini horse can be mean she will straight up Naynay whip roll a coyote, dog, ect. She is one rough mammy jammy.
If you need some coyote come trap you some here how many do you want? Better yet what you pay for them. Hahahaha. We get you some and deliver with old Mr Thomas @kenny thomas for the right price. Hahahaha
We had a Welch pony like that.
She hated dogs. Our dog jumped in the pond and swam across trying to get away from her, she jumped in right behind the dog swam across and chased the dog up the hill all the way to the house neying the whole time.
It was hilarious.

Latest posts