Coyotes and calves?

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
What is the biggest calf that you think a coyote would go after? Been seeing them laying around the pasture watching cattle a lot, seen 2 this evening usually just see one. One let me ride up almost close enough to run over it with a four wheeler, tried to run over it almost but not quite. Went back to the house and came back and it and another was back out there, one won't be back again but they seem worse this ever than ever.

We have several fall calves, the youngest in that pasture is about a month. Got a newborn closer to the house.
Just curious if they would go after a month old calf.

If they are hungry enough they will attack anything they think they can kill.
Here is how I solve the problem.
SL

100_0123.jpg

100_0124.jpg

100_0125.jpg

Haven't lost one after 3 days yet. Mom has it figured out buy then, and the calf is part of the herd.

I cured one of its lead deficiency but could not get a clear shot at the other.

Tom,
Haven't seen an increase in the yote population around us yet but will pass along to be watchful. I have yet to loose a calf to them. I see them on the farm but so far they haven't messed with the cattle. But we are with our cattle everyday. Wonder if that makes a difference?

hillbillycwo":kkx6mkyt said:
Tom,
Haven't seen an increase in the yote population around us yet but will pass along to be watchful. I have yet to loose a calf to them. I see them on the farm but so far they haven't messed with the cattle. But we are with our cattle everyday. Wonder if that makes a difference?
I miss a day once in a while working late, be we ride around the pasture a lot, see them by the house a lot too. Just see them a lot here lately just sitting and watching the cattle.

Never lost one yet to a yote and they sing here all the time. Yote gets a bad rap your calves are in much more danger from dogs. I had to discourage one from running the cows this morning.

TennesseeTuxedo":10366dw9 said:
My brother in law killed one last year on the family farm in northern Kentucky so their range has really pushed northward.

Actually Tux coyotes are all over the continental US and most of Canada and Mexico. I have seen more coyotes in northern Illinois than any other eastern state. They are like cockroaches. You can't kill them out for good and they will survive a nuclear war. My dad killed one of the first yotes in Tennessee in peoples memory. They were here earlier of course but got killed out and food sources depleted. He shot this one in the early 1960's in Wayne county. Folks thought it was a wolf. The local game warden was from Texas where there were millions of them. He identified it as a standard, all American coyote that was just bigger than the norm. Probably from no competition from other yotes.

I've never lost a calf to a coyote. Use to see them laying out by the "close up" pen waiting for a cow to calf. When she passed the afterbirth they'd run in, grab it and run off with it. Mostly eat rats and little critters as well as scavenging.

Never lost a calf to a coyote either. I see them but don't shoot them.

If I ever saw one that is crossed with a dog, it'll be popped immediately.

I have seen them eating newborns a few times. Maybe the calf was dead all ready, but that is very rare. How many calves die on ya'll during calving season?? I have seen more calves eaten by coyotes, than I have ever found dead of natural causes. Think what you want but coyotes are bad news and will eat your calves if given the chance.

Coyotes killed several sheep I had a year or so back. Pulled them down, ripped their bellies open and tore out the unborn lambs. Had to get rid of the sheep and go to 100% cows.

Coyotes will do things like run off with a newborn lamb and take it back to the den, so their pups can "practice" on it. This usually involves several coyote pups playing tug-o-war with the lamb, tearing off legs, ears, lips, eyes, whatever else they can grab hold of. The lamb's usually good for a couple of days of this before it finally dies. Let me tell you, "death by coyote" is not a pretty way to go.

Any coyote I see is going to be a dead coyote about 5 seconds later, courtesy of an 85 gr. Sierra GameKing hollow point traveling about 3600 fps.

Ruark":2jnbg9xf said:
Coyotes killed several sheep I had a year or so back. Pulled them down, ripped their bellies open and tore out the unborn lambs. Had to get rid of the sheep and go to 100% cows.

Coyotes will do things like run off with a newborn lamb and take it back to the den, so their pups can "practice" on it. This usually involves several coyote pups playing tug-o-war with the lamb, tearing off legs, ears, lips, eyes, whatever else they can grab hold of. The lamb's usually good for a couple of days of this before it finally dies. Let me tell you, "death by coyote" is not a pretty way to go.

Any coyote I see is going to be a dead coyote about 5 seconds later, courtesy of an 85 gr. Sierra GameKing hollow point traveling about 3600 fps.

If we can shoot a yote here (if we're quick enough), we do. Singly, they kill dogs, cats, new lambs, new goat kids, chickens. A few together can take down a new calf with a slow mom, a lamb, or a 30 lb. goat in broad daylight (the goat thing happened to a co-worker). We have enough small rabbits around here that you'd think they'd be happy with that -- I think they must just get bored with them!

I had a 2 month old brahman/braford calf to disaappear over night I had new born 30-40lb calves born the day before they were unharmed. There were no signs of the calf. Mom was a brahman cow and was nasty when it came to her calf she was very protective. I think the calf was near the fence and what ever it was dragged the calf through the fence. I hope it was a coyote! If not it is something bigger than a coyote :shock:

BRAFORDMAN":5bzvilk4 said:
I had a 2 month old brahman/braford calf to disaappear over night I had new born 30-40lb calves born the day before they were unharmed. There were no signs of the calf. Mom was a brahman cow and was nasty when it came to her calf she was very protective. I think the calf was near the fence and what ever it was dragged the calf through the fence. I hope it was a coyote! If not it is something bigger than a coyote :shock:

Most likely only had two legs.

Latest posts