coyotes

Help Support CattleToday:

daniel.carver

Reaction score
Hi to all :wave:
I have a missing heiffer calf. I was at the hospital w/the wife, so i did not see this. My daughter told me that she seen a coyote dragging something, she went out on the four wheeler & the coyote dropped what it had & ran off. She said that it was a hind quarter w/alot of meat missing. she threw this in a holler where I throw brush. (no way to actually see it). My question is- this calf was proabably 300 lbs. Is it possible for coyetes to take a calf this big down? We have lots of coyotes, & I mostly see them catching field mice, rabbits & so on. I've never thought that they would be a threat. Am I full of crap?
Thanks Dan

I ain't ever seen it. The calf would have to be sick, hurt or dead from my experience.

Coyote was cleaning up most likely, if it was killed look to dogs first. They will kill for pleasure and leave the kill.
Coyotes are cowards and get blamed for a lot they do not do. Hard to believe Fido and Rover are the biggest problem most face from a predator. Now they are opportunist if they find one sick or cripple and they can take it without danger they will. They are not much of a fighter unless cornered but so is a mouse.

daniel.carver":3k3xe7en said:
I have a missing heiffer calf. I was at the hospital w/the wife, so i did not see this. My daughter told me that she seen a coyote dragging something, she went out on the four wheeler & the coyote dropped what it had & ran off. She said that it was a hind quarter w/alot of meat missing. she threw this in a holler where I throw brush. (no way to actually see it). My question is- this calf was proabably 300 lbs. Is it possible for coyetes to take a calf this big down? We have lots of coyotes, & I mostly see them catching field mice, rabbits & so on. I've never thought that they would be a threat. Am I full of crap?
Thanks Dan
Look her in the eyes and ask her what really happened to the calf.

MF135":duc7b85j said:
daniel.carver":duc7b85j said:
Thanks Dan

Hope you didn't hurt yourself jumpinf to THAT conclusion.

3waycross":26a0dfr4 said:
MF135":26a0dfr4 said:
daniel.carver":26a0dfr4 said:
Thanks Dan

Hope you didn't hurt yourself jumpinf to THAT conclusion.
No I stretched first. I sensed his doubt by his word choice. "Missing" calf. Claims of Coyotes eating in daytime. "SHE" not only picked up the bloody hind quarter, but moved it- to a place where it can't be seen now. Why would someone uses the word "missing", if they believed it was found and then discarded in the ditch? JMO

daniel.carver":15u6cqhf said:
Thanks Dan

No, coyotes generally will not take down a 300 lb calf. They are a very real threat to newborns and calves up to about a week old, though. I'm inclined to think that this calf died or was possibly killed by something else and the coyotes simply took advantage of the kill/death.

agree with others..coyotes are cowardly scavengers..more then likely dogs got the calf or the calf died and the 'yotes were doing what they do,,cleaning it up.

As CB said, I think 'yotes get blamed alot for the doin's of dogs.

I had an 250# fall calf eaten one night here mid winter by coyote's, it was Ok mid afternoon, but it was a snow storm that night. They were atacking deer in the hay yard in daylight on and off all winter.

Any day I was carrying never saw or heard one of them

When coyotes pack up and do start killing there is one killer in the pack if you can get it the rest will usually not kill. I find them to be like Msscamp stated most of the time.

Time to start setting some traps just in case. There used to be a big problem in my area with domesticated dogs chasing and injuring/killing dairy cows.......farmers with rifles solved that problem.

Latest posts