Cows to bull ratio

Help Support CattleToday:

Help me out here. We have 15 farms (pastures)
25 -30 cows in 12 pastures Assuming you mean each 25 cows x 12 = 300 head 30 cows x 12 =360 head
2 bulls covering 300-360 cows and apparently a 100% calf crop
30 calves divided by $10,000. = $333. per calf per cow for the year or it could be up to
25 calves divided by $20,000. =$800. per calf per cow for the year which is a nice ticket for a 30 day weaned calf
I hear the grass is really good over in that neck of the woods......
Whoa, Hoss. Looks like you are coming dangerously close to calling me a liar, son. Looking at your mis-quoted information and miscalculated math, though, I guess I will let this go and just chalk it up to your ignorance and stupidity. 30 divided by 10000 is .003, genius, not 300. Depending on the month, the number of weanlings and their sex,, the check could vary within those $10k - $20k parameters. 25 calves, most heifers, with the market down a little.. then yea, they could average $400 a piece.. or $10k. Another month prices may be up, might be 30 calves going to market,. mostly steers, that may average $600-$700 or better..so yeah, $20k or close to it. Each bull covers 25-30 cows in a month, then has a month off. If you find that hard to believe, boy, then you either have some sorry ass bulls, or don't know sh*t from shinola about cattle. Reading other posts you have made, I tend to believe it is the latter.

W A Thank G-d you found your glycirin in time! I realized my numbers were reversed right after I posted but the hour was late and I reasoned
you would figure it out. I see from your response that such is the case. A bull can be as dependable as the return of the Hal Bopp Comet but
that does not imply that every cow will cycle every month or if she cycles that she is bred. There is little doubt a bull can breed 30 cows in a month
but it begs the question will they? Although there probably is, I saw no indication of a replacement program as according to what was presented
100% of a 100% calf crop is going to market.
You are correct about 30 divided by 10000 being .003 and for that I am properly chagrined. Best wishes for your continued success...........

There is little doubt a bull can breed 30 cows in a month
but it begs the question will they? Although there probably is, I saw no indication of a replacement program as according to what was presented
100% of a 100% calf crop is going to market.
Apparently, they will. And have. Every cow I saw had a calf. If they wouldn't then I reckon he would use 2 or more. And no, none of the 1/2 Angus or 1/2 Brangus heifers are kept as replacements. They are sold at weaning, as they were bred and raised to be. He wouldn't want to keep a $700 calf to raise into a brood cow, when he could buy 2 grown Criollo type cows for that,. when he needs to replace one.

Last edited: