Cow of the Day

Help Support CattleToday:

inyati13":19hup824 said:
cowgirl8":19hup824 said:
Another one of our old girls. She never got a number so i dont know how old she is. This is My Girl, shown by our youngest daughter probably around 1998. She'll be 100% sim, guessing when they turned red w/f. Sims went from wildly colored red and white, to red w/f, to solid red, to black... She's the one who reverted back on her calf this year and had a old school colored sim calf.

cowgirl8, I did not see you all day yesterday. I have a comment and it is not meant to be negative. I cannot define this but that cow looks odd. Maybe those with a trained eye can define it.
I'm back on a computer and not my phone with no glasses...
My #3 daughter was not into cows but decided to show a heifer this one year. She picked out her own out of all our heifer calves. Didnt do well with her. She's out of a cow we had Stellar Lite (sp?)..we still have papers on her although she died long ago. Now, what i cant remember is if My Girl is out of one of our bulls, papered, full blood or a product of AIing. Didnt know that i would need to retain all this information..lol.. But, i dont recall Stellar every being showed so i doubt we would have had her AIed. SO i'm guessing this cow is out of a home grown, yet, with papers or full blood with no papers. Stellar was impressive young, but she looked like this when she got old. Long, very long with a strangely long neck.. My Girl is iffy on her calves having the long neck. She's going this year, but went out with a bang by reminding us what a real sim looks like with the calf she produced this year. And she may be older than i think since she's named My Girl, daughter loved that movi...but may have been My Girl 2 she was named after because 1991 seems way too long ago..
So, if its because she doesnt look like todays sim......she does look like one from last century..and as i think about it, Stellar may have been shown shortly, maybe just weanling age. She's out of a show heifer Skyla, i think, when i get time i'll dig out the papers. Stellar was a product of AIing....breeding will be on papers.

Isn't it funny how you can start something that has no significance with one meaningless comment!

Cowgirl8, it has nothing to do with her breed. She is built odd. Maybe because she is real old. I am not good at judging cattle yet.

Ron, I think it is like cowgirl said, she has a really long neck. Then she is losing muscle tone a bit on top as we all do when we age, it just makes her look more, "stretched out." She is a really long cow.

Cow's necks are getting shorter it seems. I like a cow with a longer feminine neck.

Chuckie":135gl5gd said:
Ron, I think it is like cowgirl said, she has a really long neck. Then she is losing muscle tone a bit on top as we all do when we age, it just makes her look more, "stretched out." She is a really long cow.

Cow's necks are getting shorter it seems. I like a cow with a longer feminine neck.

It does help them graze the shortgrass

This is why she should simply be called a "cross":

She's out of a cow we had Stellar Lite (sp?)..we still have papers on her although she died long ago. Now, what i cant remember is if My Girl is out of one of our bulls, papered, full blood or a product of AIing. Didnt know that i would need to retain all this information..lol..

TexasBred":30keope5 said:

She's out of a cow we had Stellar Lite (sp?)..we still have papers on her although she died long ago. Now, what i cant remember is if My Girl is out of one of our bulls, papered, full blood or a product of AIing. Didnt know that i would need to retain all this information..lol..

But she's full: LOL

cowgirl8":30keope5 said:
She's full.

Which is exactly why I have started keeping the records I keep. Write it all down. Memory does not improve with age. It goes the other way. Not once have i regretted having too much info in my records.

backhoeboogie":2v7unelu said:
TexasBred":2v7unelu said:

But she's full: LOL

cowgirl8":2v7unelu said:
She's full.

Which is exactly why I have started keeping the records I keep. Write it all down. Memory does not improve with age. It goes the other way. Not once have i regretted having too much info in my records.

:nod: :nod: :nod:

Without looking I'm doing pretty good for remembering 20+ years ago and remembering dead cows. Lol.

cowgirl8":2a9m0msj said:
Without looking I'm doing pretty good for remembering 20+ years ago and remembering dead cows. Lol.

It simply seemed odd to me that you were so defensive. But then you do not know if she was an AI product etc.

Why does it matter so much? What difference is it going to make? Is someone trying to buy her from you? She's old. You are using her for a commercial operation. If she makes you money, nothing else should matter.

Am I missing something? We've spent a whole page on her. And still talking.

That cow is just fine with me as is. I don't need to know her lineage.

And here we go....

Cowgirl8, I think you will have a hard time convincing the folks that you have some 100% sims based on your history of cattle management and running with multiple bulls (plus other neighbors' bulls). Nobody takes you so seriously. Had you mentioned that she's a Sim cross or a Sim influenced cow in first post then we won't have this argument.

Its important to keeps records somewhere, not in your brain. Either in notebooks or in computer that will helps lot. I keeps all cattle records in a hard drive and every cows has dam and sire name. Markings, # calves, ear tag numbers, vet records are typed in each cows file individually. Tho I never put who's daddy of the calves. All I do is put bulls numbers in the note to see who is in the pasture. If there is someone's bull got in our pasture, I recorded that bull too.

Go get someone's pic of a former national grand champion. Post the pic here and don't tell them who it is.

Someone is going to critique it. That's how it is. Anyone who has ever posted a pic has experienced it.

A whole lot of LH breeders were completely run off from here. Shame too because I really liked some of them.

backhoeboogie":3kbzzeif said:
Go get someone's pic of a former national grand champion. Post the pic here and don't tell them who it is.

Someone is going to critique it. That's how it is. Anyone who has ever posted a pic has experienced it.

A whole lot of LH breeders were completely run off from here. Shame too because I really liked some of them.
I wondered how Ryan is doing....I enjoyed looking at his LH cows. They were so beefy even for a LH.

This was the only folder i could find, the newer bulls are in a different filing cabinet, but i'll find them.
Early years...
simbrah
sim
1744279 redlight
15586945 redcoat
1975005 fullabull home grown
1399497 tomcat
We had around 20 registered sim cows, if we kept bulls, it was out of these cows....some we papered, some we didnt
We then switched to angus
We've had many angus and had sim/angus. They are in a different folder because the folder i found was from when my kids showed sims and we did a lot of AIing. I do not have a list of bulls we had straws on. But, they would be on some of the cows papers if we had them registered. After showing, papers do not come with the cows you use as replacements unless you register them yourself. We had no need for papers for our commercial business..

Taurus":2ii9oqqp said:
backhoeboogie":2ii9oqqp said:

I wondered how Ryan is doing....I enjoyed looking at his LH cows. They were so beefy even for a LH.

I liked Ryan. Warpaint too. TXBobcat doesn't post much but I think he still lurks. Running Arrow Bill used to do plumbing and he is as sharp as most engineers I know when it comes to flow in pipes. Every one of them have taken beatings and they have all posted some really nice pics. TXBobcat's links show an awesome pictorial of medina hinged gates. Granger Cattle Company I think is the name of the outfit he's with.

cowgirl8":264alf0n said:
This was the only folder i could find, the newer bulls are in a different filing cabinet, but i'll find them.
Early years...
simbrah
sim
1744279 redlight
15586945 redcoat
1975005 fullabull home grown
1399497 tomcat
We had around 20 registered sim cows, if we kept bulls, it was out of these cows....some we papered, some we didnt
We then switched to angus
We've had many angus and had sim/angus. They are in a different folder because the folder i found was from when my kids showed sims and we did a lot of AIing. I do not have a list of bulls we had straws on. But, they would be on some of the cows papers if we had them registered. After showing, papers do not come with the cows you use as replacements unless you register them yourself. We had no need for papers for our commercial business..
:D :D :D

Latest posts