Cow of the Day

Help Support CattleToday:

backhoeboogie":1psfyevf said:
Really easy for me. Grew up with them. Cows seem more relaxed. Never owned a long horn.

If someone got in to cattle with no facility, these are easy to rig until they can afford better.

Great for cutting calves away from psycho momma cows too. Tag, band and send them back without chasing.

Glad you don't need one. I don't have one to sell you at the moment. :cboy:
Glad you're not selling them for a living...I can see how you can make them work for you. Just looks to me like trying to load a bucking bull into a bucking chute from the front. Can't see how anyone could palpate or breed without chance of getting crushed or do anything around the head without getting knocked around. I'll stick with the chute and the post behind them.

A 50% Murray Grey x 50% Angus cow with her 75% Murray Grey calf. The heifer calf is 4 1/2 months old in the photo. The cow was born in October of 2009. Her first calf weaned at 620 lbs. She is a frame score 4, and maintains excellent condition year round. She weans some of the heaviest calves each year. She tested very well for tenderness and marbling genes. All of her calves have been sold as replacements, but I think that we will keep this heifer.
IMG_1527_zps664dd3d3.jpg

Backbone Ranch":cbikbkg5 said:
A 50% Murray Grey x 50% Angus cow with her 75% Murray Grey calf. The heifer calf is 4 1/2 months old in the photo. The cow was born in October of 2009. Her first calf weaned at 620 lbs. She is a frame score 4, and maintains excellent condition year round. She weans some of the heaviest calves each year. She tested very well for tenderness and marbling genes. All of her calves have been sold as replacements, but I think that we will keep this heifer.
IMG_1527_zps664dd3d3.jpg

Backbone with all the smart alec stuff going on here you have kind of gotten lost in the shuffle. I just want to say that you have some of the best cattle on here and I appreciate the pictures you have posted! :tiphat:

I'm going to post a few.

All time favorite. Red Angus cow with a bit of Limi in her. She is a 2005 model. Best momma around, gentle, wears solid calves and leads the herd.

This one is a 2007 model. Daughter to the cow above. She is gentle, milks like a Holstein but maintains her condition. She has never weaned a calf under 750 lbs. Her biggest was an 830 lb bull calf a couple years ago. She weighs around 1,400 lbs.

This Atlas daughter has put two good calves on the ground so far....I will hang on to her.

This is my first registered cow I bought. She is a balancer out of Summitcrest Alliance. I have kept three of her daughters and her one bull calf is a herd bull for a producer down the road.

This heifer out of 7132t is springing right now. I hope she performs like I think she will.

Now I am good for the next month or so :lol2:

Taurus":2updl0sq said:
backhoeboogie":2updl0sq said:
Taurus":2updl0sq said:
Here's my favorite cow of the day. She is fullblooded fleck Simmental. She's a result of A.I, out of a registered fleck cow and fleck bull, tho I had a cleanup fleck bull too but I don't remember who is her actual sire so I'll just call her a 100% sim.

Guess I would have to see her EPDs.

She needs dehorning. I don't like her topline. Would prefer a bit more ear for this climate.
I'm not sure what her EPDs are. I kept her record in my brain but I forget.

Dun is likely interested. Just think how well she could improve that Dimetrious line!

(wasn't that the name of that bull Dun? I have never laughed so hard. Ugliest bovine on God's green earth).

I like that Atlas dtr Hoss. You need to stick a straw of Tim in her next year. Either that or buy one of his sons next spring at the seedstock plus sale.

3waycross":8uhgwwmp said:
I like that Atlas dtr Hoss. You need to stick a straw of Tim in her next year. Either that or buy one of his sons next spring at the seedstock plus sale.
I might just do that.

BMCC, That looks a little like a cow I had 20 years ago, wasn't the prettiest thing, but it turns out her daughters and granddaughters are all top producers... Mine was a little bonier looking, and also funky horns (one broke as a yearling, but still grew)

Here is mine, at about 14 years old or so... Grandma of the couple I posted a couple pages back
cowsnov1405009.jpg

Here is another 50% Murray Grey x 50% Angus cow. This photo was taken during the middle of January. We had not fed hay or range cubes at all when that photo was taken. She is a 1/2 sister to the previous 50% cow. She was born in October 2009. As a first calf heifer, she weaned a 604 lb bull calf. The following year, she had a heifer that was born a month later than the majority of our calves. That heifer weighed 584 lbs at weaning. This cow was bred 1st cycle this year and didn't come back in to heat, so she should calve first cycle next year.
IMG_0017_zpsc285a28a.jpg

She is a frame score 4 and weighs slightly under 1400 lbs after weaning her calf.

A purebred Murray Grey cow. She is 8 1/2 years old. She has a very nice bull calf on her this year. She is a half sister to our best cow. She was born March 5, 2006. Her calves are very low birthweight. She has had 4 consecutive bull calves, and I am hoping for a heifer next year.
IMG_1883_zpse9bc14c2.jpg

I enjoy reading this thread every day or two. Thank you for starting it, CG8.

I would post more pictures of mine, but, among OTHER reasons, I mostly just hate taking the time to deal with photobucket.

Why can't this forum have a way to upload directly to the post?

That Murray Grey cow is beautiful. I am not familiar with that breed. How are they different from Charolais?

That Murray Grey cow is beautiful. I am not familiar with that breed. How are they different from Charolais?