Cow of the Day

Help Support CattleToday:

cowgirl8

Reaction score
Here is a thread you can post your fav cows. Only rule is, get a profile shot and if she has a name be sure to add it.
I'll start off with 033. Her number indicates she was born in 2000. She's old, but is still with the younger girls.

She has no name which means she's been no trouble at all. Most get names like 3teat, 7 toes, jerkybutt,..........so, no name is good sometimes..lol

#50 but she lost her ear tag and I can tell her from the other cows so I didn't put another on her. She was thin when I purchased her in December 2012 had a heifer calf April 2013 (that I kept) and has had another heifer which was born in March. Call her blue cow think it is obvious why.
Pictures from when she was purchased:
#49 (front) and #50 (back) were purchased from the same person in bad condition (the rest of his cows looked worse at the time).

#50 is the better cow in my opinion.

Now:

#49 can be seen behind the angus x char steer calf in this picture

MoonPie, 1/4 Belted Galloway 3/4 Black Angus. She is either 2008 or 2009 (all cattle birth dates are on computer). She always weaned biggest calves out of our herd. Last year she weaned 785lbs steer calf.
IMG_20130929_143227_094_zps59cd0e19.jpg

Her heifer calf from two summers ago. Weaned 763lbs.
IMG00434-20120805-1119.jpg

IMG00490-20120812-1330.jpg

This cow is probably my favorite. She raises outstanding calves each year. She was born in 2003 and is pictured at age 10. She is a frame score 3.
IMG_1952_zpsc69eebf6.jpg

The same cow with her bull calf from 2 years ago. The calf is 7 months old in the photo and was weaned at 682 lbs. He is our current herd bull now.
IMG_0187_zps8ad719e5.jpg

The bull calf almost 2 years later.
IMG_1538_zps928aaf0c.jpg

The cow above has great genetics, and she is very easy keeping. She is one of our oldest cows, but her heifer this year is one of our best. I hope that she has a few more calves before she doesn't breed back.

Taurus, I didn't realize you had belted Galloways! The cow with the wider band, are you saying that she is 3/4 Angus and 1/4 Belted Galloway? She raises a heck of a calf at 785 lb, that made a really big calf. It looks like the calf had enough room for the map of the continent of North America on it's side. :lol2:
UT has Belted Galloways at the college.

Chuckie":2agyfn2w said:
Taurus, I didn't realize you had belted Galloways! The cow with the wider band, are you saying that she is 3/4 Angus and 1/4 Belted Galloway? She raises a heck of a calf at 785 lb, that made a really big calf. It looks like the calf had enough room for the map of the continent of North America on it's side. :lol2:
UT has Belted Galloways at the college.
I thought you knew. She is one of three best cows in the whole herd. I only have 7 beltie x Angus crosses here. We have a full belted bull calf that is 1/16th belted Galloway, 15/16th Black Angus last spring. MoonPie's daughter weaned off a 800lbs steer calf last year and that was her first calf. Can't wait to eat that steer soon.

Star is my favorite but this might be my best cow. Simangus. 50/50. Not a Hudson Pine as many think when they see that brand. It is a HP/RP partnership brand.
2rr1e2a.jpg

My cow of the day is This Is My Fav Cow, Isnt She Pretty...........yes, thats her name. She's regal, and huge. She's a 2002 model, so she's getting old. Didnt calve with the herd this year, BUT, somehow she's going to calve any day now. I have no idea who crossed the fence to do this, but i suspect its a neighbors bull from the east side and if it is, its ok with me. Just as long as its not the neighbors bull from the west, which it cant be because that neighbor moved his cattle over a year ago....so pretty stoked that we got one out of the other neighbor, it was a nice angus bull....She'll get to stay another year, was bummed she was getting culled for not calving.

cowgirl8":215o3zap said:
My cow of the day is This Is My Fav Cow, Isnt She Pretty...........yes, thats her name. She's regal, and huge. She's a 2002 model, so she's getting old. Didnt calve with the herd this year, BUT, somehow she's going to calve any day now. I have no idea who crossed the fence to do this, but i suspect its a neighbors bull from the east side and if it is, its ok with me. Just as long as its not the neighbors bull from the west, which it cant be because that neighbor moved his cattle over a year ago....so pretty stoked that we got one out of the other neighbor, it was a nice angus bull....She'll get to stay another year, was bummed she was getting culled for not calving.

That should never be ok in a herd your size. Just asking for trich, along with a zillion other things.

I see right now this is going to be cowgirl's photoalbum..Already got some posting 3-4 plus calves so I'll post a two in one. Nothing special. A first calf heifer and she's registered but I no longer own her. Just got the pic.

ricebeltrancher":1s42btq9 said:
cowgirl8":1s42btq9 said:

That should never be ok in a herd your size. Just asking for trich, along with a zillion other things.
Should've had cull her for being late calver and at her age it's time for her to go.

Taurus":3vyfkc4o said:
What a beautiful cow and calf TB!
Sold the whole herd during the drought of '11 Taurus so only have a few pics left of them. That old tigerstripe behind her is the only one I didn't sell and that rascal will die on the place I suppose unless I get a cowboy out here to rope her. :lol: She was bred at the time, had a calf and we bought a little commercial brangus bull to put with her. Got about a dozen cross breeds now

TexasBred":z3suqjne said:
I see right now this is going to be cowgirl's photoalbum..Already got some posting 3-4 plus calves so I'll post a two in one. Nothing special. A first calf heifer and she's registered but I no longer own her. Just got the pic.

I like her.