Cow of the Day

Help Support CattleToday:

My favorite cow is Duchess (a registered Original Full Blood Braunvieh). We call her the Heffalump (Winnie the Pooh's name for an elephant.) She is a gentle cow with tremendous bone and capacity. The only profile photos that I have are from when she was young.

12 months old

i-LvJRxKp-M.jpg

17 months old (our son is over 6 feet tall).

i-TF4zbpt-M.jpg

and more recently

i-h2sKXrs-M.jpg

She will turn 9 years old in September.

chippie":294cv9vo said:
My favorite cow is Duchess (a registered Original Full Blood Braunvieh). We call her the Heffalump (Winnie the Pooh's name for an elephant.) She is a gentle cow with tremendous bone and capacity. The only profile photos that I have are from when she was young.

12 months old

i-LvJRxKp-M.jpg

17 months old (our son is over 6 feet tall).

i-TF4zbpt-M.jpg

and more recently

i-h2sKXrs-M.jpg

She will turn 9 years old in September.
is the calf sired by an angus bull?

Her name is 333, my oldest cow at the house. Only cow that does not have a real name. She will be 12 yrs in January, and I took this picture in the late Spring. Add the two numbers up when she first has a calf, and it comes out to the right number. Good Mother, but I always dread it when she calves as she want's no one to touch it. The hay ring works perfect as I roll it to the calf and make a corral. After a few days, she is calms back down.
333-11yrsold-2014.jpg

My pet Peewee, in her prime at 3 yrs. She was always looking for a handout or a good scratching.

She was orphaned at 2 mos old, her then owner saw her stealing milk so left her out with the herd rather than raise her in a pen in isolation or give her away at the sale. We bought her at weaning, barely a 4 wt. Poured some grain and TLC into her, she bred on time and when she weaned her first calf she weighed 950. Probably maxed out at 1100.

She wasn't a doting mother who was always licking her calf and loving on it like some cows, but she got the job done.

She died last winter. One of her daughters is our current "best cow".

Chuckie":1zvgegzm said:
Good looking cows TB! That must be a nice cool shady spot to graze about now. I like those big trees spaced out. Nice looking place.
Can't remember when that as taken but probably 4-5 years ago. Look at that grass...or lack of grass...about a half inch tall....bone dry. Must have been early fall as the leaves are brown but still on the trees.

MO_cows":fd5l7gky said:
My pet Peewee, in her prime at 3 yrs. She was always looking for a handout or a good scratching.

She was orphaned at 2 mos old, her then owner saw her stealing milk so left her out with the herd rather than raise her in a pen in isolation or give her away at the sale. We bought her at weaning, barely a 4 wt. Poured some grain and TLC into her, she bred on time and when she weaned her first calf she weighed 950. Probably maxed out at 1100.

She wasn't a doting mother who was always licking her calf and loving on it like some cows, but she got the job done.

She died last winter. One of her daughters is our current "best cow".

Red Angus........... :shock: :hide: .... ;-)

Lots of very nice cows pictured!, certainly like CB's and Socks, and even moreso painted red ;)

Here's my current best, you've all seen Mega before.. 4 years old, excellent milker, Gelbvieh x SH with a little Hereford. Current steer calf looks to be on track for a 750 lb 205day weight.
20140805_101358_zpsd5a82dd0.jpg

And you're probably all seen Caddy before too, 8 years old, More feed efficient than Mega and stays fat easily, had a 750 lb bull calf last year, probably 700 this year, have 2 daughters that both look pretty good. She's SH x Saler with a bit of Herf as well.. Same grandma as Mega, it's where they both get the good udders from!
20140805_102442_zps32166728.jpg

Another one of our old girls. She never got a number so i dont know how old she is. This is My Girl, shown by our youngest daughter probably around 1998. She'll be 100% sim, guessing when they turned red w/f. Sims went from wildly colored red and white, to red w/f, to solid red, to black... She's the one who reverted back on her calf this year and had a old school colored sim calf.

cowgirl8":21acynv9 said:
Another one of our old girls. She never got a number so i dont know how old she is. This is My Girl, shown by our youngest daughter probably around 1998. She'll be 100% sim, guessing when they turned red w/f. Sims went from wildly colored red and white, to red w/f, to solid red, to black... She's the one who reverted back on her calf this year and had a old school colored sim calf.

cowgirl8, I did not see you all day yesterday. I have a comment and it is not meant to be negative. I cannot define this but that cow looks odd. Maybe those with a trained eye can define it.

Because I'm calling her sim?
Spent all day in er with husband. Tree limb slung and hit him. Thought his neck was broken.He's fine but sore.

Latest posts