Cow Bagging up early

Help Support CattleToday:

dun":2b3cd792 said:
EAT BEEF":2b3cd792 said:
What do you folks think?

I think you'll know when it happens. And there isn;t a darn thing you can do about it.

Well I didn't have to wait to long.She had about a seven month along calf tonight.

EAT BEEF":19pnazbq said:
dun":19pnazbq said:
EAT BEEF":19pnazbq said:
What do you folks think?

I think you'll know when it happens. And there isn;t a darn thing you can do about it.

Well I didn't have to wait to long.She had about a seven month along calf tonight.

Dead or alive? Check out the link to see how far along it was: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=44910

Thanks for the link. I'd say I was about right as it had most of it's hair,but kinda thin hair.It was dead when I found it, about 35 or so lbs is my guess I might wieght it in the morning.She might have had an infection like was mentioned by redcowsrule,the afterbirth didn't look real nice?

EAT BEEF":2ctd7sk9 said:
Thanks for the link. I'd say I was about right as it had most of it's hair,but kinda thin hair.It was dead when I found it, about 35 or so lbs is my guess I might wieght it in the morning.She might have had an infection like was mentioned by redcowsrule,the afterbirth didn't look real nice?

Was the afterbirth kind of pinkish frothy looking?

dun":2p22anz2 said:
EAT BEEF":2p22anz2 said:

Yes parts of it did and it just wasn't heathy looking,I was looking thru my calving book from last year and while she didn't have any visable retained afterbirth she had alot discharge for a week or so.I didn't think much of it I guess as it cleared up and she breed back on time(but did miss her A.I.).I'm wondering if the problem could have started then?

EAT BEEF":3h9w3hu8 said:
dun":3h9w3hu8 said:
EAT BEEF":3h9w3hu8 said:

Yes parts of it did and it just wasn't heathy looking,I was looking thru my calving book from last year and while she didn't have any visable retained afterbirth she had alot discharge for a week or so.I didn't think much of it I guess as it cleared up and she breed back on time(but did miss her A.I.).I'm wondering if the problem could have started then?

The next question is related to the afterbirth. Are the leg bones in the calf pliable or are the hard? Either way, I would isolate her from the others and keep them away from the spot that she calved and cleaned.

Was the afterbirth kind of pinkish frothy looking?[/quote]

Dun, You don't say! are you thinking something like Lepto?

Rod

MR3":3kt3e79m said:
Dun, You don't say! are you thinking something like Lepto?

Rod
If the AB was pink and frothy and the bones are pliable I was thinking possibly chlamydia, aka foot hills abortion.

I have a cow that is bagging up about 2-2.5 months early right now and has some discharge I noticed tonight.I never have had many abortions or premature calves.So my question is, is it normal for a cow to bag up if they are getting ready to abort or have a premature calf?

One of my cows did that last spring - bagged up, had the calf seven weeks early. Can't say I'd noticed it happen before, and there were another two started springing at the same time (I'd been scratching my head wondering if a bull had got in with the herd early, except that they'd all been up for AI) that I kept a close watch on after that, and they went full-term.

Latest posts