Country Music

Help Support CattleToday:

Well,

If you're taking requests, it'll go in this order....

When I'm cleanin the barn I love to sing along with Brooks N Dunn "Neon Moon"... kind of makes you want to dance with the broom.
If I'm going to cry its because "Alyssa Lies" is on the radio
One that touches my soul is "Almost Home" ....just climbed out of a cottonwood tree, I was runnin from some honey bees..etc.
and "I'd done a lot of things different" by Kenney Chesney
Driving in the car is anything Rascall Flats
One I always laugh about is "Good Directions" or the turnip truck song.

In general I love all music... but what I can't stand is Redneck Woman by Gretchen Wilson...makes country women all sound like beer guzlin hoosiers. In Susie/David fashion... thats my 2 cents asked for or not.

Thanks I thought Amarillo Sky was a pretty good song, lookin for some others to start listening to.

LOVE the song "Bomb Shell Stomp" !!!

"We got Tennessee moonshine
Chicken and beer
The bands in the barn
And the gangs all here!"

Reminds me of when I was a teenager some.
Makes you want to dance!!

Chances are a lot of people will disagree with me on this first person, he's not exactly liked very much on these boards.

Anything by Garth Brooks, and I mean anything. Listening to Garth always puts me in a good mood, or watching anything Garth. I happen to be a tad obsessed with one Mr Brooks :lol: A lot of other people are aswell though(just not here evidently)..He's not the highest selling solo artist of all time for nothing :D I could go on all day(I'm not exaggerating either). Personally I believe there is no one better

Anything by George Strait or Brooks & Dunn. I got to see Brooks & Dunn live 3 weeks ago, without a doubt the best live act I've seen.
Anything Johnny Cash is good aswell. And the other old stuff. Hank Williams, George Jones, Waylon Jennings.
Kenny Chesney's latest CD is great, as is Alan Jackson's. AJ's gone back more to the traditional side, which is gold from him.
Mrs Garth Brooks aka Trisha Yearwood is good, anything by her is usually good, particularly her duets with Mr Brooks. She's my favourite female country artist.
Reba also, Loretta Lynn, The Carter Family.

The only act that I really don't like is Rascal Flatts, they just seem like the Backstreet Boys to me.

I could go on all day about who's good and who's not, but I won't bore you more than I already have.

Anything upbeat when I am cruising on the bike with the cd blaring. In the truck I just mixed a bunch of stuff with Alan Jackson, Brooks&Dunn, Johnny Cash, Willie, Walon, Sugarland, Brad Paisley, and heck I forget the rest. I think I have about 130-150 songs on one CD.

Anything that's about 40 to 50 years old, in particular, "The Blizzard". Can't remember the artist right now. If that don't make you cry, there's something wrong with you.

Jim62":1tx8c1ap said:
Anything that's about 40 to 50 years old, in particular, "The Blizzard". Can't remember the artist right now. If that don't make you cry, there's something wrong with you.

Gentleman Jim Reeves!

This could be a big list for me but as far as men singers ,George Strait,George Jones,and Allen Jackson.And the Gals, Barbara Mandrel,Loreta Lyn, and Dolly dublebump.

Cal

Willie and any other authentic Texas artist that has not gone pop, like Pat Green. Used to love him, but not so much anymore. Love Robert Earle Keene, Kevin Fowler, Shooter Jennings, Charlie Robinson, names fail me at the moment.

I avoid commercial stuff in favor of the less traveled musical roads. Generally, it if is Top 40, I don't like a lot of it.

i like the old country music an singers of years ago.not the singers an new age songs that they have today.i quit listening to country music years ago because they got away from country roots.an went to the new age country.

Some of my favorites in no particular order; Johnny Cash, Dwight Yoakam, Patsy Cline, Bob Wills and the Texas Playboys, Nancy Griffith.

Lammie":3d1t7bky said:
Willie and any other authentic Texas artist that has not gone pop, like Pat Green. Used to love him, but not so much anymore. Love Robert Earle Keene, Kevin Fowler, Shooter Jennings, Charlie Robinson, names fail me at the moment.

I avoid commercial stuff in favor of the less traveled musical roads. Generally, it if is Top 40, I don't like a lot of it.

You and flaboy need to quit putting the Western in "country" threads. :lol:

backhoeboogie":3tv3jtqx said:
Lammie":3tv3jtqx said:

You and flaboy need to quit putting the Western in "country" threads. :lol:

II like all the old stuff that Mama and Daddy had in their record collection. It taught me a lot about music composition that I was able to use when I was in school, particularly about harmonies. I learned to pick out different parts to a song from an early age. It was great aural training.

I learned a lot about orchestration from listening to Ray Price, whom I love, and that isn't really what I would call Country, although he's about as country a man as you can find.

I used to like Pat Green, but when he started having commerical success, then his sound changed and he became a Pop music star to me. He lost his original sound in order to keep that demographic he'd found. And I don't think that Rascal Flats et al, are country music. It is pretty good, but let's call it Pop if that is what it is.

I like Willie Nelson because he can take anything and make it his own. He can sing show tunes, pop standards, country stuff, and he's written fantastic music. Today I heard him singing "Still Crazy After All These Years", which is a Paul Simon standard and, without really changing it, he made it his own and just nailed it! It was great. And if people like it they will, and if they don't then he don't care. He's making music.

I like to think that I have a wide variety of tastes when it comes to music. I don't think it would extend as far as some of the acts that are on the radio today. They have worked hard and they probably deserve their success, but it ain't country.

i can tell you the singer an the name of the song by listening to the opening of the old country songs.

I don't know if he's considered "country" or "western", but I like Jason Boland and the Stragglers pretty well. But it's pretty hard to beat George Strait, living legend and keeps knockin it outta the park.

f150fatboy

Chris LeDoux - This Cowboy's Hat and anything else that he recorded.
Keith Urban - Stupid Boy and I Told You So.

Lammie":ob2w1ow0 said:
I like Willie Nelson because he can take anything and make it his own. He can sing show tunes, pop standards, country stuff, and he's written fantastic music. Today I heard him singing "Still Crazy After All These Years", which is a Paul Simon standard and, without really changing it, he made it his own and just nailed it! It was great. And if people like it they will, and if they don't then he don't care. He's making music.

They laughed him out of Nashville in the early 70's. He was nominated for "Entertainer of the Year" and the camera panned the audience. Many of the stars there were literally in the floor laughing. There was then a campaign for everyone to send their albums to them, broke in half. I remember all the hoopla from KiKK in Houston.

I was hoping to find a link somewhere to the video of it on the net but I can't find it.

Bob Wills was one of the old time favorites Mom and Dad used to listen to. Some of my earliest childhood memories of music was Bob Wills records mom played.

Well growing up with the old country music, I do like that. I like most of the male singers. Sugarland, Taylor Swift, Miranda lambert, Little Big Town. Carrie Underwood is ok. Her being a Peta person bothers me. It shouldn't but it does. And I really hope Jessica Simpson stays away from country. She is such a joke.

Latest posts