Music

Help Support CattleToday:

I have seen just about every 80 hair bands there are, from Pink Floyd Zepplin, ZZ top, Triumph, Sammy Hagar (12 times) Van Halen (5 times) Ozzy Osborne, BTO, Chicken Foot, Aerosmith, Bad Company, Tesla, Bryan Adams, Zebra, Fleetwood Mac, Dio, Doobie Bros, Def Leppord, Styx etc.... Been to hundreds and I still go
You can add most of those too! Paul and Wings tour.
Downtown Seattle was 2 ferry rides away $2.50 round trip .

Things are different from nearly 50 years ago in Seattle

Elton John (I was 15, maybe? Goodbye Yellow Brick Road album had just released.)
Waylon Jennings(twice), Emmylou Harris & Willie Nelson, Barbara Mandrell & the Statler Brothers.
Saw Riders in the Sky in a free concert on the Cater Hall lawn, when I was in college, back around 1981... I'd seen them on Austin City Limits just a week or so earlier.

Went to ROMP Fest bluegrass festival in Owensboro, several years ago, when my youngest was doing an internship with the International Bluegrass Music Hall of Fame & Museum. Got to see Jerry Douglas and the Earls of Leicester, Marty Stuart & his Fabulous Superlatives, as well as a number of up & coming bluegrass greats, like Billy Strings.

Always wanted to go to see/hear Doc Watson, the Allman Brothers Band and Marshall Tucker Band in concert, but never got to see any of them live... and most of them are dead now...
If you like bluegrass, the Walnut Valley Bluegrass Festival is in Sept. People come from all over the US, weeks in advance, and it's one big, non-stop party.

The last good concert I went to was Steppenwolf in Houston, July 5, 1969. A group called Strawberry Alarm Clock opened for them. The old Sam Houston Coliseum.
(I believe the last one I went to was in Memphis a few years later. Paul Revere and the Raiders. It sucked.

Saw a Danny O'Keefe concert at Georgia Southern College in 1973 while he was riding a wave of popularity after "Good Time Charlie's Got the Blues" hit the charts.

We have a place near Shiner, TX with my great grandparents old house on it so when I was in high school a big group of us use to go to Bocktoberfest at the brewery. We made a several day event out of it and saw some good bands over the years.

Nickleback puts on an awesome concert no matter if you are a fan or not.

When Trapt plays Headstrong be ready. I have seen them more than once and every time the place went insane.

Kid Rock puts on a great show. He is an awesome entertainer and has girls dancing on poles on each side of the stage the entire time.

I've seen most of the older, more original Texas country bands more than once... Sammy Kershaw, Mark Chesnut...

We use to skip school to go to Concrete Street in Corpus when I was younger.

... good times. 😜

I will say that bands that have good songs dont always have great live shows and bands that you may not be fond of can put on great shows that are a lot of fun.

ZZ Top twice
Kiss
Ted Nugent (I was a stage bouncer in front of the biggest stack of Marshall Amps I have ever seen and my hearing has never been the same) - His opening act was Pat Travers.

John Conley
Willie Nelson
Bocephus (George Jones was supposed to open for him but he was passed out drunk at the local airport and never made it to the venue. Hank Jr. was mad and it showed in his show.)

And King George ... Twice. Once Terri Clark opened for him and she was great.
Alan Jackson

... seems like there were some others but I can't remember them right now ... I guess they were not that great ...

ZZ Top twice
Kiss
Ted Nugent (I was a stage bouncer in front of the biggest stack of Marshall Amps I have ever seen and my hearing has never been the same) - His opening act was Pat Travers.

John Conley
Willie Nelson
Bocephus (George Jones was supposed to open for him but he was passed out drunk at the local airport and never made it to the venue. Hank Jr. was mad and it showed in his show.)

And King George ... Twice. Once Terri Clark opened for him and she was great.
Alan Jackson

... seems like there were some others but I can't remember them right now ... I guess they were not that great ...
I have Ted Nugent on my bucket list Pat Travers great opening act. How was Teddy???

Travis Tritt's gonna be playing a free concert here in downtown Hoptown this Saturday night (21Aug). Don't know that I'll go though.

Mark Collie, who I always thought was underrated and didn't get near enough airplay or attention, played a free 4th of July concert at the stadium here back around 1995 or 1996. Great show. Liked him in his role as Harry Heck in The Punisher movie.

John Anderson Charlie Daniels, Peter Framton, REO, Moody Blues with Knights in White Satin was awesome. I would remember more, but it was the '70's n '80's. There were more, So much smoke In my eyes, i can't remember all.

Bocephus (George Jones was supposed to open for him but he was passed out drunk at the local airport and never made it to the venue. Hank Jr. was mad and it showed in his show.).
That's interesting. What year was that? What did Hank do that made him seem angry? Did he comment about George?

The Statler Brothers used to put on Happy Birthday USA in Staunton, Va every year for 25 years.... went to nearly everyone after I moved here to Va in 1981.... they almost always had a headline singer.... The concerts were free..... and there were thousands and thousands of people here..... I can't think off hand of all of them... Ricky Van Shelton cancelled on them one year....that was the pitts....Reba McIntyre, Don Williams, Neal McCoy and Charlie Daniels... I think Mel Tillis... Oh yeah, Jerry Reid.... funnier than all get out....Conway Twitty......
Saw George Strait when Taylor Swift opened for him... at the John Paul Jones Arena in Charlottesville..... just came out with the song about Tim McGraw... Honestly, I was not impressed with her... but she was just a gangly kid then, all long legs and soft voice.... but someone saw something I didn't.... she sure went on from there....
Ronnie Milsap, Aaron Tippin, Charlie Daniels, Kathy Mattea, Alabama, Darryl Worley, there are more I am sure. Mostly saw them at a couple of the fairs....
Would have liked to have seen Kenny Rogers, "Whispering Bill Anderson", Bobby Bare, a few of the other "oldies".... Jim Reeves......

I have Ted Nugent on my bucket list Pat Travers great opening act. How was Teddy???
Ted was awesome. This was back in the early 80's when he was clad in a leopard breechclout and nothing else. He swung in like Tarzan on a big cable and started playing his guitar and it was non-stop for about two hours. He was wringing wet with sweat and grinning like a fat kid in a candy store. In other words, he was REALLY having fun.

That's interesting. What year was that? What did Hank do that made him seem angry? Did he comment about George?
I want to say it was in 1983 or '82 maybe ... Hank just stomped around on stage and hollered at us to get up and have fun. I really got the impression that most of the crowd had come out to see George Jones and I think Hank, Jr. could sense that. He didn't like playing second fiddle, even though he was the headlining act. And then George no-showed him, to boot. He didn't say anything about that, but that is what I think .

Ted was awesome. This was back in the early 80's when he was clad in a leopard breechclout and nothing else. He swung in like Tarzan on a big cable and started playing his guitar and it was non-stop for about two hours. He was wringing wet with sweat and grinning like a fat kid in a candy store. In other words, he was REALLY having fun.
I can see that, Sammy Hagar was the same way. He would climb all throughout the stadium when he preformed

Travis Tritt's gonna be playing a free concert here in downtown Hoptown this Saturday night (21Aug). Don't know that I'll go though.

Mark Collie, who I always thought was underrated and didn't get near enough airplay or attention, played a free 4th of July concert at the stadium here back around 1995 or 1996. Great show. Liked him in his role as Harry Heck in The Punisher movie.

I thought Mark Collie played was way more Johnny Cash that Joaquin Phoenix. His short film "I Still Miss Someone" was, in my opinion, a spot-on performance.

Didn't he make that film as a kind of an "audition" to play The Man in Black in "I Walk the Line?"

Fun fact: He's huge into golf. He was one of the sponsors of a celebrity scramble we played in when we were living in Scottsdale (Harmon Killebrew was on our team). I didn't get to meet him, but he is definitely charismatic!

I went to see Alabama with the group of friends I ran around with about 40 years ago. I was never a fan of theirs (and still am not), but Janie Fricke opened for them. She put on a good show.

I saw George Strait at several little local dance halls about the same time.

A few years ago I saw Junior Brown in Tomball, TX. He puts on a good show.

I want to say it was in 1983 or '82 maybe ... Hank just stomped around on stage and hollered at us to get up and have fun. I really got the impression that most of the crowd had come out to see George Jones and I think Hank, Jr. could sense that. He didn't like playing second fiddle, even though he was the headlining act. And then George no-showed him, to boot. He didn't say anything about that, but that is what I think .
Thanks for sharing. I love stories like this. That's I retesting; Hank had already developed his outlaw persona by that time and had a lot of his signature hits like Family Tradition, and All My Rowdy Friends Have Settled Down. It's strange imagining Hank having to ask the crowd to get up and have fun. I guess he hadn't quite transformed into what he would in just a few short years. On the other hand, George's career had been reignited by He Stopped Loving Her Today a couple of years earlier, and was continuing to have a great chart run. I guess Hank and George did have a different fan base, so if they were there to see George, I guess Hank only could be disappointing.

I saw Hank in 1989 with Sawyer Brown and Kentucky Headhunters. As far as I'm concerned, he blew their doors off. The crowd was practically asleep with Sawyer and Headhunters compared to how they exploded when Hank came out.

The crowd was around 17,000 when I saw them. How large would you estimate the crowd when you saw them?

I saw ABBA and they were pretty good, unfortunately there weren't any originals left in the band....

Would loved to have seen Slim Dusty, total legend.

Would like to see Chad Morgan but think he might be about done now.

Well, that is a part of the story that I just realized I managed to leave out. The coliseum holds about 12,000. There were about 10,000 there, and when it was announced that George Jones "was under the weather because of air-sickness due to turbulence on the plane ride" then about a third of the audience got up and left. So Bocephus was playing to a half-empty, half-angry crowd.

I will say that the Jones Boys, Possum's band, put on a really good, professional show without George. I suppose they had some experience with that. One of the guitar players took over the singing and did a really good job of sounding like George, even on "He Stopped Loving Her Today."

Latest posts