Music

Help Support CattleToday:

Oh, I forgot the Gatlin Brothers!

Technically, though, that was not a concert. It was a show they put on at Six Flags over Texas, and my church youth group had gone to Six Flags that day. They were fantastic. When they sang "Broken Lady'" everyone in the audience was singing along, and when they got to the acapella chorus, Larry shushed his brothers and let the audience sing. Then he said we sounded like a "church of Christ revival" and we stood up and cheered because that was exactly who we were!

Saw Marty Robbins back in the 70's. Can't remember anything about it because me and some other kids just roamed the halls. Didn't go to another concert until Judas Priest in 84.

Well, that is a part of the story that I just realized I managed to leave out. The coliseum holds about 12,000. There were about 10,000 there, and when it was announced that George Jones "was under the weather because of air-sickness due to turbulence on the plane ride" then about a third of the audience got up and left. So Bocephus was playing to a half-empty, half-angry crowd.

I will say that the Jones Boys, Possum's band, put on a really good, professional show without George. I suppose they had some experience with that. One of the guitar players took over the singing and did a really good job of sounding like George, even on "He Stopped Loving Her Today."
Thank for sharing. I've been to a lot of concerts, but nothing quite like that ever happened. George actually showed up when I went to his show. I saw him in 2006, so all that no-show stuff was behind by then.

Saw Stevie Ray Vaughan at a little nightclub in Nacogdoches one night. A place called "Crossroads". Didn't get to sit and enjoy because we were underage and busy trying to avoid the bouncers. This was before he was well known. That guy was Superman with a guitar.