cost per head for shots

Help Support CattleToday:

IHman

Reaction score
Might be selling my calves privately this year, they do not have shots but are weaned for 25 days, been fed silage & hay. How much per head should a fella take off for no shots? TIA for any help.

You have brought up two very different questions. Cost per calf for me is about $7.50 but that includes worming. But the difference in price might be as much as .10 per lb.

IHman":6ur5xwiu said:
Might be selling my calves privately this year, they do not have shots but are weaned for 25 days, been fed silage & hay. How much per head should a fella take off for no shots? TIA for any help.
your half way there why not green tag them?

OMG, i cant believe i almost agree with something inbred says. I typed why not keep them 20 more days and give them the shots they need and collect the extra money. But you did not ask that so I deleted it. But still think that is best idea.

I would not take any less for no shots. The demand for calves is very good and the calves with no shots are bringing just as much as those that have had shots around here. You can sit all day long and watch calves anounced as having shots bring the same money as those with no shots. It is the quality, condition, and frame of the calf that is making the difference in the price.

the reason you may see no price difference is mainly because we don't believe they have truely had the shots. green and golds in iowa are something you can bank on. or could bank on not sure if they still do it.