Cost for recips

Help Support CattleToday:

Frankie

Reaction score
There's been some discussion on these boards about what to charge for recips or what to pay for them. Got this email this morning and thought I'd post the prices listed. If you want the name and phone #, PM me.

We are taking orders now for August and September calving recips. Whether you have 5 or 50 embryos we would be glad to assist you in getting pregnancies made. How it works is you send us the embryos we put them in and deliver the pregnancy to your farm or ranch. One price is all you pay it includes implant of embryo,fetal sex ultrasound, and delivery. East of Mississippi is $1550 west of Mississippi is $1600. Get your order in early as we will fill up quikly. If you have any questions feel free to give us a call.

whoa $1500 an $1600 for recipes.thats a tad high for them isnt it.i was looking at a sale catalog last nite.an they was selling the recipes for $950 if you wanted to buy them out right.

That's cheap. All I can find recips for is $1750. That's why I am going to find some good commercial cows, or some inexpensive registered cows. Heck, I may even use virgin heifers as recips (Some may criticize, but I have seen it done with success). I can find good solid cows or even some solid registered cows that the owner lost the lease on the land they were grazing for around $1000. They are perfect for recips.

For everything included, I think it is a fair price. I got the same email. Knowing the guy, I feel you can trust the cows and that the current recip owners will follow through on what they offer. I can find decent cows around here for 8-950 but that doesnt give you anything but the cow. Parkers note says that the current owner will put the embryo's in and deliver the cow for that price. This is pretty much a guarantee in my book. No conception no money! But i bet these cows are all healthy and fertile.

Speaking of...

We've got 10-12 recips right now due to a bull going bad on us and leaving about 30 open. They're all breeders who just weaned their calves. We kept 10 based on ability to raise show steers and we culled 10 for bad udders, bent cervixes, etc.

The remaining cows consist of one Angus, one Simmental, one Red Angus, and the balance is F1 SimAngus. They're all 2nd to 4th calvers and the oldest of the group is an 05. They range in weight from 1100-1400. They all raise good calves and are good commercial cows (about half of them actually put a bit too much growth in their calves for what we're doing), they just don't have the power for what that part of our operation does. We're keeping them for two more weeks unless they can find a home in an ET program.

We're only looking for $900/head or so and we're located near San Antonio. If anybody is interested, let me know.

Latest posts