Corriente bull for beef heifers????

Help Support CattleToday:

DCA farm

Reaction score
hello
Wondering if breeding beef heifers (1st timers)to a corriente bull would be good idea bull I use for cows isn't best choice for heifers but don't have enough heifers to make sense buying another bull. Have a uncle who had a corriente bull I can use. I know calves will be docked come sale time but I'm not around farm all day ever day and would hate to need a calf pulled abd not be there. Anyone have any experience breeding beef heifers to corriente bull. I'm hoping because they are smaller framed bulls they would throw a lot smaller calve Way I'm
Looking at it a live calf is better no calf abd possibly dead heifer even if I would get docked at sale.

We used FB Corriente bulls on heifers for 3 years and then last year used 1/2 bloods. Had very good results. Only pulled one calf out of the half bloods this year and that was solely because we had a place to be and didn't have time to wait and see if she would have it. And in the 3 years that we used the FB's I would say we may of pulled 3-5. Not many for sure and didn't have any issues with those that we did. We have big framed heifers that were mainly weighing 1,250 or more when they calved. Got docked a little but not bad. Some were decent calves. We butchered one because he was colored and we knew he would be docked. He hung 835 lbs. So many of ours had some frame and weren't that small.

Being that I'm retiring and will be around this year we used a young Angus bull we raised. If we have any issues we will go back to the 1/2 bloods. The sire of the bull we used this year was a good heifer bull so hoping his son is also.

Its not a bad idea at all especially if your bull is solid black. Getting the cow through the first calf and rebred on time is one of the toughest thing for me. The dock is not that bad if the bull is good and solid colored.

If my beef heifers can't have a beef calf on their own I sure heck ain't buying a roping bull to use them. I'm selling all my cows and starting over in the cattle business because obviously I did something wrong breeding them cattle

Dad always used angus bulls on all his cows and heifers never had problem calving. I didnt go the black cow route I went the red cow route. May just bite the bullet and buy a young angus bull to put on everything

IMO there is very little difference in the quality of the part Corriente calves and the many of the no reared CE Angus calves. As long as they are solid black one sells as good as the other around here. In fact we've had breeders that wanted the heifers for replacements. They make a hardy, thrifty cow, that will milk decent and as big as the Pharo cattle. Especially the 1/4 Corrientes. I heard all the talk but with me being 200 miles away and her being in her 70's it worked well for us. Gets you a live calf with little worry.

DCA farm":1ftef4yv said:
hello
Wondering if breeding beef heifers (1st timers)to a corriente bull would be good idea bull I use for cows isn't best choice for heifers but don't have enough heifers to make sense buying another bull. Have a uncle who had a corriente bull I can use. I know calves will be docked come sale time but I'm not around farm all day ever day and would hate to need a calf pulled abd not be there. Anyone have any experience breeding beef heifers to corriente bull. I'm hoping because they are smaller framed bulls they would throw a lot smaller calve Way I'm
Looking at it a live calf is better no calf abd possibly dead heifer even if I would get docked at sale.

I would rather have a dose of :clap: than have corriente in the pasture.

DCA farm":20w2s2zk said:
hello

Corrientes and xs are popular hiefer bulls around here. And for a good reason. If you're gonna calves out in the pasture and not be right with them all the time corriente is a good choice. The calving ease will be more dependable than any epd.

DCA farm":3e1crct8 said:
these heifers where bought as light weight calves and raised on pasture and feed. Not breed or born here.
Sell your heifers and buy heifer pairs. By the time you feed and sell them half roping calves you could have bought yourself some known good genetics and have a calf to sell in just a short time.

Till-Hill":3fi2pe8i said:
DCA farm":3fi2pe8i said:
these heifers where bought as light weight calves and raised on pasture and feed. Not breed or born here.
Sell your heifers and buy heifer pairs. By the time you feed and sell them half roping calves you could have bought yourself some known good genetics and have a calf to sell in just a short time.

This^

At least use a wagyu or something that gives you an end product with value. Plenty of ratty cattle in the world, no reason to make more of them on purpose. You might be better off waiting an extra 6 months to breed them, likely $$ ahead in the long run.

Jake":3kl81wbl said:
Till-Hill":3kl81wbl said:
DCA farm":3kl81wbl said:

This^

At least use a wagyu or something that gives you an end product with value. Plenty of ratty cattle in the world, no reason to make more of them on purpose. You might be better off waiting an extra 6 months to breed them, likely $$ ahead in the long run.

I would like to get my hands on a waygu bull for that very reason. Although if I had a handful of bought hiefers and my uncle had a good hiefer bull...?..The corriente has a place . Maybe not your place. But it has one. The x calves usually don't get docked anymore than a Hereford steer does. And the x heifers can outperform most purebreds as momma cows. Especially in cattle country. I try to just post facts and keep a open mind that other people's situation might be different. Cuts the risk if giving bad advice.

callmefence":3sqo73b7 said:
Jake":3sqo73b7 said:
Till-Hill":3sqo73b7 said:

This^

I would like to get my hands on a waygu bull for that very reason. Although if I had a handful of bought hiefers and my uncle had a good hiefer bull...?..The corriente has a place . Maybe not your place. But it has one. The x calves usually don't get docked anymore than a Hereford steer does. And the x heifers can outperform most purebreds as momma cows. Especially in cattle country. I try to just post facts and keep a open mind that other people's situation might be different. Cuts the risk if giving bad advice.

I agree with you that individual situations can offer different options as the correct decision.

Location of the OP would help. A corriente calf in this cattle country is going to get hit .50+ and come off small. At that point your better off waiting to breed her especially if you're low on labor and 30 mo old heifer is going to breed back and calve easier than a 24 mo old heifer. All comes down to a math equation.

Jake":2h6zg59h said:
callmefence":2h6zg59h said:
Jake":2h6zg59h said:
This^

I agree with you that individual situations can offer different options as the correct decision.

Location of the OP would help. A corriente calf in this cattle country is going to get hit .50+ and come off small. At that point your better off waiting to breed her especially if you're low on labor and 30 mo old heifer is going to breed back and calve easier than a 24 mo old heifer. All comes down to a math equation.

Agreed.. the plan for the hiefers can make a difference as well.

Cattle country...... country where there is no row cropping.

callmefence":17072rco said:
Jake":17072rco said:
Till-Hill":17072rco said:

This^

. The Wagyu's I've seen are sorrier than the 1/2 and 1/4 Corrientes. Around here a good quality Hereford don't take anymore dock than a Red Angus or any other Red. And the Hereford/Angus cross still tops the market. There are a lot sorrier calves at the sales than the Corriente crosses. There are PB Angus as sorry as anything. Ask the order buyers.

elkwc":g9c36v9x said:
The Wagyu's I've seen are sorrier than the 1/2 and 1/4 Corrientes. Around here a good quality Hereford don't take anymore dock than a Red Angus or any other Red. And the Hereford/Angus cross still tops the market. There are a lot sorrier calves at the sales than the Corriente crosses. There are PB Angus as sorry as anything. Ask the order buyers.

Doesn't matter what a wagyu looks like with the hide on, that's not where the premium is.

Jake":3gqdt9w8 said:

I didn't understand this part when we started. I bought my first set of cattle in 2014. It was a small group of PB Longhorn cattle. First year the bull was sterile, so we AI'd one to an Angus bull. That calf was pretty solid, but he could have been even bigger. Moral of the story is that 4 years later we're going full Angus, and these girls are BEEFY. I lost quite a bit of money learning this lesson. But, smart folks learn from their mistakes, idiots keep making the same ones over and over again-or something like that.

Latest posts