Corriente bull for beef heifers????

Help Support CattleToday:

We use Angus Bulls for heifers and that has worked pretty well here. That being said I can see some of the reasoning behind considering Corriente or longhorn bull. True the calves will be smaller and slower growing, but if the heifers are smaller or the owner is unable to check them often could make a difference in getting another live calf or two. Expense would be another factor, I have incurred quite the expense at times trying to purchase and maintain Angus heifer Bulls, but for us there isn't really any other breed choices for Bulls when selling bred heifers. Another factor could possibly be that heifers bred to a Corriente could possibly breed back in a timely fashion at a higher percentage. I see no logic in holding heifers longer to breed them to a more market acceptable bull breed. My way of thinking is get a calf on the ground and if the heifer is doing her part there should be a live calf to wean that will be worth something which is better than nothing.

DCA farm":lhpy3fv0 said:
hello
Wondering if breeding beef heifers (1st timers) to a corriente bull would be good idea....
I don't have enough heifers to make sense buying another bull. Have an uncle who has a Corriente bull I can use.
I know calves will be docked come sale time but....
Way I'm Looking at it a live calf is better than dead calf or possibly dead heifer even if.....docked at sale.
Yes your thinking is correct.
Controlling input expenses is a good step towards profit and breed them to your cow bull 2nd time around.

Do not breed to Wagyu unless you have a market plan for the calves or beef, otherwise it's a losing proposition.

Jake":2vdz9e1e said:
elkwc":2vdz9e1e said:
The Wagyu's I've seen are sorrier than the 1/2 and 1/4 Corrientes. Around here a good quality Hereford don't take anymore dock than a Red Angus or any other Red. And the Hereford/Angus cross still tops the market. There are a lot sorrier calves at the sales than the Corriente crosses. There are PB Angus as sorry as anything. Ask the order buyers.

Doesn't matter what a wagyu looks like with the hide on, that's not where the premium is.
. It does when you are selling them alive. I know of a breeder who raised some for a restaurant. When they quit taking them he took a bloodbath. Fortunately it was a small number.

What is best for one producer isn't for another. I will never tell a breeder what to do but do share my experiences. Angus and Hereford heifer bulls have came down in price around here. So they are a more viable option if a person has enough heifers to justify keeping a heifer bull. For us for the last 4 years using a Corriente cross or a cross worked well. We did try a few Angus bulls at different tunes including one sure fire sleep all night bull. The smallest calf was in the upper 80's. We pulled every calf sired by him. Only afiund one that worked well and he was supposed to be a heifer bull. His calves have some weight but are long and smooth shouldered. Retained a son of his and used him this year. In March I can let you know if it was smart or not. But again I will say most of the 1/4 cross calves aren't ratty. They aren't top of the market but are solid calves that bring in a check and the heifer breeds back quick.

elkwc":gqtdc77l said:
We used FB Corriente bulls on heifers for 3 years and then last year used 1/2 bloods. Had very good results. Only pulled one calf out of the half bloods this year and that was solely because we had a place to be and didn't have time to wait and see if she would have it. And in the 3 years that we used the FB's I would say we may of pulled 3-5. Not many for sure and didn't have any issues with those that we did. We have big framed heifers that were mainly weighing 1,250 or more when they calved. Got docked a little but not bad. Some were decent calves. We butchered one because he was colored and we knew he would be docked. He hung 835 lbs. So many of ours had some frame and weren't that small.

Being that I'm retiring and will be around this year we used a young Angus bull we raised. If we have any issues we will go back to the 1/2 bloods. The sire of the bull we used this year was a good heifer bull so hoping his son is also.
you pulled 3-5 calves.. out of how many births?

Nesikep":2m634mva said:
elkwc":2m634mva said:
We used FB Corriente bulls on heifers for 3 years and then last year used 1/2 bloods. Had very good results. Only pulled one calf out of the half bloods this year and that was solely because we had a place to be and didn't have time to wait and see if she would have it. And in the 3 years that we used the FB's I would say we may of pulled 3-5. Not many for sure and didn't have any issues with those that we did. We have big framed heifers that were mainly weighing 1,250 or more when they calved. Got docked a little but not bad. Some were decent calves. We butchered one because he was colored and we knew he would be docked. He hung 835 lbs. So many of ours had some frame and weren't that small.

Being that I'm retiring and will be around this year we used a young Angus bull we raised. If we have any issues we will go back to the 1/2 bloods. The sire of the bull we used this year was a good heifer bull so hoping his son is also.
you pulled 3-5 calves.. out of how many births?
Without going and looking at records somewhere between 70-80. And like I said a couple of them the heifers would of had. One we were going to an appointment and the other I was heading back to KS and didn't want to wait. So as soon as I saw a foot I put a chain on it and the one I pulled without the puller. One of the pulls had a leg turned back and after I got it straight she almost pushed it out before I put the chains on. So propably two that needed assistance and they were easy pulls.

I don't see anything wrong with using corriente/longhorn bulls using as a heifer bull. It's very common practice here and everywhere. Even corriente x Angus bulls are getting popular in some areas and we are starting to see more of them in our area. The resulting calves are pretty decent feeders and they do okay at the sale barns. And the 1/4 corriente calves looks like a plain old Angus.

I still get a kick out of these threads. Nothing gives me more pleasure, than to be told it can't be done.....While I am doing it. lol There is more than one way to turn a profit, ladies and gentlemen.

Bestoutwest":27pwrm27 said:
Jake":27pwrm27 said:
At least use a wagyu or something that gives you an end product with value. Plenty of ratty cattle in the world, no reason to make more of them on purpose. You might be better off waiting an extra 6 months to breed them, likely $$ ahead in the long run.

I didn't understand this part when we started. I bought my first set of cattle in 2014. It was a small group of PB Longhorn cattle. First year the bull was sterile, so we AI'd one to an Angus bull. That calf was pretty solid, but he could have been even bigger. Moral of the story is that 4 years later we're going full Angus, and these girls are BEEFY. I lost quite a bit of money learning this lesson. But, smart folks learn from their mistakes, idiots keep making the same ones over and over again-or something like that.

So thick cattle automatically means profitable cattle.......it's that simple??...
Gosh darn tell us poor idiots more. :lol:
And to think you figured it out with (how many?) cattle and four years... with that kinda scientific evidence who can argue. I mean surely your great herd is representative of all the cattle everywhere. please tell us more of your wisdom..... :pop:

callmefence":3vzn4nim said:
Bestoutwest":3vzn4nim said:
Jake":3vzn4nim said:
At least use a wagyu or something that gives you an end product with value. Plenty of ratty cattle in the world, no reason to make more of them on purpose. You might be better off waiting an extra 6 months to breed them, likely $$ ahead in the long run.

I didn't understand this part when we started. I bought my first set of cattle in 2014. It was a small group of PB Longhorn cattle. First year the bull was sterile, so we AI'd one to an Angus bull. That calf was pretty solid, but he could have been even bigger. Moral of the story is that 4 years later we're going full Angus, and these girls are BEEFY. I lost quite a bit of money learning this lesson. But, smart folks learn from their mistakes, idiots keep making the same ones over and over again-or something like that.

So thick cattle automatically means profitable cattle.......it's that simple??...
Gosh darn tell us poor idiots more. :lol:
And to think you figured it out with (how many?) cattle and four years... with that kinda scientific evidence who can argue. I mean surely your great herd is representative of all the cattle everywhere. please tell us more of your wisdom..... :pop:
Well to he honest, he did started with just three or four subpar longhorns that can't breed....

They sell heifer bulls everyday of the week. Why someone would waste a calf crop with a corriente, or LH bull is beyond me.

If you want a bull that has light BW, I have one standing in my pasture. Out of 25 calves this spring only 4 were above 80 lbs., on mature cows. Had one come in at a massive 42 pounds!
Got his son for sale.
Born 09-24-2017
68#BW
583 adj. WW
1017 adj. YW
Solid black 3/4 Sim- 1/4 Ang, smooth shoulders, good flex in his hip, small head. Got all the parts for calving ease. Out of a bull built for maternal qualities, and a cow with strong angus background.
$1850 out the door.

I'd rather buy a proven heifer bull with calves on ground than a virgin "proven" heifer bull with no offspring.

ALACOWMAN":1emzz5e2 said:
Muddy":1emzz5e2 said:
I'd rather buy a proven heifer bull with calves on ground than a virgin "proven" heifer bull with no offspring.
:???:
I guess I could turn him in on some heifers, and then he would be a proven "proven" heifer bull. :lol: ;-)
I could also sell you his dad, Muddy, if you want a proven heifer bull with offspring.
5 yo on 10/15
PB 31/32 Simmental
73# BW
782# adj. WW
1135# adj YW
2100#ish current weight
Avg. actual BW on 66 calves- 73#

$3000 out the door. :D

sim.-ang.king":2f8bgo9o said:
ALACOWMAN":2f8bgo9o said:
Muddy":2f8bgo9o said:
:???:
I guess I could turn him in on some heifers, and then he would be a proven "proven" heifer bull. :lol: ;-)
I could also sell you his dad, Muddy, if you want a proven heifer bull with offspring.
5 yo on 10/15
PB 31/32 Simmental
73# BW
782# adj. WW
1135# adj YW
2100#ish current weight
Avg. actual BW on 66 calves- 73#

$3000 out the door. :D
Thanks for your offer but I prefer Herefords now.

sim.-ang.king":xajaey5v said:
They sell heifer bulls everyday of the week. Why someone would waste a calf crop with a corriente, or LH bull is beyond me.

If you want a bull that has light BW, I have one standing in my pasture. Out of 25 calves this spring only 4 were above 80 lbs., on mature cows. Had one come in at a massive 42 pounds!
Got his son for sale.
Born 09-24-2017
68#BW
583 adj. WW
1017 adj. YW
Solid black 3/4 Sim- 1/4 Ang, smooth shoulders, good flex in his hip, small head. Got all the parts for calving ease. Out of a bull built for maternal qualities, and a cow with strong angus background.
$1850 out the door.

Is he beefy??

I've I was looking at breeding 15-20 heifers I could see it being worth buying a bull for them. I'm talking about breeding 3 heifers the calves off the 3 of them combined wouldn't cover the cost of buying a proven heifer bull just to use on the 3 of them reason I'm considering using the bull my uncle offered due to it not costing me a dime outta pocket just a little grass time. The bull I have ain't ever been bred to heifers reason I don't want to use him

Latest posts