Corriente bull for beef heifers????

Help Support CattleToday:

Perspective people.... 60 posts on question of breeding THREE heifers to a Corriente bull for calving ease
which he can use for free from his uncle. Good, bad or ugly the end result changes nobody's standard of living.

Caustic Burno":3sbxj9fu said:
Maybe in your neck of the woods,
down here where we grow em to mash scales they bring top dollar every Saturday. You need a better cow not a sorrier bull.
With today's input cost and prices why would anyone try to reduce their output . It cost a buck and a half a day to raise one to sell at a discount or a premium.
I am after premiums not discounts.

Ours up here mash the scales also. Like I've said I've had buyers say they would rather have our calves than those by an Angus heifer bull with no rearend. The other issue is there have been too many cases of that sleep all night bull siring calves with large shoulders and weighing 90 lbs or more. We had it happen on one we tried on a few 2 years ago. Pulled 100% of the calves and the smallest was 88 lbs and they went up from there.
Your Brimmers may bring top dollar in your area but bring them up here in feedlot country and see what the buyers give for them. They know what feeds the best and they discount those that don't. Your not going to fool them with your propaganda.
It sure doesn't cost me a buck and a half to raise one. And like I have stated our goal was to get a live calf on the first one and then breed them to a mature cow bull. Being that I'll be down there and not 210 miles away this spring we are trying a bull we raised. Not going to go with another EPD calving ease wonder.

Also as has been mentioned he was talking about breeding 3 heifers to a bull he could use for free. Are you willing to send him one you approve of to use for free? I highly doubt it. You talk about making sound econmic decisions buying one bull to breed 3 heifers when you can use one for free doesn't make financial sense. Most likely if he had used that bull the calves wouldn't have been the sorriest calves at the sale. Around here there are too many jerseys and steins from the dairies for that to happen.

Latest posts