Concept Aid minerals

Help Support CattleToday:

Jessica06

Reaction score
Ok. I hate to :deadhorse: , but I have a couple questions for those of you that use it. Mainly, which kind do you use, and how do you feed it? And how does it handle wet weather? Looking at all of the different formulas and the recommendations, we would probably need the 8/s, but it says feed 4 oz/hd/day, instead of free choice? Couldn't we just feed it free choice??? The 10 says free choice, but without salt wouldn't they just fly through it? :help:

ricebeltrancher":2n16ixpo said:
Ok. I hate to :deadhorse: , but I have a couple questions for those of you that use it. Mainly, which kind do you use, and how do you feed it? And how does it handle wet weather? Looking at all of the different formulas and the recommendations, we would probably need the 8/s, but it says feed 4 oz/hd/day, instead of free choice? Couldn't we just feed it free choice??? The 10 says free choice, but without salt wouldn't they just fly through it? :help:
4oz is about all they'll eat even free choice. Salt can both limit and encourage intake. If the salt is removed the mineral will be so unpalatable consumption will go to nothing so the company will add some other ingredients to it to make it taste well enough to consume but not so good that they over consume. They often use DDG, cottonseed meal and dried molasses. Finding the exact amount to use for proper consumption is a real needle in a haystack for the folks formulating the mineral.

Thanks! That makes sense. Might try to get ahold of some asap before we start setting cows up in April to AI. They had some samples at their booth in the trade show....it smelled really good.

We have been using the Vitaferm concept aide 8s with free choice salt. The cows went through the first two bags like candy, now on the third bag they have slowed to normal feed of 4oz roughly a day. Cows and calves are eating it. Have noticed a different in cows from front to back, especially what is on ground (LOL).
Also looking to have gotten almost 100% on AI this time.
Good product but a little expensive.

We have been using it for more than a year now, and are very pleased with the results. We had 100% conception on our embryos for fall breeding, even the cow that contracted the swollen jaw the day we put an embryo in seems to have stuck (she was 21 days on Friday, and still no heat). We put in 7 embryos, so that is really good. Our AI is excellent, with just one heifer not stuck after AI and she belongs to our pastor and has not been on the mineral program but just 70 days since she has been here. She is 21 days on Friday, so I hope this time she stuck.
The bad thing is our yearling bull is very bored :lol2: . He has yet to see any action, and might be sold as a virgin bull this spring if he sees no action.... Lol. :)

etmountianman71":eckmjygz said:
We have been using the Vitaferm concept aide 8s with free choice salt. The cows went through the first two bags like candy, now on the third bag they have slowed to normal feed of 4oz roughly a day. Cows and calves are eating it. Have noticed a different in cows from front to back, especially what is on ground (LOL).
Also looking to have gotten almost 100% on AI this time.
Good product but a little expensive.
Better to spend a bit extra on something that works than to spend anything on something that doesn't. ;-)

Latest posts