Clothes for hot weather

Help Support CattleToday:

tncattle

Reaction score
Lived my entire life (50 years) in middle Tn. It gets hot and humid and although I'm used to it I'd like to figure out something cooler to wear. I've discovered when working on the farm long pants and good boots helps keep bugs, ticks, snakes, water etc out. I've always worn heavy duty or thick blue jeans but man on these really hot & humid days they trap the heat. I'm a cheapskate on clothes but am willing to pay for something durable and cooler.

A good palm leaf hat, long sleeve light colored shirt, and good broke in Carhart carpenter jeans. New jeans are to dark and hot. Spend the dough on good clothes, and they end up cheaper than the cheap ones.....Just like fence. Look into the Armachillo shirts, or a similar knock off. My dad swears by them, but I don't have any yet. (looks like they'd burn up in welding sparks)

They aren't cheap, but I like the vented fishing shirts...but make sure you get the ones with a cotton shell instead of polyester or nylon.

In hot weather,I have been wearing Dickie's 874 or 5.11 ripstop(pricey, but good too).Lighter material per square yard and seem to hold up well.Never realized how much heat and sweat jeans trapped until I tried them.Son gave me a pair of the 5.11 he wears for his uniform which didn't fit him. One of those type and a khaki shirt.Plus a 4" brimmed straw hat with wide vent in the sides.
Plenty of water and canopies on the tractors.Or, "shade tree" jobs.

I'm in south/central Florida, so a little hot here for most of the year. My cowboy clothes are typically shorts, straw farmer's wide brim hat, a long sleeve Colombia type vented shirt (cotton), short white cotton socks, and old formerly white Nike tennis shoes! Unless I'm working on a barbed wire fence. Then, I substitute wrangler jeans for the shorts. I have all the boots and jeans, but I can move faster when needed when wearing the tennis shoes.

I met Gizmom and Gizdad, and picked up a young bull, and two bred heifers a couple of weeks ago. My attire was shorts, and I think I actually might have worn clean Nike shoes. Might have been some dirty ones though. On a side note, they are two fine people, for angus people anyway...LOL J/K. Really good group of cattle too..! My sidekick Maggie (my pitbull) certainly approved of them, and she greatly enjoyed the ride on the Gator.

Thin pants. Thin vented shirts. GOOD SOCKS. Breathable boots. Brimmed hat.

Have a drawer full of shorts, but haven't worn any in years. I'm hard on my shins. Need all the protection i can get.

Caustic Burno":13tb4nie said:
I am tellin y'all baggy bib overalls and a cotton t shirt is the coolest thing you can wear and really work.
Blue jeans are like a cheap motel no ballroom.
Leave those side buttons unbuttoned and you have a pretty neat pass through ventilation system especially when you bend at the waist. :nod:

TexasBred":2022o9ch said:
Caustic Burno":2022o9ch said:
I am tellin y'all baggy bib overalls and a cotton t shirt is the coolest thing you can wear and really work.
Leave those side buttons unbuttoned and you have a pretty neat pass through ventilation system especially when you bend at the waist. :nod:

You have worked in this jungle TB, not many places have the heat and humidity we do.

Caustic Burno":17vw10bi said:
TexasBred":17vw10bi said:
Caustic Burno":17vw10bi said:

You have worked in this jungle TB, not many places have the heat and humidity we do.

Got that right CB. Burning hot by 8 AM and never slacks up. Humidity thick enough to cut with a knife. Not to mention mosquitoes that are huge

Jeanne - Simme Valley":1r4d269k said:
I have bibs - with shorts - or you can always cut off your bibs & make your own shorts. But, bibs are comfy.
:lol: :lol: Now I can just see this ol' man out in the pasture in my bibbed "short shorts". I'd have to get me some crocs to go with them. :lol:

Carhartt canvas loose fit Jean's. I'm a linemen so working in the heat is what we do. Those are the best pants in the world. Get em soaking wet 20 min later bone dry. Only things I wear now.

Latest posts