clearing land

Help Support CattleToday:

How about this alternative for small acreage. Buy land with some timber on it. Clear cut the timber. Burn as much of the waste as you can in small piles the first winter. Put a fence around it and let some cows graze a couple years to keep anything new from establishing and any grass that might naturally come up. Then clear the decomposed stumps over time or just work around them. Put out some lime as soon you can get over it with a truck or tractor. You could throw out some ryegrass in the fall on top of the ground for spring grazing.

Douglas":6daiu3z9 said:
How about this alternative for small acreage. Buy land with some timber on it. Clear cut the timber. Burn as much of the waste as you can in small piles the first winter. Put a fence around it and let some cows graze a couple years to keep anything new from establishing and any grass that might naturally come up. Then clear the decomposed stumps over time or just work around them. Put out some lime as soon you can get over it with a truck or tractor. You could throw out some ryegrass in the fall on top of the ground for spring grazing.

I was going to say the same thing. If you can buy a larger tract of land for the same money - I would go that way. I'm assuming you are going to grow your herd over time anyway.

About 3 months ago a friend and I bought a timber mulcher . He finally finished with it and I had it brought to my place late yesterday evening . I had to do some welding repairs this morning but after lunch I climbed on it . In 4 hours I was able to clear the stumps off of about 6 acres . The stumps were pine and average 18 inches across . The ground looks like I tilled it . If I knew how to post pictures I would . .

Caustic Burno":33sge3j7 said:
mrvictordomino":33sge3j7 said:
CB, could you post a picture of your root rake??
Thanks,
DM

I did it is the one three or four post up.
Sorry CB, was looking at the site at work and sometimes the pictures don't show up for some reason.
DM

JSCATTLE":3c1ljhuh said:
About 3 months ago a friend and I bought a timber mulcher . He finally finished with it and I had it brought to my place late yesterday evening . I had to do some welding repairs this morning but after lunch I climbed on it . In 4 hours I was able to clear the stumps off of about 6 acres . The stumps were pine and average 18 inches across . The ground looks like I tilled it . If I knew how to post pictures I would . .
What kind? I'm trying to get a ASV with a mulching head. Looking at diffrent kinds of heads.
Posting pics is easy with a photobucket acct. least it is off the iPhone. Haven't tried off the computer.

It's a kershaw machine with a fecon head . It s 225 horse power . It's basically a skidder with the mulcher on the front . The pines have been cut for about 4 years . There is some brush . It's almost like mowing grass . I'll try to get a photo bucket account this evening and post some pictures . The mulcher doesn't do very good on the hard wood stumps . I'll have to take those out with the dozer .

Here is an old shot of a D7E, with a stick rake for clearing land. No powershift, and only lift and lower on the blade, but I could clear trees pretty good. :)

CT35.jpg

Douglas":1lsplxhk said:
You missed one :)

yep, it is not a gum tree,

Left those on the hill tops, and gullies, washouts etc too. Not too much soil there, kind of need to keep it in place.

Latest posts