Cattle Land 50 acres

Help Support CattleToday:

So I been looking up cattle on cattle range and I'm narrowing down my choices. Reg polled herf and angus cows. Or reg Brahman and Hereford but my biggest thing is which is best decision cause I am also thinking about having some steers which one is best for that and maybe selling some of the bull calf's if I don't steer them . I know I'm all over the place but I'm just trying to make the right decision.

Bfields30":lq704ubp said:
So I been looking up cattle on cattle range and I'm narrowing down my choices. Reg polled herf and angus cows. Or reg Brahman and Hereford but my biggest thing is which is best decision cause I am also thinking about having some steers which one is best for that and maybe selling some of the bull calf's if I don't steer them . I know I'm all over the place but I'm just trying to make the right decision.
v
Ask yourself, why would anyone buy a bull from me? Band or cut everything, if you want to try and sell something to the public, sell heifers.

True Grit Farms":3e26hzhj said:
Ask yourself, why would anyone buy a bull from me? Band or cut everything, if you want to try and sell something to the public, sell heifers.

Yup. We've been at it for 6 years now and until this fall, steered every bull we got. This fall we finally felt comfortable enough (and had 2 generations of great AI sires, and a good maternal line) that we left one uncut. A guy really liked him and took him home a few weeks ago.

Also to the poster: questioning why you would want to buy a bull to cover only 4 mamas? Sounds like a very expensive way to go (and risk the bull getting bored and ornery). Bet you could get a cheaper, easier breeding option by sending your girls out to a neighbors for 45 days (or whatever); or renting a bull. Or possibly better genetics through artificial insemination (once you have a way to catch them). :2cents:

boondocks":1fg42sa1 said:
True Grit Farms":1fg42sa1 said:

Yup. We've been at it for 6 years now and until this fall, steered every bull we got. This fall we finally felt comfortable enough (and had 2 generations of great AI sires, and a good maternal line) that we left one uncut. A guy really liked him and took him home a few weeks ago.

Also to the poster: questioning why you would want to buy a bull to cover only 4 mamas? Sounds like a very expensive way to go (and risk the bull getting bored and ornery). Bet you could get a cheaper, easier breeding option by sending your girls out to a neighbors for 45 days (or whatever); or renting a bull. Or possibly better genetics through artificial insemination (once you have a way to catch them). :2cents:
understandable

Bfields30":i4knbo8m said:
Does anyone on here live in east tx close to winnsboro that maybe I could check out your cow calvd operation and the day to day just to learn some things..? If not it's fine
I'm between Quitman and Winnsboro, on 14. I'd be happy to show you around my setup

Bfields30":2vpsbivi said:
So how many cows should i have to have a bull ???

I think the easiest thing for you to do is to buy some Hereford heifers/cows and you can rent an Angus or Brangus bull for a month for about $250.

The Hereford X Angus will produce Black Baldies. The Hereford X Brangus will produce Super Baldies. The heifers from these crosses are very popular for breeding or for slaughter, as are the steers.

You might even be able to rent a Brahman bull to breed your Hereford cows and produce Braford calves. Or you can always breed a Hereford bull to the cows to get more Herefords.

Belzora":18a8lqk0 said:
Bfields30":18a8lqk0 said:
Does anyone on here live in east tx close to winnsboro that maybe I could check out your cow calvd operation and the day to day just to learn some things..? If not it's fine
I'm between Quitman and Winnsboro, on 14. I'd be happy to show you around my setup
Will do I'll dm you got your number

Bullitt":2kp8gudz said:
Bfields30":2kp8gudz said:

I think the easiest thing for you to do is to buy some Hereford heifers/cows and you can rent an Angus or Brangus bull for a month for about $250.

The Hereford X Angus will produce Black Baldies. The Hereford X Brangus will produce Super Baldies. The heifers from these crosses are very popular for breeding or for slaughter, as are the steers.

You might even be able to rent a Brahman bull to breed your Hereford cows and produce Braford calves. Or you can always breed a Hereford bull to the cows to get more Herefords.
I found some angus 3n1 for 1800 around Commerce I was thinking of getting 2 or 3 of them calf's our couple months old as well ... feel like that I could build faster like that open for opinions though

Since I'm a beginner would it be bad to purchase heifers or even bred heifers ? Pros cons of them I seen people saying the problems having them giving birth . Or should just go with the cows bred and experienced having a calf already

Bfields30":34yvr9pr said:
Since I'm a beginner would it be bad to purchase heifers or even bred heifers ? Pros cons of them I seen people saying the problems having them giving birth . Or should just go with the cows bred and experienced having a calf already

There is less risk buying cows that have had at least one calf before. So all other things being equal, you are better off with young cows.

Bfields30":1p8a1rrd said:
Bred cows are usually cheaper and know what they are doing. You may not get as many years/calves out of them as a heifer, but you will probably have less headache getting started up.

Just be careful buying them from a barn. I'd be hard pressed to send a proven producer to the sale barn.

Buying out of a sale barn is absolutely taboo in my mind. BUT - different areas have much different offerings. You would be hard pressed to find a decent bred beef cow here unless the sale barn has been promoting a farm dispersal.
Edit: if you are new to raising cattle, a bred COW is better for you to start out with.

i agree with jeanne.

but if you are out west you can get a lot better cattle at the barns it seems.

Bfields30":tf8zymoa said:
Bullitt":tf8zymoa said:
Bfields30":tf8zymoa said:

I found some angus 3n1 for 1800 around Commerce I was thinking of getting 2 or 3 of them calf's our couple months old as well ... feel like that I could build faster like that open for opinions though

Do you need to build fast? Being new to cattle best I can tell, you may want to take your time and ease into a bit slower. Get your legs under you a bit. There are lots of "hands on" lessons ahead of you. Take your time and build slowly. The lessons learned are cheaper on a small scale, especially if you do not have a local mentor.

Bfields30":35slyv49 said:

As you I am a beginner. I picked up 45 acres close to my house and after researching my options I decided on Brangus. I bought 6 bred heifers, 5 bred 3 yr olds and 5 bred 4 yr olds all bred to Reg. Hereford bulls. I have people already wanting to buy the heifers, and a couple guys want to purchase bull calves. I went to the local FSA office and applied for their Micro Loan and got it, took less than a month. The loan rate is 5-7 yrs @ 2.75%, if you interested in financing.

Good luck,

KMM

K&S Cattle":3elb47gl said:
Bfields30":3elb47gl said:

As you I am a beginner. I picked up 45 acres close to my house and after researching my options I decided on Brangus. I bought 6 bred heifers, 5 bred 3 yr olds and 5 bred 4 yr olds all bred to Reg. Hereford bulls. I have people already wanting to buy the heifers, and a couple guys want to purchase bull calves. I went to the local FSA office and applied for their Micro Loan and got it, took less than a month. The loan rate is 5-7 yrs @ 2.75%, if you interested in financing.

Good luck,

KMM
can direct message you I kinda have some questions for you if you don't mind.