Cattle Land 50 acres

Help Support CattleToday:

Bfields30

Reaction score
So i have 50 acres to start off with from my fiances grandmother going to let me put cows on whenever i decide to purchase them my only concern is they I dont have catch pens or a corral. I wont be at this place forever so what type of corral should i build or should get a movable one. Also as well how many cattle should i start off with on the place I was think 3-4 bred mommas or get pairs in march or april of this yr. The 50 acres is like 10-15 up close to my house and on the side of it and the rest are behind my house theres 4 gates that I could control them being in grazing wise if I needed to. Theres a stream that runs through the land that stays flowing through summer and winter and spring time. My thoughts were buying two water troughs and just run the hose to them since the closest pasture is maybe 20 yards from it. Looking forward to getting into cattle as a hobby for now and in a few yrs get bigger. Any advice will help and let me know if I am missing anything that they will need. Lastly on 3-4 cows plus babies what would yrly expenses be on a avg if you had to estimate.

6 or 8 12 foot panels is all you need to deal with that amount of space.

Brahmas, long horns and odd coloured sims seem to be well liked around here, so maybe those? Or a combo of them.

I built a "temporary" catch pen at a long term rental place to load cows out. It is 7' T-posts with 6 or 7 strands of barb wire on 3 sides and a wood fence built from 2 x 10's and RR ties on the 4th. I haul over some panels and line up along the wood fence. I've been using it for 10 years now with no problems, but still get a little nervous every year just waiting for a cow to try going over or through the wire fence.

Check with Hootens Hardware in Emory Tx. They have some pretty decent panels at good prices. They have a website you can check out.

Make sure you have a good chute. At some point you are going to need to work those cattle and it is tough without a chute.

SchenkAngusFarm":19h7rars said:
Make sure you have a good chute. At some point you are going to need to work those cattle and it is tough without a chute.
can you throw out any suggestions of brands ?

So far, you've spent the first 38 years of "profit" on 4 cows. :D If this is just for fun, and money isn't any issue, go for all the fancy business. If not, it's pretty easy to build a catch pen and a head gate that'll suit your needs just fine.

Bfields30":26tjln7m said:
So i have 50 acres to start off with from my fiances grandmother going to let me put cows on whenever i decide to purchase them my only concern is they I dont have catch pens or a corral. I wont be at this place forever so what type of corral should i build or should get a movable one. Also as well how many cattle should i start off with on the place I was think 3-4 bred mommas or get pairs in march or april of this yr. The 50 acres is like 10-15 up close to my house and on the side of it and the rest are behind my house theres 4 gates that I could control them being in grazing wise if I needed to. Theres a stream that runs through the land that stays flowing through summer and winter and spring time. My thoughts were buying two water troughs and just run the hose to them since the closest pasture is maybe 20 yards from it. Looking forward to getting into cattle as a hobby for now and in a few yrs get bigger. Any advice will help and let me know if I am missing anything that they will need. Lastly on 3-4 cows plus babies what would yrly expenses be on a avg if you had to estimate.

I suggest you look on Craigslist for used cattle panels that you can build a pen with. When you move, you take the cattle panels with you. You may also find a used headgate for sale. But if you are just working a few calves, two people and some rope works fine. Calves are easier to handle when they are small, of course.

Do you plan to bale hay or purchase hay to feed the cattle in the winter? It makes a difference on how many acres of available pasture you have for cattle grazing.

Can you buy as many cattle as you like, or are you on a budget?

SchenkAngusFarm":i12wtfot said:

+1

Sooner or later your going to have to doctor or vaccinate.
Doesn't matter if you have 5 or 100 you still need a good chute and headgate.

Craig is correct. Go visit the priefert plant where they have their scratch and dent stuff. I would get a couple of their heavier panels and bolt on a head gate. You can also use this for your load out. Is there not a pond on the place or can they not drink from the stream. Cows drink quite a bit in the summer so unless your on a well, it can add up.

I agree, use corral panels but use T-posts at each junction of the panels. A chain with double ended dog snaps to secure the panels to the posts. That way the cows won;t be able to move them around. It will also give you flexibility to rearrange them to better suite your needs after you've used them a time or two.

bird dog":3r82oitr said:
Craig is correct. Go visit the priefert plant where they have their scratch and dent stuff. I would get a couple of their heavier panels and bolt on a head gate. You can also use this for your load out. Is there not a pond on the place or can they not drink from the stream. Cows drink quite a bit in the summer so unless your on a well, it can add up.
its a small pond and it's a nice size river that goes through the place on the back 25 acres

Bullitt":2wx3x9hh said:
Bfields30":2wx3x9hh said:

I suggest you look on Craigslist for used cattle panels that you can build a pen with. When you move, you take the cattle panels with you. You may also find a used headgate for sale. But if you are just working a few calves, two people and some rope works fine. Calves are easier to handle when they are small, of course.

Do you plan to bale hay or purchase hay to feed the cattle in the winter? It makes a difference on how many acres of available pasture you have for cattle grazing.

purchase hay probably, 50 acres for grazing all good grass how much feed a day would I have to feed for or 4 cows.

Farm Fence Solutions":1elp7urq said:
So far, you've spent the first 38 years of "profit" on 4 cows. :D If this is just for fun, and money isn't any issue, go for all the fancy business. If not, it's pretty easy to build a catch pen and a head gate that'll suit your needs just fine.

I'm only 23 I want to get started now on a small scale just to feel things out and just add as I get older you know.

Bullitt":2308mtxn said:
Bfields30":2308mtxn said:

I don't want to get more then 5 cows preferably bred trying to get some for 10k or lower.

Latest posts