Cattle Land 50 acres

Help Support CattleToday:

BC on these boards lives near Canton. He spends a lot of time at different sale barns in east Texas. You might want to send him a PM.
Feel free to send me one too with your information if you can't get in touch with him. I will be seeing him this weekend.

Bfields30":1dvw78hh said:
SchenkAngusFarm":1dvw78hh said:
Make sure you have a good chute. At some point you are going to need to work those cattle and it is tough without a chute.
can you throw out any suggestions of brands ?

I think it all depends on your budget and goals.

If you are going to just do it as a hobby, I would suggest just getting a manual chute through a used auction. There are all kinds of websites that sell that stuff.

If you are going to start running a bunch and expanding, you many want a hydraulic chute.

There are also different sizes depending on what kind of frame cow you are running.

I'd be glad to answer any questions you may have depending on those factors.

Choosing a bull should I go registered I know want either a brangus or Brahman but also do I need to go registered or not? Cause just being on different things on fb cattle chats they say your bull is what makes your herd?. And also what age should I be looking at?

Bfields30":3lxhk7cu said:
Choosing a bull should I go registered I know want either a brangus or Brahman but also do I need to go registered or not? Cause just being on different things on fb cattle chats they say your bull is what makes your herd?. And also what age should I be looking at?

I think the breed of bull depends on the breed of cattle you want to breed him to.

If you have Heefords, the Brahman bull would work well to produce Brafords. If you have Angus, the Brangus bull would work well.

I think it is a good idea to buy a registered bull if you can so you know what you are getting. Yes, having a quality bull will improve your herd. I think a young bull is good if you want to keep the bull for a long time. A young bull is also good for breeding young heifers because the bull is lighter. A bull is ready to breed well at about 15 months old. He certainly will be able to breed your small number of cows you have planned.

Here is a young registered Brangus bull for $1,000. It states, "Dam was the 2016 Grand Champion Bred and Owned Heifer at the Texas Junior Brangus Breeders Association State Show."
https://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/grd/d ... 54987.html

You need to understand that there is a Brangus breed of cattle. There is also an Angus X Brahman that people call Brangus. It is not the same thing. A cross does not breed true. A breed of cattle will breed true.

Here is a registered polled red Brahman bull that is about two years old in Winnsboro. The asking price is $2,000.
https://easttexas.craigslist.org/grd/d/ ... 46261.html

But, again, you can rent a good bull for about $250 a month. This might be a less expensive option.

Bullitt":2gaxpeql said:
Bfields30":2gaxpeql said:

I think the breed of bull depends on the breed of cattle you want to breed him to.

If you have Heefords, the Brahman bull would work well to produce Brafords. If you have Angus, the Brangus bull would work well.

I think it is a good idea to buy a registered bull if you can so you know what you are getting. Yes, having a quality bull will improve your herd. I think a young bull is good if you want to keep the bull for a long time. A young bull is also good for breeding young heifers because the bull is lighter. A bull is ready to breed well at about 15 months old. He certainly will be able to breed your small number of cows you have planned.

Here is a young registered Brangus bull for $1,000. It states, "Dam was the 2016 Grand Champion Bred and Owned Heifer at the Texas Junior Brangus Breeders Association State Show."
https://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/grd/d ... 54987.html

You need to understand that there is a Brangus breed of cattle. There is also an Angus X Brahman that people call Brangus. It is not the same thing. A cross does not breed true. A breed of cattle will breed true.

Here is a registered polled red Brahman bull that is about two years old in Winnsboro. The asking price is $2,000.
https://easttexas.craigslist.org/grd/d/ ... 46261.html

But, again, you can rent a good bull for about $250 a month. This might be a less expensive option.[/quote so I'm thinkibg brangus bull getting two Herefords bred two Bradford's bred one brangus bred .

Bfields30":2mokiki9 said:
so I'm thinkibg brangus bull getting two Herefords bred two Bradford's bred one brangus bred .

Did you get a chance to go look at any cattle in your area?

Bullitt":1a2k48m4 said:
Bfields30":1a2k48m4 said:
so I'm thinkibg brangus bull getting two Herefords bred two Bradford's bred one brangus bred .

Not yet I'm a coach so I been busy I'm going to to go look at some probably Sunday the ones in Commerce I'm in no rush to buy as long as I can buy buy may is my latest buy date

Bfields30":1geqqkxf said:
Bullitt":1geqqkxf said:
Bfields30":1geqqkxf said:

Not yet I'm a coach so I been busy I'm going to to go look at some probably Sunday the ones in Commerce I'm in no rush to buy as long as I can buy buy may is my latest buy date
cause I also want to go sit in on some sale barn sales just to look at some cattle and get diff advice

Farm Fence Solutions":3hiy9eli said:
So far, you've spent the first 38 years of "profit" on 4 cows. :D If this is just for fun, and money isn't any issue, go for all the fancy business. If not, it's pretty easy to build a catch pen and a head gate that'll suit your needs just fine.

I agree with you on not needing a expensive chute...but you know you coulda built that out off pipe for the same money. It would be stronger, longer lasting and resistant to fire and insects......... :mrgreen:

callmefence":2ijqb8ts said:
Farm Fence Solutions":2ijqb8ts said:
So far, you've spent the first 38 years of "profit" on 4 cows. :D If this is just for fun, and money isn't any issue, go for all the fancy business. If not, it's pretty easy to build a catch pen and a head gate that'll suit your needs just fine.

I agree with you on not needing a expensive chute...but you know you coulda built that out off pipe for the same money. It would be stronger, longer lasting and resistant to fire and insects......... :mrgreen:

I'll say it again.....You really need to venture more than a hundred miles from the house sometime. It ain't all cheap pipe and dry climate out there. :lol:

Farm Fence Solutions":237nl0gy said:
callmefence":237nl0gy said:
Farm Fence Solutions":237nl0gy said:

I'll say it again.....You really need to venture more than a hundred miles from the house sometime. It ain't all cheap pipe and dry climate out there. :lol:

https://youtu.be/emACEJzEUDo

Bfields30":6t8e7htw said:
What's a good sale barn near winnsboro I know winnsboro has one as well as sulphur spring and Emory ???
Here are the ones in your area:

Monday - Sulphur Springs Livestock
Tuesday - Emory Livestock Auction or Stone Livestock in Mt Pleasant
Wednesday - Paris Livestock
Thursday - Longview
Friday - Winnsboro
Saturday - Van Zandt Commission at Wills Point, Emory Livestock, Cattleman's Livestock in Paris

BC":3ebl3x11 said:
Bfields30":3ebl3x11 said:
What's a good sale barn near winnsboro I know winnsboro has one as well as sulphur spring and Emory ???
Here are the ones in your area:

Monday - Sulphur Springs Livestock
Tuesday - Emory Livestock Auction or Stone Livestock in Mt Pleasant
Wednesday - Paris Livestock
Thursday - Longview
Friday - Winnsboro
Saturday - Van Zandt Commission at Wills Point, Emory Livestock, Cattleman's Livestock in Paris
what time does the winnsboro one start ?

Bfields30":2uzwb8ow said:
Any pros or cons of buying sale barn cattle ?

look for herd dispersals. or buy 700 - 800 lb heifers and bred them.

most cows .. bred .. cow / calves.. are in there for a reason.. and its not because they are good.

ddd75":ot9da0yn said:
Bfields30":ot9da0yn said:
Any pros or cons of buying sale barn cattle ?

look for herd dispersals. or buy 700 - 800 lb heifers and bred them.

most cows .. bred .. cow / calves.. are in there for a reason.. and its not because they are good.
People sell really good cattle at auction barns every day for no other reason than they have a great opportunity to take profit. Done it hundreds of times with great cattle. Those with problems are usually pretty obvious and buying at a good barn the auctioneer will usually point out many of them to you. Don't be afraid of sale barn cattle. It's the one place you have a true market and truly receive or pay what they're worth.

Small herd sell out of about 35 cows Saturday at Van Zandt Commission near Wills Point. Talked to owner of the cows, it was a lease place and land sold for a subdivision. Not every cow sold at a sale barn is a cull. Here in East Texas, people swap cows just for something to do or to pay an unexpected bills. I used to have a business card that said I was a used cow dealer.

Latest posts