Best implement to clean up cleared land ?

Help Support CattleToday:

I used a grapple on my tractor and piled as much as I could up on the stumps and burned the piles. Then I just spread bahia grass seed and disced and drug it in. I built a 5' single offset plow out of a fire break plow, and then pulled a 250 gal 5' chopper behind that. After 5 years I shank plowed the pastures and picked up a few stumps and roots. Now I bale hay off of those fields. Jogeephus told me the secret, don't get in a hurry, cows can eat around stumps.

Stocker Steve":3hocqj12 said:
A strong wife. But, most can only clear 4 to 5 acres per year.

You're a brave man.

Minnesota is a big state and Menards carries an ample and varied supply of shovels.

Sue would do better if there were not so many rocks. There is a reason that the pioneers did not clear some of the hill sides left by glaciers.

Early in the last century Indian families were the cheapest way to clear off second growth bush. They would camp on site - - hand cutting, piling, and burning all winter. A large family could clear 160 acres in a winter.

A good chisel plow works well.. don't have too many teeth on it.. I have 5 over a 7 foot wide toolbar which is about right.

Time is your friend.. get it good enough now to seed without being too fussy, wait a couple years and do the final bit.. As TG said, cows can work around it!

Latest posts