clearing land

Help Support CattleToday:

momt5

Reaction score
As we are searching for the best way to begin, I have another question.

Most of the land that we are finding is almost one to two thousand per acre higher with any grazing fields. I have seen some great land, but it would have to be cleared and pastures begun before we could begin cattle. We are estimating about 2 years worth of work if we go this route but we could afford more land. It appears that the land would have more value in the long term (basically for our kids inheritance).

As anxious as we are to begin we are wondering if this would be a wiser choice. Scott is currently self-employed so when we begin is up to us.

I would love to hear from those of you who have cleared land etc. I did some reading and it looks like a lot of work but doable. We talked with someone who use to clear land for a living and he said we would need a D9 which is a 20K piece of equipment if we wanted to do it ourselves.

What is your opinion on clearing land vs. purchasing land with grazing fields already:

Thanks,
MomT5

Depends on the size of the machine and what you are trying to clear. My neighbor runs a D8 and can do 1.5 acres an hour in small trees/scrub brush. On a 10 hour day, he burns about 125 gallons of fuel. Now in his rush to do his clearing, he does tend to get too much dirt in his piles. If you do find and buy a machine, I will advocate for the one that also has a root rake attached - can be worth it's weight in gold.

As far as price, bush land can pay if you can buy it, clear it and seed it for cheaper than the land with existing grazing fields. So I would be looking for $400-500 less per acre for the bush land.

I have some land that I'm clearing . A 80s mOdel d 8 is in the 35 to 45 k dollar range . I started off by having my place logged . That payed for the equipment to clear . It's gonna run you around 300 an acre to clear it your self . Up to 1500 a acre to pay some one to clear it . Then you have to disc and level . Then lime and seed and fertilizer . Not to mention a few years of unproductive land . If you buy pasture now you can start making money with the land much sooner . In the end not counting unproductive years you will have as much or more tied up in the land if you buy timber .

I would second Aaron on the use of a root rake, too many make a mess with a blade.

Depends on the brush level you have to clear as well, brush is easier than timber. You could look at doing some each year, if you start with some bush, some pasture.

I got a caterpiller loader and prefer it to a dozer. The front teeth work for a rake. It is indeed a $20K piece of equipment and worth every penny.

The loader seems to result in less dirt in the brush piles for me.

JSCATTLE":1y4k5cv1 said:
I have some land that I'm clearing . A 80s mOdel d 8 is in the 35 to 45 k dollar range . I started off by having my place logged . That payed for the equipment to clear . It's gonna run you around 300 an acre to clear it your self . Up to 1500 a acre to pay some one to clear it . Then you have to disc and level . Then lime and seed and fertilizer . Not to mention a few years of unproductive land . If you buy pasture now you can start making money with the land much sooner . In the end not counting unproductive years you will have as much or more tied up in the land if you buy timber .

I cleared most of the big stuff with a D-6 pushed over and burned came back with a root rake for a tractor.
Used D-9 and a shear blade fro the really big stuff.
Took out all the root ball's yaupon's and small stuff the dozer pushed over.
Mar0602.jpg

I would advise against the clearing of new land, especially for a rookie. It will be along time before you can put the land in production. Owning the dozer would probably be a headache beyond what you would be prepared for. A used dozer would be the gift that keeps on giving.

Like to say that today you can't run a d8 for 300.00 a day. Fuel alone would cost you more than that. Cost you 20K to replace a final drive. 30K for a complete undercarraige.

You can clear more than one acre a day with a d 8. It cost about 400 dollars for 2 days worth of fuel I'm clearing about 3 acres a day right now .

you would be cheaper to buy land that needs clearing an then hire a D8 or D9 dozer for 3 or 4 days an get the fence rows cleared.an build your fences,an clear some pasture.around here they charge $125 to $150 hr for a D8 or D9 dozer.that would be $1000 to $1200 a day.

depends on whether it is small brush or actual timber. if it is timber you can get someone to pay you to clear cut it. if it is brushy stuff or thorn trees you can girdle & spray to kill & grass will grow if there is any there to begin with. if not you can broadcast some on. stumps will disapeqr in a few years

I wish I could find some one to bring a d 9 out for 150 a hour . All of them I talked to want a 500 dollar set up fee and 200 a acre just to shear it . Then you have to pile the stumps root rake level etc. them problem is most of the big dozers are kept busy by the timber company's in our area do they want to charge the same rates .

Red Bull Breeder":op7ozfrg said:
Like to say that today you can't run a d8 for 300.00 a day. Fuel alone would cost you more than that. Cost you 20K to replace a final drive. 30K for a complete undercarraige.

It's going to be somewhere between 1000-1500 a day, depending on what you pay yourself and what you sock away for repairs. Neighbor just replaced the head on his D8 and the cost was 5K. His opinion is that the cost of a motor rebuild or undercarriage is worth more than the price of these old machines. Sell it for scrap and go buy another one. :cowboy:

Jogeephus":10gxk0hy said:
It would help to know where you are what you are clearing.

Yes, it would help to know if your timber is marketable.
My land was all in marketable pine saw logs and hardwood tie logs. I selected the areas that would/could be good pasture areas (no real steep hillsides, or creek bottoms), and sold the timber in those areas. The timber more than paid the expense of hiring a dozer to push stumps, drag roots, smooth it up. But...... I've been working on my place since 1996. I've been growing in to it slower than it sounds like you want to do.
I don't know what timber prices are now. I know they are lower than 12 years ago, but you might be surprised at the value. My land had over $1,500 per acre in timber (and that was 3 times what I paid for the land; we are in the boonies). That was when saw logs were bringing $47/ton. Check it out. Get several quotes on the timber
If you have a couple years, preferrably a few years, it could be worth it, and you can clear the land like you want to. If you can't wait that long, buy land that already has good established grass. Get a soil sample and someone experienced to read it and look at the grass

Caustic Burno":2riv4mbp said:
JSCATTLE":2riv4mbp said:

I cleared most of the big stuff with a D-6 pushed over and burned came back with a root rake for a tractor.
Mar0602.jpg

CB is that a piece of plate metal on the back?

A track hoe with a thumb is your best bet. It can dig the stumps and then build high, mostly dirt-free piles and it can keep it stirred up and piled up as it burns. Don't even to try to burn it if it's still fresh and green because it's much harder to burn than if it's has time to dry.

Clearing, grubbing, smoothing and grassing is a big job. 5 years into it you will still be trying to get it all cleaned up.

circlew":29hdel5o said:
Caustic Burno":29hdel5o said:
JSCATTLE":29hdel5o said:

Mar0602.jpg

That is the neatest tool I have. You can push up piles of brush for burning. If the tractor can run over it it will pull it up.
It level's as you go . Seed new ground and drag it and it act's as a harrow covering the seed. Levels and spread's cow piles. Back up to a thicket and drop the root rake and it is coming out. That root rake wasn't my idea it was one that was copied. That old rake has cleared about 600 acres after the loggers and dozer's left. Everyone in our little community has used it. One neighbor just had to have his own and I built him one.