Clean air and more horsepower

Help Support CattleToday:

baleflipper

Reaction score
I read where one of the major tractor manufacturers is putting a tank on tractors for Urea? They induct this into intake to make cleaner burning of the diesel fuel.
Power plants are being fined for Nox emmisions,Nox is nitrous oxide. Isnt Urea a Nitrogen fertilizer?
Back in the 70s a few of us put propane tanks on our diesel tractors and inducted a small amount into intake. It made a big difference in the horsepower and burned cleaner.

just a thought.

Urea is a nitrogen replacement they are putting the urea tanks on the new diesel trucks now. when I bought my truck I was going to get a cab chassis. But its considered commercial . they have the tanks . I hear next year all diesel trucks will be required to have it .

The urea is not being injected in the motor for combustion. It is being used to clean the exhaust. I believe this is what they do with the power plants. It is also an increase use of nitrogen causing nitrogen prices to increase. I do not know the full technical breakdown of how this works, but it is part of the Tier IV emission requirements.

Nox reduction in power plants is done by simply controling temp of exhaust .Gets too hot they spray water into exhaust.
newer plants are installing scrubbers to gather nox and carbon dioxide. In Texas there are power plants that sell the combustinn gas by products to welding gas producing companys.
I worked on Nox reduction study several years ago. we put infared scanners on fire boxes and gas detection instrumentation.
Things we studied 20 yrs ago are starting to be used.Took long enough.
Nox mixed with water makes a weak nitrogen fertilizer.So Called acid rain.

LaneFarms":3q81iaw8 said:
JScattle, the urea is already on this years ford diesels from the F-250 on up.
Sorry I should have said dodge. I haven't been on a Ford lot since 2006 . I think I remember someone telling me dodge had met the emissions standard until 2012.

Case-IH is also using urea on their larger tractors. Last I had read, Deere is not going to use urea they are going with cooled EGR, variable vane turbos and a DPF at for the 2011 year.

Latest posts