CIDRinsertion/syn breeding

Help Support CattleToday:

Farminlund

Reaction score
I have AI'd for many years, so inserting a CIDR seemed like a piece of cake. Not so for me. I found that the CIDR would stay in the gun dispite efforts to dislodge it & leave where I had initially pushed the plunger.

I wiggled the gun, held the "string" but more often found than not the CIDR finally exited the gun about 3" inside the virgina. Although I had pushed the ejection plunger when it was 6-9" inches in. I retried on numerous occassions but did not have different resuults.

This is my first time & what a disappointment - I felt that it went poorly with the CIDR not positioned as it should be - up against the cervix.

I also did one heifer & there was significant blood as well as the above issue of position. I just gave up as the CIDR was inside her & well it seemed given the equipment I had, that's as good as it was going to get.

Why would the gun not complete eject the CDIR? When you use a balling gun it deposites the pill completely. I know that the "wings" are suppposed to hold it in place but that did not happen routinely on my cattle. Why should I not modify the gun to completely discharge the CIDR when I insert it?

Is the near the outside placement going to work? Seems as if they are going to pee on it as it does not appear to past the blader.

Frustrated in VA - not sure if I have wasted much time & effort.

the blood is a warning flag for me and havent seen much of that. someone smarter than me might be able to tell you why.

patience is the key.

when you get a CIDR loaded, make sure is plenty of lube on it. we like to make sure the string is hanging down from the injector. when you go in, angle it up, over the hump and go in easy until it stops.

we you are in, push the ejector without pulling back out very much and slowly ease back an inch or 2. if you are moving back and the string sicoming with the injector, you didnt get it ejected. just think about what's happening; the 2 ears are going to spring out and then tryto find a flange of sorts to hold onto. if you wiggle it around a little, it will have a better chance of catching. usually, if you can see the tip of the CIDR, you didnt get it in so just pull it out and try again.

go slow and be patient. one other thing to watch for is a dropped CIDR. try to check the cows for their blue string every day (or twice/day). if it's missing, just put another one back in and pretend nothing happened (unless you went a full day or so without it).

make sure you are using an injector made for those particular CIDRs (hopefully with the same name on them). also make sure the cylinder part of the CIDR slides in and out of the injector reasonably well. there's no reason you cant check the injector outside of the cow to see what adjustments to your technique might be necessary.

there isnt a reason you cant modify the gun. it's much easier to manufacture with the length that it comes. i imagine this is one of those where it would be better to make it like you say, but mfg costs defeated effectiveness concerns. (complete speculation)

have fun and good luck. :)

Sounds like the heifer/cow may have been straining/pushing back at you while trying to get the CIDR in correct position. Some cattle also have shorter canals than others.

Like Aero said, when you feel that you are up to the cervex and ready to insert the CIDR, squeeze the handle to get it pushed out and slightly turn the gun to make sure it comes all the eay out. Also use plenty of lube.

Sorry it didn't work out so well, but don't give up. The CIDR's are a great tool.

Latest posts