CIDR - Cut tail too short?

Help Support CattleToday:

UncleLA

Reaction score
Two CIDR questions:

(1) Yesterday I inserted a CIDR into a heifer. I cut the tail on the CIDR to about 2-3". When I went back a few minutes later, I could not see the tail at all. I'm pretty certain she did not loose the CIDR.
How difficult is it going to be to remove the CIDR next weekend?

(2) After pressing the plunger on the CIDR gun, it always seems like the CIDR won't come out of the gun, and when I try to remove the gun, the CIDR pulls out as well? Is the CIDR more or less effective depending on how far the CIDR is inside the reproductive tract?

As always, thanks in advance for your thoughts.
UnclaLA

Why would you cut the tail on a CIDR any way? I was taught to put the CIDR as far as it would go. I have never had any trouble getting a CIDR to stay in place. The only way the CIDR could come back out with the gun is if you are not pushing the plunger far enough to let the the CIDR spread out. The only way i no to get the cidr out of the cow is glove up and go in and get it. I was taught that you could get two uses out of a cidr some people will proably object to that but when you pull the cidr tie a knot in the string so you no it has been used once all ready. put in a bucket clean them up use them agin.

If you can't get to the tail glove up and go get it. If you're going to use them twice you need to be sure and dissenfect them very well. That is a good way to transmit diseases.

UncleLA":3hj9obbr said:
Two CIDR questions:

(1) Yesterday I inserted a CIDR into a heifer. I cut the tail on the CIDR to about 2-3". When I went back a few minutes later, I could not see the tail at all. I'm pretty certain she did not loose the CIDR.

(2) After pressing the plunger on the CIDR gun, it always seems like the CIDR won't come out of the gun, and when I try to remove the gun, the CIDR pulls out as well? Is the CIDR more or less effective depending on how far the CIDR is inside the reproductive tract?

UnclaLA

I was taught to cut the tail so only 2-3" was sticking out of the cow. Supposedly decreaces the chances of another cow licking the other and pulling the CIDR out. I have used CIDRs the past two years, this will be three. I have only had 1 CIDR come out of about 70 head. I have had this happen to, where you can't see the tail and think it is gone. But it is there. At least more than likely.

As far as removing, they always seem to come out pretty easy. If you can't see the tail of the CIDR, an exam glove is all you need and just reach in there and pull it out. I have never had a problem pulling one out.

The effectiveness of the CIDR should not matter as to how far inside the cow it is. If you are having trouble with it staying in the gun, you might try lining you CIDR gun with some OB lube. That makes it slick and one quick push from the gun and it slides right out.

funky 4-Her":2jd6htni said:
What is a CIDR??? :???:

A CIDR is an implant placed in the vagina of a cow/heifer. When released from the CIDR "gun", it is released into a "T" position. Thus, the CIDR will not fall out of the cow. The CIDR is laced with progesterone, and is used for many heat synchronization protocols.

Most research results using CIDRs have a higher %pregnancy over other synchronization systems. It is not fed obviously, so you don't have to worry about over or under comsumption like you do with MGA. It has also been shown to inititate estrus in non-cycling cows.

UncleLA":1x6qwgrw said:
Two CIDR questions:

UnclaLA

It's not going any where, forget it if you are sure it's there. I went through a AI class 2 years ago and the instructer said to cut it to 2 or 3 inches so claves or a cow doesn't pull it out. If the tail is gone don't worry it's most likely there and when you go to pull it, it will pull easy. But do not put extra stress on the cow or she may not settle.

Alan

Red Bull Breeder":32h8mwx8 said:
Why would you cut the tail on a CIDR any way? I was taught to put the CIDR as far as it would go. I have never had any trouble getting a CIDR to stay in place. The only way the CIDR could come back out with the gun is if you are not pushing the plunger far enough to let the the CIDR spread out. The only way i no to get the cidr out of the cow is glove up and go in and get it. I was taught that you could get two uses out of a cidr some people will proably object to that but when you pull the cidr tie a knot in the string so you no it has been used once all ready. put in a bucket clean them up use them agin.

I have also had this problem. I push the plunger ALL THE WAY and they still don't come out. Maybe it is a tighter plunger. Maybe it is a fluke thing to get a faulty gun or something. I have to go in rectally and "hold" the cidr in order to keep it from coming back out. Been doing this for quite a while. It is a pain. Oh and we don't worry about cutting the tail short and haven't had a problem yet with them coming out with or without help.
Double R

Interesting,......never heard of trimming the tail. I always just put them in, never had one come out unless I pulled it. I can't quite see another cow pulling it out unless she actually grabs it with her teeth.......which is kind of a funny picture if you think about it. I also don't use CIDR's twice, they are designed for one use. Is it working? Is it not working? Am I spreading disease?? Maybe just me but, I don't take chances with them.

grubbie":3fgqdqyh said:
Interesting,......never heard of trimming the tail. I always just put them in, never had one come out unless I pulled it. I can't quite see another cow pulling it out unless she actually grabs it with her teeth.......which is kind of a funny picture if you think about it. I also don't use CIDR's twice, they are designed for one use. Is it working? Is it not working? Am I spreading disease?? Maybe just me but, I don't take chances with them.

I know plenty of other breeders that use the cidr's twice. They starilize them and then throw them in the dryer to heat them up and bring the remaining hormone to the serfice. As expensice as they are here I would like to use them twice. Any ideas on sterilization of the cidrs and if any of you do the dryer techniqe or others.
In school the teacher said there is no reason not to use them twice once sterilized. Don't know.
Double R

Please tell me they don't use the same dryer that they use to dry their clothes...... I don't know the over exposed effects of progesterone on humans but I would think it can't be too good.

Double R what do you use to sterlize your gun with between cows. Any good sterlizing solution scrub lightly air dry and seal them up in heavy duty zip lock bag. We don't trim the tail, and ty a knot in the tail to show it was used once.

Heifers will pull them out if the tails are left long-washing used cidr's isn't one of the best jobs on the ranch for sure. I've pulled literally thousands of cidr's over the years. The weirdest deal was when one outfit actually managed to get one inside a heifers uterus-it wasn't causing her any discomfort but when I gloved up and went fishing I could feel it in there. They didn't believe me where it was till the vet came out and verified it.

Angus In Texas":e5sdmzg8 said:
Please tell me they don't use the same dryer that they use to dry their clothes...... I don't know the over exposed effects of progesterone on humans but I would think it can't be too good.

They put them in bags first.
Double R

We have never cut the tails short and never had a problem. I'd never heard of doing that until now.

I would check that it is still in her - five minutes work to give you assurance that she will be synched. If you do this, I guess you can decide either to pull the tail out a bit, or just leave it and remove it when you do all the others.

A few years ago I was doing a lot of work on a big angus stud, and we would be putting in something like 700 CIDRs. It was standard practice on that property to use CIDRs three times. In between uses they were simply washed well in disinfectant. The effectiveness of the CIDR was not affected by being used three times. The herd is relatively closed so there was no risks of disease transfer. However, the few bought in animals got fresh CIDRs, and their used CIDRs were discarded until the animal was in the herd for two calvings.

As far as the CIDR gun not working real well . . . cant shed any light on the situation. Never had a problem with them.

I was able to easily remove the CIDR yesterday. I put a glove on and didn't have to reach that far in to grab the tail.

Thanks to everyone that posted a reply. This board is an extremely powerful tool for gathering information from experienced cattlemen and women!

UncleLA

Glad to hear it all worked out well for you...... I hope she came in like she was supposed to. That is one of the most frustrating things ever, cows that don't respond to the drugs.

Keren
The American CIDRs are not as "potent". When they first came here, they were Canadian made & they were designed to be used twice. The CIDR's now are "designed" to be used once with less drugs in them, although, many say they are still good a 2nd time.

Latest posts