No tail?

Help Support CattleToday:

uplandnut

Reaction score
Had a heifer calf born friday with no tail. Has a conformation issue with her bag legs as well, but totally stunned me that she didn't have a tail. This is the 5th calf out of this cow for me and all her other calves were fine. Anyone else ever have a calf without a tail?

Attachments

• 20220409_144901.jpg
    20220409_144901.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 26
  • 20220409_195107.jpg
    20220409_195107.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 26
Could you tell us more about your ration and mineral program, purchased or homegrown stock? Are you retaining heifers from the
same bull for successive generations. Without an accurate picture of your operation any response would be a lucky guess at best.
thank you

I've seen several. They do fine, and their offspring have tails. I suspect it's more often a developmental defect than genetic.

I had a bull calf/steer with a sideways tail. If I recall, he was around 750 lbs. when I sold him with the other calves, and he definitely got docked. Just make sure you're diligent about fly control on your heifer.

Attachments

• IMG_20190308_153356161.jpg
    IMG_20190308_153356161.jpg
    6.8 MB · Views: 16
We have cats with no tails and short tails. Neighbor down the road also does. That doesn't help you one bit.

The calf is doing fine currently. I believe this the 5th calf for that cow, 2nd calf crop out of the current bull. She was bought but has never had any issues like this out of this bull or the last. the calf follows mom around like nothing is wrong so hopefully she will grow just fine. Might be a keeper to have butchered instead of taking the dock at the sale barn?
My biggest concern on her was whether or not she might be more prone to a urinary tract infection, as it appears her lady parts are "tilted up". The thought was she my not get everything out every time? I'll just keep and eye on her and see what comes of it.

Had one that several years ago. Vet said it wasn't a generic defect, but a fetal positioning problem. I didn't need a freezer beef and didn't want to give her away at the sale barn. Retained her and she's just had her second calf. Both calves have had tails and no issues.

Latest posts