Gestation Length too short?

Help Support CattleToday:

Ebenezer, can you elaborate on this? I have gained quite a bit of insight over the years from your posts, so looking forward to your thoughts.
I had experience with some of the original curvebender AI offerings. They were true CE animals but the mature weights were up to or over 1800 pounds even with lesser EPDs and no emphasis on that trait. (Yes, WWs were great.) Our average cow here will generally max out at 1250. There is a historic assumption that BW is linked to growth and growth, of course, is linked to mature size. You can look at theoretical relationships of BW, YW... The thing I am discussing is the typical majority of a breed and not the few outliers of a breed. The curvebenders were great breeders of terminal cattle. What I do wonder is if the longer growth period decreased the feeding performance and marbling of the cattle when either time or weight dictated slaughter. I do not know that.

Back to the 1800 pounders: they did not quit growing as early as normal. We weigh cows most years. I think that there can be a link to skew the gestational length that also monkey's with the age of mature size and weight. In recent years, the Angus breed (at least) has chased low BW and I think the chase has been to an extreme. In the same time the mature size has increased so that research shows them to be one of the bigger breeds, on average. Again: an extreme. You can look up some specific curvebender/low BW& large MW/popular bulls and see that there is such a warp from the historic norm.

In the 70's and part of the 80's there was data given on gestational lengths for AI bulls but like atypical blood types that data is now obscure. l do not want stacked low BW. I have seen data that 2 generations stacked only set the period back an average of 2 to 3 days but you do not sell that: you sell weight after they grow. Too little BW can tell a lot to me from size, survival, vigor, growth, buyer acceptance (fine boned is one issue) and such. I had a well known breeder of "small" tell me that they come with less muscle but add it later. That is not a true statement as all long and short muscles are there from the phase of gestation where those are created or not. The "extra muscle" in the development of the calf is really extra fat. Back in the 80's at the end of the era (BHIA, I think was the acronym) where direct data was used widely and increasing weaning weights were a hard goal the top end heifers were the "keepers". They fell out sooner or could not replicate themselves and part of it was the pressure was selection for WW and the weight was sometimes merely more fat, including fat in their udders.

This is not a discussion set in stone as a smaller BW and lesser growth cattle are available. They generally mature early. The problem I have had with some of that is that the smaller cows will be easy keeping, add about 25 pounds of fat per year and hit menopause (I think it is fat/hormone induced) and not breed well at or around 10 YO. I expect a cow worth her salt to be here at 14 YO. I expect them to work and not be a problem. Lower inputs, cow fertility, acceptable growth and cow longevity are my go-to economics.

Take this as a rambling thought assortment. I am not a mainstream breeder and will not change the goals of the herds and management to hurt myself economically. I do not see cattle in the fashionable sense of the masses following herd prefixes. Things here are black or white. I do not need to pay other folks to be important and breed leaders. Take any thoughts away from me as coming from an oddball and you'll be fine! :D

It would be understandable to send 44 down the road, but if you're interested in conducting a little experiment, it might be fun to see if you can "correct" the problem by using the worst calving ease bull you can find. Don't call me if you end up having to pull the calf, though. ;)
An update on the 44 simmental cow who had very short gestation lengths and very small birth weights on her first two calves. Buck suggested an experiment to use a bull with very low calving ease EPD. I bred the cow to the angus bull MAR Innovation 251. His CE is -2 (bottom 5% of the breed) and BW epd is +3.3 (bottom 10% of the breed).
innovation.jpg
The heifer calf was born at 278 days gestation with a birth weight of 67#. 15# or so more birth weight than the previous two calves and 7+ days longer gestation. In theory, the heterosis in that simmental/angus mating should have driven the birth weight up a little as well as the sire selection. Cow's epd's are top 15% for CE and top 5% for BW. The cow's bull calf last year weaned at 750#. Will see how this heifer calf grows.

An update on the 44 simmental cow who had very short gestation lengths and very small birth weights on her first two calves. Buck suggested an experiment to use a bull with very low calving ease EPD. I bred the cow to the angus bull MAR Innovation 251. His CE is -2 (bottom 5% of the breed) and BW epd is +3.3 (bottom 10% of the breed).
View attachment 22794
The heifer calf was born at 278 days gestation with a birth weight of 67#. 15# or so more birth weight than the previous two calves and 7+ days longer gestation. In theory, the heterosis in that simmental/angus mating should have driven the birth weight up a little as well as the sire selection. Cow's epd's are top 15% for CE and top 5% for BW. The cow's bull calf last year weaned at 750#. Will see how this heifer calf grows.
Great update!
I'm glad ya kept that cow. Sometimes experimental stuff is FUN!

Ebenezer, please keep sending more comments along the line of your May post. Your thoughts are vital to this board.

I agree, that was a great post by Ebenezer. "Lower inputs, cow fertility, acceptable growth and cow longevity are my go-to economics." This is a great statement. Fertility and longevity trump everything. I have mature cows from 1400 to 1900#. As long as they breed on time and raise a money making calf for me, size doesn't really matter.
Now, in my case, a money making calf means producing seedstock quality animals. But, even my males/steers more than pay for upkeep on their dam.
This summer I shipped 4 head that were 15 & 16 years old because they were open. That was a boo-hoo moment, but they didn't owe me anything. Actually, the 16 yr old calved last fall with twin heifer replacements and raised them thru the winter. Not surprising she came up open. Getting ready to breed them.
On the subject on hand - birth weights. The COW is the biggest influence on the BW. Her genetics, nutrition and her environment. Yes, the bull is important, but the cow trumps his influence. IMHO

On the subject on hand - birth weights. The COW is the biggest influence on the BW. Her genetics, nutrition and her environment. Yes, the bull is important, but the cow trumps his influence. IMHO
I believe that strongly... Too many people forget that.

Yes, yes, and yes!

Regardless of which bull bred them, I have numerous lineages I know will always deliver a larger than "expected" calf. Including my former 40 lb preemie/orphan that couldn't even walk for 10 days. I always know to subtract at least 10 days, up to 2 weeks from the gestation calculator, and she'll still spit out a whopper.

Limited experience here.
But my heifers are usually lighter than bull calves.
I cant tell you about gestation periods because my bulls do the work and I'm hit or miss on actually seeing them breed.

My ol bwf mutt bull would throw heifer safe heifer calves. But my Gawd! Watch out if it was a bull calf. EVERY bull calf out of a heifer was trouble for the first time cow. Heifers calved unassisted for the most part when delivering a heifer calf.

Bet the gestational period played a small role in that.
The ration the cow receives the last 45 or so days of gestation can have a big influence on the weight of the calf.

LVR - this is very true - but - caution not to provide adequate nutrition. Some people have it in their head, if they provide lower nutrition during the 3rd trimester, the calf will be smaller making calving easier. Contrary to this believe - it actually causes MORE dystocia due to a weaker cow and weak calf syndrome. Too much PROTEIN the last trimester will increase calf weight - but, research showed you "might" increase BW by 10#, but the increased BW did not cause as much dystocia as reduced nutrition.

It was never an either/or consideration but one of moderation. Actually moving the calving period back to warmer weather
made it easier for reasons I don't have time to go into at the moment.

Latest posts