Gestation Length too short?

Help Support CattleToday:

MurraysMutts

Reaction score
44 and 45 are 3/4 sisters bred to the same AI bull on the same day for their first calves. 44 had a very small calf born 267 days later that never caught up. 45 had a normal calf born at 285 days and is the stout bull calf pictured at about 6 months old. A year later 44 has another early very small calf sired by a different AI bull. Two strikes for her. Both AI bulls have sired many calves - normal gestation and growth.
44 is looking to spread her wings and travel and has never been west of the Mississippi. Fully vaccinated. Looking to have a name and not just be a number. :)
Sound sto me like it just might be the cows problem.
But!
Wasnt both of her small calves heifers??
And the other was bulls?

My bwf mutt bull always threw small, heifer safe heifers! But bull calves always seemed to go longer and be much larger calves. I could almost tell it was gonna be a bull calf. The cow would spring and bag what seemed like forever b4 calving.

A control group of only 2 cows would be hard to make an informed decision. The bwf bull I described had 24 mamas at the time. 2 seasons.

Since you ai, I'd try a sexed semen for her next calf. Or perhaps a different bull?

Last edited:
OP
S

simme

Old Dumb Guy
Reaction score
I had to put post 1 and post 16 together.

Was 44 bred to the same sire for both calves or not?

And I just got what you were saying about her needing a name! 🤣😂🤣😂
She was bred to a different bull the second time with similar results. She is already packing her bags for the trip. Really, she does appear to have plenty of milk. You could stop in Georgia to pick up some of those high efficiency cows there to finish the load out. She might hit the jackpot next time with a different breed bull with some hybrid vigor. I hear that third time is the charm.
Might be able to throw in a bale of ragweed hay and an old chunky partial bag of milk replacer if you want to bargain. :)
I think that "Peanut" would be a good name for the calf.

MurraysMutts

Reaction score
Well, my lil Rosy just had hers. Shes a black jersey/angus mini as best I can tell.
Calf ain't 40lbs tho.
Mama was bred to my hereford and I was real afraid she couldnt handle it. I bought the cow for basically nothing last year. She raised a big ol fat black heifer.
This year shes got a cute lil baldy!
I'd guess 60lbs or so
Notice mamas bug eyes? And shes aboot 2 feet shorter than anything else here.

Trade ya pair for pair! But you'll have to deliver! This cow would probly take a second calf. Makes oodles and gobs of milk...
20210926_134045.jpg

Latest posts