Chevy 6.0 vs. Ford V-10 fuel mpg

Help Support CattleToday:

Nebraska Sandhills

Reaction score
Looking at a newer ranch truck--if I don't get a diesel I am wondering what is going to have the better fuel economy--the Chevy 6.0 or the Ford V-10? The Ford's 5.4 is not big enough for what I need.

Also, are the Duramax's all pretty dependable, or is there a year or two of the early one's to stay clear of? The Ford mechanic has warned me to stay clear of the Ford 6.0 diesel--just wondering about the Chevy's as I am usually more of a Ford man.

Thanks in advance.

Well we have or had both the trucks you described. Right not i have an 07 Gmc Sierra 2500 6.0 gas. Its a very good truck but terrible on gas mileage i think i get between 9-10 mpg. We have an 30 foot trailer we haul hay and tractors equipment and the truck is geared real low and is a dream to pull with. We also had a 2002 Ford f250 v10 and it was a real good truck put 100,000+ miles on it never any major problems. Strangely the Ford with the v10 got i think around 13-14 mpg. The ford is geared totally different than the gmc and reminds me alot of a diesel with high accerlation and also pulls really well with the v10.

Hope that helped ya. :)

SFF

Not for sure which engine my neighbor's Chevy has, but he has a couple 2wd crew cabs. They both are loaded about the same and each truck follows the other to the jobsite each day, he says the V10 is usually within a couple dollars of the Chevy at fillup.

I got a 5.4 in a 06 F350, gets about 10 towing, 12 running around here locally, and 14 on the highway.

The Duramax is a solid motor.

When the 6.0 came out in for GM Car and Driver put it up against Ford's V10. It beat it all around. They put the Ford on a trailer and the Chevy towed it down the drag strip faster than the Ford could pull the Chevy... and the Ford it alot heavier truck.

I know quite a few people who have the 6.0s and are very happy with them. MPGs depends on how you drive it, any where from 18-13. From what I have heard, V10s can't get close to that, but I don't know that first hand.

The short time we had our 6.0, it was a peice of junk. No power and horrible MPG.

My brother had a V10 for a short period of time. Said he sold it because it took too long to get anywhere he was going in it. Seems it had to stop for every gas pump it went by...

I had an 03 2500 with the 6.0 Gas. It got 12.5 MPG WITHOUT a trailer. I bought an '06 with the Duramax. I have run 60k on it without a hitch. Pulled some big trailers and she never flinched. The Allison trans is GREAT. The wife feels comfortable hauling our big trailer with it. With that said, I get 18.5 mpg without a load and I am GUESSING around 12-13 with a load.
I Will NEVER buy another gas powered truck for our primary hauling vehicle.

I had a 05 GMC with the 6.0 and 4.10 rearend and it pulled well, but only got about 10mpg empty and 6-8 towing. Last fall I got an 08 F250 with the V10 and 4.10 gears and it gets about 9 towing and 12-13 empty on the hwy. It has much more torque and pulls a lot better in my opinion. I think the Ford is a much heaveir better built truck for farm and ranch use.

texanstraders":3mlw3ye7 said:
I had an 03 2500 with the 6.0 Gas. It got 12.5 MPG WITHOUT a trailer. I bought an '06 with the Duramax. I have run 60k on it without a hitch. Pulled some big trailers and she never flinched. The Allison trans is GREAT. The wife feels comfortable hauling our big trailer with it. With that said, I get 18.5 mpg without a load and I am GUESSING around 12-13 with a load.
I Will NEVER buy another gas powered truck for our primary hauling vehicle.

I agree with the no gas powered vehicle for hauling. Just one question. How'd you do all that pulling of big trailers "without a hitch"?

This sound bite brought to you by the now out of work candidate consultants.

agcntry":3f5ja50v said:
I had a 05 GMC with the 6.0 and 4.10 rearend and it pulled well, but only got about 10mpg empty and 6-8 towing. Last fall I got an 08 F250 with the V10 and 4.10 gears and it gets about 9 towing and 12-13 empty on the hwy. It has much more torque and pulls a lot better in my opinion. I think the Ford is a much heaveir better built truck for farm and ranch use.

Approximately, those are my results with a V-10. It is an excellent gasoline engine. Ford has buried that engine when they should have been proud of it. I imagine diesels produce more profit.
I have owned a '74 360 Ford motor: 6 mpg at best and minimal power.
A 94 460 motor. 10 mpg at best. Torque by the bushel.
A 2000 V-10. 12 mpg average and more power than a sane person needs

Latest posts