Checking your blood glucose

Help Support CattleToday:

shaz

Reaction score
My wife is pre-diabetic and yesterday her fasting glucose was 137. We had just come off a 48hr fast.
Have any of you had any luck lowering your blood sugar levels and keeping it down?

If her fasting is 137 she is diabetic!
Only thing that lowered mine was glyburide and metformin along with diet.
My fasting now runs 90-95.
There is no finish line here!!
This is lifestyle change as well.

137 was a spike. Her normal is around 125 in the morning. She's already taking metformin but had not taken it that morning.

137 was a spike. Her normal is around 125 in the morning. She's already taking metformin but had not taken it that morning.
What's her A1C that's where the rubber meets the road.
Above 6 diabetic above 7 poorly controlled diabetic above 8 uncontrolled.
This is a good tool for estimating your A1C.
You can see my normal and when I started steroids for an arthritis flare.
I will have to titration up my medication while taking steroids. Oh boy more testing.
You can buy an A1c test as well there kinda pricey.

Attachments

• 40524D96-E4CF-43C5-9789-0EE7DC2B6298.png
    40524D96-E4CF-43C5-9789-0EE7DC2B6298.png
    231.4 KB · Views: 6
What's her A1C that's where the rubber meets the road.
Above 6 diabetic above 7 poorly controlled diabetic above 8 uncontrolled.
This is a good tool for estimating your A1C.
You can see my normal and when I started steroids for an arthritis flare.
I will have to titration up my medication while taking steroids. Oh boy more testing.
You can buy an A1c test as well there kinda pricey.
We have our blood work for insurance next week. Should get the test results in 3 weeks or so. I'm just now learning about this stuff.

Have you changed your diet?

We have our blood work for insurance next week. Should get the test results in 3 weeks or so. I'm just now learning about this stuff.

Have you changed your diet?
Not a lot more about portion control. I eat one biscuit and not five with breakfast and so on, I have a cup of Blue Belle not a washtub.

My nemesis high fructose corn syrup, or any corn product.
It's amazing the products that have it from breads to green beans. Products will be labeled sugar free

Careful with the carbs and pass on the sugar….

Now you find out which foods you really like and the ones that just aren't worth the troubles they cause. As Caustic said. Portion control. Don't necessarily have to deny foods, just have to be aware their effects and act accordingly.

Careful with the carbs and pass on the sugar….

Now you find out which foods you really like and the ones that just aren't worth the troubles they cause. As Caustic said. Portion control. Don't necessarily have to deny foods, just have to be aware their effects and act accordingly.
Some of these prepared and fast foods must be shot with a carb gun. It's amazing how many carbs they can get in some of this stuff.
Read an article the average American took in ten pounds of sugars a year in 1900 from their diet today it's over a 100 pounds a year being pumped into the foods.

When she goes in to get the blood work done get it scheduled as early in the morning as possible and be sure it's a FASTING blood test. If for some reason it's not fasting it's pretty much useless determining her production of insulin.

You will learn to analyze foods to stay healthy. Some foods are almost like poison. For example catsup is about 26% sugar of some kind. All natural fruit is made to sound good for you, however many are very high in their glycemic index.

A book to help with all this kind of info is "The Calorie King, Calorie Fat and Carbohydrate Counter". Paperback the size of a Reader's Digest and has list and portion size and carbs listed.

My wife is pre-diabetic and yesterday her fasting glucose was 137. We had just come off a 48hr fast.
Have any of you had any luck lowering your blood sugar levels and keeping it down?
My Dad was considered pre-diabetic a few years ago. He started taking an hour long walk every day and lost about thirty pounds. Didn't change his diet significantly, but his blood sugar and cholesterol both stay at normal levels with the regular exercise and healthy weight.

Check out the keto diet. It's a lifestyle change.
Heard good stuff about it. We're doing fasting. No breakfast ever, lunch one day a week maybe and dinner 5 times per week. So no more than 6 meals per week.

Some of these prepared and fast foods must be shot with a carb gun. It's amazing how many carbs they can get in some of this stuff.
Read an article the average American took in ten pounds of sugars a year in 1900 from their diet today it's over a 100 pounds a year being pumped into the foods.
Yeah, we were looking at the carb content on some microwave burritos not long ago and wondered how can you pack that much sugar into something that size. And it's a "burrito" for Christ's sakes!

Check out an icing coated honey bun for fat, sugar and carbs. I was waiting in line at Walmart and read one of those closely. It was unreal what was in those and come to find out it was rated as two servings, so double everything. No wonder so many people are overweight. One would think they could come up with a cure for diabetes as it seems a lot of people struggle with it and getting worse.

Last edited:
Check out an icing coated honey bun for fat, sugar and carbs. I was waiting in line at Walmart killing time and read one of those closely. It was unreal what was in those and come to find out it was rated as two servings, so double everything. No wonder so many people are big as a barrel.
Yeah, I've never been one to eat sweets but you can get way more than you realize with the processed stuff.

My fasting blood sugar was pegging the scale. After Thanksgiving dinner last year it was near 300.
After 3 months of eating nothing but meat , eggs and REAL cheese. It was less than 100. I'm off of all diabetes meds, blood pressure meds, cholesterol meds . Near my ideal weight and feel outstanding. The food pyramid we have been taught is wrong. Plants and their fruits and seed are not good food imo. Try it for one week , I dare you... last visit to my doctor...if you don't step in front of a bus , no reason you won't live to a hundred. Type 2 diabetes is not diabetes..it's a product of your diet.